SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 13, 2007, 03:22 PM
Joined Nov 2002
596 Posts
Discussion
A photo of my friends assembly of my Cheem design.

I cut the wing and V-Tail cores, then I bagged the wings. 8.5% 7035 with carbon spar-carbon/glass skins.

My flying buddy Dale came over to my house and we layed up the fuselage and V-Tails together as a tutorial for him on fuse. layups and bagging glass over foam.

What a masterful job he has done on the assembly IMO and this is only his second glider assembly, the first being my Holmes design. Shows what you can get for a few hundred dollars and some elbow grease. (I'm not selling these and not interested in selling them) just pointing out that one doesn't need to spend $1500 to get a great flying glider. P.S. Dale also did all the paint work on the glider which I think looks great.

T.D.
Tony D. is offline Find More Posts by Tony D.
Last edited by Tony D.; Mar 14, 2007 at 08:59 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 14, 2007, 05:43 PM
San Diego
Joined Mar 2003
2,295 Posts
Very nice looking! Is that a carbon fuse? Any pics of the wing saddle area?
Ward Hagaman is online now Find More Posts by Ward Hagaman
Old Mar 14, 2007, 08:38 PM
Joined Nov 2002
596 Posts
Thanks Ward.

The fuselage is all carbon (except for the nose cone which is glass and the inner nose cone which is glass with +/- 45 degree carbon rovings) moulded in 5 pieces (including the fin which I have included a photo of). No more V-Tails from here on in.

I put a layer of .5oz. glass in the moulds first and then lay in a combination of woven and uni carbon for the front section, then a sandwich of straight uni and bias glass for the tail boom.

The fuse. is very lite, stiff and strong.

The fuse. forward section /pylon photos' are of the first one I pulled from the mould so it's rough as I was in a hurry to see what it would look like.

I'm really happy with the way it turned out and from here on in I'm going to paint them in the mould with Dupli-Color automotive paints. Good stuff!

T.D.
Old Mar 14, 2007, 09:09 PM
San Diego
Joined Mar 2003
2,295 Posts
Very nice! Did you bag the mold or use any silicone plugs to compress the layup?
Ward Hagaman is online now Find More Posts by Ward Hagaman
Old Mar 15, 2007, 11:13 AM
Joined Nov 2002
596 Posts
No silicone plugs or bagging, I just squished it in and then forced the air out of the woven carbon with gloved fingers and a couple of small wooden kitchen spoons that I modified by sharpening up the edges a bit and then with waxed/buffed them with Partall.

You can hear the hear the air coming out, it makes a kind of crackling sound as you run the tool (spoon) over the weave.

T.D.