SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 13, 2007, 04:03 AM
expensive lawndarts
Joined Mar 2007
20 Posts
Build Log
Blackhawk UH-60 Shogun

Hello all,
I'm new to Rcgroups but old to R/C. I've been doing it for more than 14 years. Anyhow, I thought I'd show everyone the build up of my Shogun V2 into a Blackhawk.

I started flying R/C helicopters alittle more than a year ago and have gotten pretty good at it. However, I've progressed to a point where I'm risking my investment by flying it high enough to do aerobatics but far enough away to loose orientation quickly. So I figured instead of smashing it into the ground upside down, I would put I really big, visible body on it and get cool-point for scale instead of 3d.

I picked up the body from a guy on ebay for $25. Although the plastic is really thin, it looks like a good mold when everything is taped together and it only weighs 2oz.

The 1st major thing I've done to it was fabricate a raised tail drive out of aluminum. I brainstormed for a few hours til I came up with the idea of using 2 belts to drive the tail rotor. I have it set up to where I can use the stock length tail boom along with the stock belt. I chose this so I can quickly convert back to the stock configuration and to keep parts accessible. I machined myself two tail boom clamps out of T-6 aluminum block and side brackets out of t-3 0.040 aluminum sheets. Then I bolted it together using 2-56 screws and nuts. It still needs 4 more screws and my bearing block but I should have that made in a few days. I mocked it together to get the second belt length. The total weight of the unit is 14 grams.

I'm still undecided on what color to paint it. I'm leaning toward the dark army green with the red cross on the nose and sides OR paint it using the coast guards red and white colors. Hmmm. Decisions.
Whiskeyfoxtrot is offline Find More Posts by Whiskeyfoxtrot
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 13, 2007, 05:07 AM
Singapore
Joined Jan 2004
1,831 Posts
Welcome to RCGroup... Whiskeyfoxtrot

Quote:
However, I've progressed to a point where I'm risking my investment by flying it high enough to do aerobatics but far enough away to loose orientation quickly. So I figured instead of smashing it into the ground upside down, I would put I really big, visible body on it and get cool-point for scale instead of 3d
.... Me too!

So your Shogun is a belt driven type. Another design on the elevated tail.

For color wise, I like Coast Guard color looks nice... But Coast Guard is Jayhawk right? (Similar to Seahawk where the tail wheel is closer to the body)

Army green also nice. Oh BTW, the green is "Olive Drab". I recommend Tamiya paint.

SH
Super_Hornet is offline Find More Posts by Super_Hornet
Old Mar 13, 2007, 03:59 PM
Team of ONE....or...Team Me
Reno, Nevada
Joined Oct 2006
797 Posts
WF,
The build looks very nice and simple, let us know the durability of your installation. Also, a quick question; How do you tension the belt for the extension into the tail section? Looks great so far.

Thx,
DT
DeadTom is online now Find More Posts by DeadTom
Old Mar 16, 2007, 03:16 AM
expensive lawndarts
Joined Mar 2007
20 Posts
I promised pictures today but I'm not able to deliver. I re-machine tail boom clamps and brackets because I wasnt satified with the way the 1st set came out. I also built in a 1/8" off set to allow both belts to travel through the center of the boom instead of rubbing the side.
I sprayed 1/2 of the body with tamiya green and it doesnt look bad but its not dark enough. Oh well.
I plan on tensioning the belts by buying 3 or 4 different belt lengths and experimenting until I get the right tension and tail rotor postion.
Whiskeyfoxtrot
Old Mar 16, 2007, 03:21 AM
It is nice, I like.
minnesota
Joined Jan 2007
415 Posts
lookin forward to these pics.
Dragonus doogie is offline Find More Posts by Dragonus doogie
Old Mar 16, 2007, 12:24 PM
Singapore
Joined Jan 2004
1,831 Posts
If u use green... then it is not the correct color for Standard U.S. military color. It should be "Olive Drab"

SH
Super_Hornet is offline Find More Posts by Super_Hornet
Old Mar 16, 2007, 06:14 PM
Sussex, UK
Crawley, West Sussex, UK
Joined Jun 2004
7,376 Posts
Be careful with camouflage colour schemes if you fly in front of trees and other greenery - it really does work and you lose orientation much more easily than with a nice bright scheme like the coast guard one.
RobinBennett is offline Find More Posts by RobinBennett
Old Mar 19, 2007, 05:00 AM
expensive lawndarts
Joined Mar 2007
20 Posts
Raised tail drive system version 2.0
Well, it took me a week of machining and mistakes but I've fabricated a stronger, more compact and more practical tail drive system. Its going to be a week or so to see if it works correctly. I've decided im going to shorten the main tail rotor tube and get a new belt for that, too. I've done this because the system will fit better in the body if its not so close to the tail.

Stay tuned for more progress!
Whiskeyfoxtrot
Old Mar 22, 2007, 04:49 AM
expensive lawndarts
Joined Mar 2007
20 Posts
I guess this is day 8 or 9 of my blackhawk build up and so far its proceeding well. I cleaned up and shimmed my tail rotor intermediate beltbox and mocked up the body to it. I did have one big problem: when the body was installed the rotor mast was tipped to the rear of the helicopter by 10 degrees. This would have given it a nose-low hover instead of the actaully tail-low hover. After more brainstorming I came up with the idea of angling the tail rotor tube downwards so its not parallel to the main rotor blades any more. I decided to go with 12 degrees of angle to be a good compromise between gear/pulley/belt alignment and the actually ~7 degrees the real black hawk has. This left me with around 2 degrees of forward angle on the mast which looks much better now.
As for the color, I got impatiant and painted 1/2 of the body Tamiya ps-7 green. Im going to wait until I hard-mount the body to paint the rest. And although its not the correct "olive drab", its the closest thing that I could find in the poly carbonate line of paints.
I think tomorrow I'll take a final measurements of the belts and send off for them.
Now I'm looking for a 4 bladed rotor system for 2 reasons. The 1st reason is to make it as scale as possible. The second reason is to prevent the flybar for wacking the body at low speed. If any one has any information on this and/or proformace differences, Id like to hear it.
Stay Tuned,
Whiskeyfoxtrot
Old Mar 22, 2007, 07:43 AM
How high does it go?..duh
Currently in...UK
Joined Jun 2004
2,639 Posts
Cool build
Pigs dont fly is offline Find More Posts by Pigs dont fly
Old Mar 22, 2007, 08:52 AM
Hopelessly hooked
South Carolina USA
Joined Jul 2005
781 Posts
It could be an optical elusion but it looks like the tail boom is angled down from the frame of the mechanics. Have you test flown the mechanics with this setup? I'm concerned about the belt tracking correctly.

great looking project though, thanks for the extra pics
Futura is offline Find More Posts by Futura
Old Apr 01, 2007, 02:44 AM
expensive lawndarts
Joined Mar 2007
20 Posts
Sweet . 1st flight with the new modifications. I'm pleased to announce that I've noticed almost no difference in the hovering behavior between the pre-blackhawk and currently.
I received the tail rotor belts from sdp-si 3 days ago. Although the belts were dead on and required no adjustment besides normal tensioning, I found there shipping rates very high. It cost $11 to ship $12 worth of belts. Oh well. During my spool up trials, I used a amp meter and found that the tail drive system with tail rotor blades in the 0 degree angle used up 2.2 amps of power. I wish I checked before I modified it to see the increase in power required to run the elevated tail rotor. I check the total flying weight and it came out to 738g. Before the conversion, it weighed 580g so the ~150g is a very small weight penalty for such a cool body.

To answer a questions; Yes, the tail boom is angled down 12 degrees. The blackhawk body won't fit unless its angled down or you'll have to run a electric motor for the tail rotor. The belt tracks fine but I may modify the drive gear to give a better grip on the belts.

I did notice one thing different while hovering and thats the gyro precision. It doesnt want to hold a constant heading anymore. No doubt, this is caused by the very small and thing push rod cable that snakes its way to the pitch slider. After a few more battery packs, I may decide to go with a better system. But for now " IT FLIES "!

I did receive a new blackhawk body. Obviously the paint color is very wrong. Also, I made the mistake of trying to warm the body for painting and it warped the nose. It still works obviously, but its an annoying flaw I wanted to remove. The new body also won't have the unaccounted holes from components changing positions.
Now I'm looking into machining a 4 bladed rotor head since I can't seem to find them for sale.

More to come after more testing.
Whiskeyfoxtrot.
Old Nov 11, 2007, 08:54 PM
expensive lawndarts
Joined Mar 2007
20 Posts
Just a quick update.
The Blackhawk flies great. As said before, I painted a new body with a different color scheme and I'm impressed with the results. The mechanics have stayed the same except for the cyclic servos were upgraded from HS-55 to HS-65 and the tail was changed to a HS-56. I checked my flight time and I usually get about 12 minutes of hovering per 2100mAH battery pack.