HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 12, 2007, 11:54 PM
Joined Feb 2007
4 Posts
Discussion
More Stability = More Control

I am new to this great hobby of RC Helicopters, and thus far it has been a lot of fun. I have a Falcon 40 from ExceedRC, and wanted to know if there were few things that could add to make it more stable. I have been practicing quite a bit, and now it seems like the tail motor is acting up. It acts normal, and mid flight stops, and starts up again a second later. However this sends the whole helicopter in a spin for that second and makes it very difficult to regain control. Is this common? Any suggestions? I know stability it what I'm going for here, and it only comes with practice, but a few mods that may help, and any ideas with the tail? Thank you in advance, I look forward to talking with all of you. Andrew
andrewd523 is offline Find More Posts by andrewd523
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 13, 2007, 12:05 AM
Joined Jan 2007
21 Posts
I'm not really an expert, but it sounds like a couple of things could be happening to me. Check your batteries in the Tx to see if they are still good. Honestly to me the most likely situation sounds like some sort of signal interference. Do you have your antenna all the way up? If you have crashed look for shorts in the receiver wire or cracks on the board in the 4 in 1. If you have a multimeter you can check the resistance of the receiver wire to make sure it is continuous. The wire on the inside can break and intermittently loose contact without any visible damage to the insulation. Also check to see that your crystals are seated properly, both in the Tx and the Rx. You can also check the caps on the main motor, and make sure that the solder is still holding. Some other ideas might be that your main or tail motor is going out, and it is causing interference. Something else you might try... go to a location that is atleast 5 or 6 miles away and see if you still get the interference. There might be some interference in the location you are flying in. This should get you started.

Also how warm are both your main and tail motors running to the touch? If they are piping hot, then it's probably time to replace them. How much flight time do you have on your bird?

I don't check all of the posts all of the time, so if you have any more q's that I can help you with, PM me, and I can either reply directly or reply in the forum so others can troubleshoot their bird.

Good luck, and I hope this helps =)
mrasmm is offline Find More Posts by mrasmm
Old Mar 13, 2007, 12:11 AM
Joined Feb 2007
4 Posts
Thank you so much for the advice on the tail motor. I have only had it for about 2 months, and both motors are not hot at all. I am going to try your ideas, but do you have any ideas for modifications to add stability? Thanks
andrewd523 is offline Find More Posts by andrewd523
Old Mar 13, 2007, 01:43 AM
Joined Dec 2006
1,019 Posts
On helis with tail motors the tail motor usually doesn't last as long as the main motor. So your tail motor could very well be on its way out. What you described with the tail motor momentarily stopping is exactly what I've seen before my tail motor completely gave up.

Little helis like the Falcon 40 aren't ever going to be as stable as larger helis, but if everything is in working order and trimmed it should fly pretty well, and start to seem easy after a bit more practice.
bilboa is offline Find More Posts by bilboa
Old Mar 13, 2007, 01:53 AM
Team Mulikow
Manila, Philippines
Joined Oct 2006
9,565 Posts
More practice= More control.

Not to malign anyone of course. But profiency comes with repetitive practice of the desired action.
Gino CP is offline Find More Posts by Gino CP
Old Mar 13, 2007, 03:52 AM
Joined Oct 2005
219 Posts
Is this a CP heli?
If it is, then perhaps your pitch setting is too high, adjust the pitch travel to a narrower range. I experienced this problem when my pitch range was set too high, the tail motor just stopped working at a certain throttle speed and the heli spun like a top. Changing the pitch range eliminated this problem.

If it is FP, then perhaps your motor is dying, as for my case, usually the motor will just stop running, I do not get intermittent run on the motor.
OETOMO is offline Find More Posts by OETOMO