HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 12, 2007, 06:00 PM
Adelaide
Joined Aug 2006
127 Posts
Discussion
Lipo Batteries & Battery trays

i just bought one of the Trackpower Lipo batteries for my SF501. the power delivery is awesome through the Novak 6.5 & i'm very impressed. but i was wondering does anyojne make a battery tray that is designed for the box shape of these lipos? i really had to squeeze the fairing around the battery to get it on & after a bad crash the fairing has worn where the corner of the battery sits inside it (not good). i might have to cut one of my existing trays up to start with, but if there is an option designed for the purpose i'll go that way.

Cheers
Jason
promugenman is offline Find More Posts by promugenman
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 12, 2007, 07:05 PM
Editor, RCCA
Joined Nov 2004
3,205 Posts
Akura2 uses the Orion 4800 pack that has a similar rectangular case, so I'm sure he'll chime in here later.

First off, you should probably start off with a Thunder Tiger battery tray instead of the NF one (if that's what you're using). The NF one is molded fro side-by-side cells where the TT one is molded for stick packs. So with the TT one, all you should have to do is cut out the corners and it should be a nice fit.

I just received a couple of the Apogee 3800 LiMn Magnum packs last week. Because they don't have the hard shell case, they fit into the TT battery tray without issue. I'm still breaking them in, but my initial response is, "Wow!!!". We'll see how they do at the next SoCal series race on the 25th.

Here's a link to the TT tray at Bruce's shop:
http://2wheelhobbies.com/product_inf...roducts_id=319
Guidoracer is offline Find More Posts by Guidoracer
Old Mar 12, 2007, 07:39 PM
Merseyside
Joined Dec 2001
202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by promugenman
i just bought one of the Trackpower Lipo batteries for my SF501. the power delivery is awesome through the Novak 6.5 & i'm very impressed. but i was wondering does anyojne make a battery tray that is designed for the box shape of these lipos? i really had to squeeze the fairing around the battery to get it on & after a bad crash the fairing has worn where the corner of the battery sits inside it (not good). i might have to cut one of my existing trays up to start with, but if there is an option designed for the purpose i'll go that way.

Cheers
Jason
Jason, what are the dimensions of the battery?? We Formby Models) have a tray tray thats longer than the standard one, which may be of some use to you.

Snooey.
snooey is offline Find More Posts by snooey
Old Mar 12, 2007, 07:59 PM
Adelaide
Joined Aug 2006
127 Posts
the dimensions fit in the stock NF tray, but the scoops at teh top of the tray for the side by side cells stops it sitting inthe tray high enough. i have a TTR tray aswell, but the sides are curved to hugg the stick packs & stops the batery sidding up high enough. this is a link to the battery i'm running, it's suppsedly better than the team orion one, but i wouldn't mind betting under the cover they're the same.

http://www.modelflight.com.au/flightpower/trakpower.htm

there's no dimensions on the link though, i'll have to measure it when i get home.

cheers
Jason
Old Mar 12, 2007, 08:35 PM
STeve B in NC
North Carolina, USA
Joined Sep 2003
7,756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guidoracer
I just received a couple of the Apogee 3800 LiMn Magnum packs last week. Because they don't have the hard shell case, they fit into the TT battery tray without issue. I'm still breaking them in, but my initial response is, "Wow!!!". We'll see how they do at the next SoCal series race on the 25th.
Are those 11.1v Lito? Can you charge them on a "regular" lipo charger (I have an Apogee adapter for my cellpro). Where can I receive one of them, too?
mollycbr123 is offline Find More Posts by mollycbr123
Old Mar 12, 2007, 08:38 PM
Editor, RCCA
Joined Nov 2004
3,205 Posts
Steve: I have the 2-cell 7.4V packs, which are only 19mm thick. The 11.1V packs are 27mm thick. I ordered a pigtail from them (PFMDistribution.com) to use to balance the packs. So yes, you can use them with your CellPro with no problem.

I just had to trim off the front end of a TT battery tray and they fit perfectly.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 08:47 PM
Adelaide
Joined Aug 2006
127 Posts
the pack i'm running is a 4 cell 2S2P pack, it has 7.4 volts, but 4900 M Amp. i'll ty the TTR tray & see if i can modify it, i may even stick it in the oven to heat it up & reshape it a little. i might mold it around a block of wood cut to the same dimensions as the battery & see how i go.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 10:21 PM
I'm hooked on RC Moto
Berkeley
Joined Jun 2006
1,145 Posts
Quote:

Cheers
Jason
Lipos are a problem like that, heck even side by side batteries are a problem for the TTE battery tray and then when you get one of them fancy racing chasis it is near impossible to keep your lipos secure.

My solution was to make a tray out of aluminum and fab up some hokie mounts.

I included some pictures ( of the hacked up stock TTE tray and the replacement ) so you could get an idea of what to do. If I could find the time I would measure it up and get it rapid prototyped at e-machine.

If you come up with any thing cool, post it up so we can see.

Stubbs (lone rc kook)
stubbyphilips is offline Find More Posts by stubbyphilips
Old Mar 13, 2007, 11:47 PM
Adelaide
Joined Aug 2006
127 Posts
well i had a chance to test out the new lipo to it's full potential last night. the thing is insane, the basketbal courts we usually mess around on weren't big enough to get it up to fullspeed safely. if it wasn't so dusty i think i'fd have been able to get a full wheely happening, but all i managed was gettting the front wheel about 1 - 2cm off the ground & some insane controlled rear wheel step outs when accelerating out of corners. i love this thing. next chance i get i'll take it to Littlehampton & get it onthe 1/8th nitro track for some fun.

http://www.rrcsa.org.au/

just need a 1/5th bike class to race in.

i'm borrowing a heat gun tonight to have a go at reshaping the TTN battery tray to get the lipo to fit properly, i'll keep you informed. my second option is to use some left over lexan to shape up a box tray & somehow attach it to the TTN mount.
Old Mar 14, 2007, 06:08 AM
Merseyside
Joined Dec 2001
202 Posts
Quote:

Cheers
Jason
Jason, we have a battery tray for long lipo's. The internal dimensions are :- 149mm long by 49mm wide. They have the usual three mounting lugs, so they whey will fit all the current bikes. This one is a test sample, but we plan to stock them in the near future, as they are suitable for some of the longer lipo's that are being used.

Snooey
Old Mar 14, 2007, 03:45 PM
PROFESSOR TRUTH JIMMY ICE
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
6,703 Posts
Any pics of the new tray?

I have the Team Orion LiPo and I'm using the TT tray... I had to cut it an mod it, mostly because the TO LiPo has those funky bullet connectors....

If the new Snooey tray has provisions for the McLarney chassis.... I'm all over it
Akura2 is offline Find More Posts by Akura2
Old Mar 14, 2007, 05:54 PM
Adelaide
Joined Aug 2006
127 Posts
the main problem i have is that the battery sits too low, the width & lenth of the TTN & NF trays are OK. They hold the battery too low to the ground due to the scoops they have moulded in to hold the sub C batteries.

to overcome the bullet connector problem i pulled out my body reamer & cut 2 holes in the tray above the connecting points & that was easily fixed. if i get time tonight i'll try to reshape the TTN tray, i picked up a couple of heat guns last night to give it a go.

if your trays are more of a box shape that doesn't have the moulded curves it will be better for sure. hopefully we'll see some battery trays from TTN & NF specifically for the team orion type batteries in their kits and on shelves soon.
Old Mar 14, 2007, 06:01 PM
Editor, RCCA
Joined Nov 2004
3,205 Posts
My LiMn packs fit nicely after grinding away the front of the tray:
Old Mar 15, 2007, 06:28 PM
Merseyside
Joined Dec 2001
202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akura2
Any pics of the new tray?

I have the Team Orion LiPo and I'm using the TT tray... I had to cut it an mod it, mostly because the TO LiPo has those funky bullet connectors....

If the new Snooey tray has provisions for the McLarney chassis.... I'm all over it
Jimmy, the tray doesn't have any shapes moulded into it, so it's ideal for the Orion lipo etc. It's not a Snooey product, it's made by another company, and we hope to be stocking a number of there products, and have them on the website very soon. If your interested in the tray, mail me at sales@formbymodels.com.

Snooey
Old Mar 16, 2007, 05:29 AM
Big thrills w/o hospital bills
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Sep 2003
3,745 Posts
Quote:
the main problem i have is that the battery sits too low, the width & lenth of the TTN & NF trays are OK. They hold the battery too low to the ground due to the scoops they have moulded in to hold the sub C batteries.

to overcome the bullet connector problem i pulled out my body reamer & cut 2 holes in the tray above the connecting points & that was easily fixed. if i get time tonight i'll try to reshape the TTN tray, i picked up a couple of heat guns last night to give it a go.

if your trays are more of a box shape that doesn't have the moulded curves it will be better for sure. hopefully we'll see some battery trays from TTN & NF specifically for the team orion type batteries in their kits and on shelves soon.
Hi Jason,.. just give me the dimentions of your pack and I'll vac some up for you, no probs.. Made to messure..! I have PayPal now, but I have'nt used it yet, so I'm a bit of a novice with that at the mo.. Send me an email and we can work something out..

I've made a few different types of trays for all my weired sized lipo packs,.. but I only use Orion 4800 lipos now in my mod bike.. (Turned all the other 7.4v packs into 11.1v packs for my helies)..

Shaun
scaulfi is offline Find More Posts by scaulfi