Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 11, 2007, 08:47 PM
Pasco County Florida
Joined Dec 2006
1,111 Posts
Discussion
Slow Stick X build - a second one

The last time I built a kit was before a lot of you reading this were born, way before. Somewhere between 35 and 40 years. I also am a born again RC pilot, having flown RC back then also. Never was very good at it and only flew for a little over a year. Kits back then were trial and error type of fit up. 12 hour epoxy was just making its appearance. I have recently taught myself to fly with a standard Slow Stick and have quickly gotten to the point I need more of an airplane. Hence my interest in the SSX wing kit. Looked to me like a good way to have some fun building something again and get more performance from the SS.

I had never used CA for gluing wood before today. Ran out and had to make a run to Walmart and buy a couple of homeowner size bottles. I am really impressed with the way the SSX laser cut balsa fell out of the sheets of balsa. The accuracy of the pieces also, too good. Every part so far has been a precision fit. Way different than my memories of kit building years ago. The CA makes building terrific as well. Dab of CA and move on. No more T pins and letting it sit overnight every time you glue something. Cool !

I did make two mistakes with the wing. Neither one will affect the final outcome so I just left them. See if you can spot them in my pictures. One of them I cannot believe I missed. Can't see the forest for the trees type of thing I guess.

Getting the needed sheets out for removing the parts.

Wing parts punched out.

Ribs assembled on the spar crutch.

More pictures to come.
Bob
Bayward is offline Find More Posts by Bayward
Last edited by Bayward; Mar 11, 2007 at 09:40 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 11, 2007, 08:52 PM
Pasco County Florida
Joined Dec 2006
1,111 Posts
Leading edge, trailing edge and bass wood spars added.

Servo deck installed.

Planking installed. Leading edge finished and entire wing sanded to shape.

More to follow.

Bob
Old Mar 11, 2007, 08:55 PM
Pasco County Florida
Joined Dec 2006
1,111 Posts
Wing tips cleaned up and wing tip parts installed.

Saddles made up with the front one installed and rear one in place for the picture.

More to come.

Bob
Old Mar 13, 2007, 07:37 PM
Pasco County Florida
Joined Dec 2006
1,111 Posts
The tail parts glued up and the carbon fiber strips added.

The servo deck being checked for servo fit.

The tail parts and ailerons cleaned up and final sanded. This included rounding the all the edges except the hinged edges. Which were beveled at approximately 45.

More to come.

Bob
Old Mar 13, 2007, 07:40 PM
Pasco County Florida
Joined Dec 2006
1,111 Posts
The holding fixture for the horizontal and vertical stabilizer made up and sanded.

The vertical stabilizer being test fit.

More to come.

Bob
Old Mar 13, 2007, 08:06 PM
Joined May 2006
2,854 Posts
OK I'll bite. I noticed some of the ribs have little rectangular slots cut in them. BTW pretty building board.

Looking good . Now if I come down I'm going to have to have my SSS with Wasp wing done. Yes SSS Super Slow Stick. 327 Chevy powered. Sis said no rain on her end of town.

OK I found it . Nothing a #11 blade and some sand paper can't handle.
nubee 1 is offline Find More Posts by nubee 1
Last edited by nubee 1; Mar 13, 2007 at 08:12 PM.
Old Mar 13, 2007, 08:55 PM
Pasco County Florida
Joined Dec 2006
1,111 Posts
Yeah if you make it down here Ken you will have to bring something for the SS besides a lowly OEM foam wing. Cannot have something as classy as the SSX wing mingling with common foam.

You got one of the mistakes. I put the ribs with the rectangle cutouts in the wrong place. They should have been the ribs on the wing tips. Hard to believe I did not even catch that until after the CA had been applied.

Bob
Old Mar 15, 2007, 06:47 PM
Pasco County Florida
Joined Dec 2006
1,111 Posts
This is driving me nuts waiting to test fly this kit. The covering arrived today completely squashed. The box was mangled. I guess I will try to find something to cover it with at the LHS this weekend.

What hinges should I use for this kit, tape ? Or what would you recommend ?

Bob
Old Mar 15, 2007, 07:30 PM
Joined May 2006
2,854 Posts
On a wood kit I allways used CA hinges. Pick some up at the hobby shop or after covering, tape would be fine. Thats my 2 cents
My 3 extra aluminum booms , plastic kit and two sets of 3" nylon wheels came in today. I got parts enough to build a fleet of boom planes. 59 & sprinkling.

Ken
Old Mar 16, 2007, 12:58 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayward
This is driving me nuts waiting to test fly this kit. The covering arrived today completely squashed. The box was mangled. I guess I will try to find something to cover it with at the LHS this weekend.

What hinges should I use for this kit, tape ? Or what would you recommend ?

Bob
Use the recommended tape hinges. They work great for me.
jkarpy is offline Find More Posts by jkarpy
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 18, 2007, 07:30 PM
Pasco County Florida
Joined Dec 2006
1,111 Posts
Picked up some covering and found time today to start covering the SSX kit. The last time I covered a model plane I used silkspan and dope. Been a while, eh ? The iron on stuff is quite different to say the least. The flat pieces are pretty easy. The main wing is more challenging, at least to a first timer. I do not have a clue how much this stuff shrinks so I do not know how tight I have to keep it for the initial sticking to the balsa. I will find out in the next few days when the install is finished and it is time to shrink the covering. Oh well, there is enough red left over to do it again and a roll of the yellow is only ~ $13.00 if I did not get it tight enough.

The horizontal stabilizer.

The elevator.

A portion of the main wing being covered. The wing will also get some of the red for trim.

Bob
Old Mar 18, 2007, 08:14 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Picked up some covering and found time today to start covering the SSX kit. The last time I covered a model plane I used silkspan and dope. Been a while, eh ? The iron on stuff is quite different to say the least. The flat pieces are pretty easy. The main wing is more challenging, at least to a first timer. I do not have a clue how much this stuff shrinks so I do not know how tight I have to keep it for the initial sticking to the balsa. I will find out in the next few days when the install is finished and it is time to shrink the covering. Oh well, there is enough red left over to do it again and a roll of the yellow is only ~ $13.00 if I did not get it tight enough.

Bob
Sorry the video is not done yet. I have been busy getting China started on production You may have already seen this note at the top of my build thread. Anyway here in is again.

Wing Tips: I use a heat gun at high setting and divide the wrinkles evenly throughout the wing tip. I then use the heat to shrink out the wrinkles. At the same time I am pulling and stretching around the wing tip edge. I also use my fingers to brace the wing tip to prevent it from breaking. Use your thumb and index finger to grip the covering and the remaining fingers push the opposite side of the tip you are covering. If you have a hot grip glove it helps. Ultra cote is best but you should be able to get good results with Monokote. The yellow plane below is covered with Monokote.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by jkarpy; Mar 19, 2007 at 10:25 AM.
Old Mar 18, 2007, 08:31 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:

The horizontal stabilizer.

Bob
Tip! Tack all four corners first; just like you are putting a sheet on a bed. Keep wrinkles to a minimum. Use low heat just in case you mess-up. This way you can pull the covering off and start over. Then tack the middle leading and trailing edge. Next tack the middle tip and middle/center of the center decking. Now turn the heat up. Run the iron up the main spar and start pulling the covering over the lading and trailing edge while ironing it down. Save the wing tips for last. I typically have about 2 of overhang on the covering when doing the wing. After you trim it off, you can use the leftover for the ailerons.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by jkarpy; Mar 19, 2007 at 10:24 AM.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 06:42 PM
Pasco County Florida
Joined Dec 2006
1,111 Posts
Here are the parts covered. Not too bad for the first time I have ever used iron on covering. A few small wrinkles here and there, but overall I am happy with my results. As soon as the hinge tape gets here the SSX will be ready for final balance and then the maiden. Maybe this weekend.

Bob
Old Mar 21, 2007, 06:47 PM
Joined May 2006
2,854 Posts
Looks good Bob. Is this one going to be brushless ? And I can see that wing is flat.

Ken