SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Harv, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 11, 2007, 05:22 PM
Dert Farmur
Saskatchewan
Joined Jan 2005
799 Posts
Discussion
Third stage

The great outdoors...

Around Xmas time during a fit of boredom I clicked on the Hobby Lobby banner at the top of the page for the first time. Yes, in two years I had never clicked there, simply because I figured airplanes were too much hassle what with balsa, covering, construction time and the like. They also needed nice grass to flop on, or a good runway if they had wheels. I browsed around a bit without much interest until I clicked on something called Alfa, and saw a picture of a Wildcat on the page.

And the rest, as they say (who are they anyways?), is history. I have more than a few shelves stuffed full of various hardcover books on WWII, and most of those center on air power, and most of those focus on the Pacific theater. Over years of reading I've had a few "favorite" aircraft, either due to their design, looks or place in history. The Wildcat was an early favorite for a number of reasons, and seeing that it was made from foam and could be flown in a couple of hours really grabbed my interest. However, as it was still an airplane that needed a landing area I didn't do much more than read the review and discover the Electric Warbirds and Parkflyer forums here. The airplane seed had been planted though, and it didn't take long to germinate.

While down in Palm Springs visiting my parents I picked up an ungainly looking RTF called a Slo-V. Seeing as it is rarely windy there it was a good way to learn about takeoffs and landings, and being waaaay easier to fly than a helicopter it was really fun and relaxing. Upon returning to the frigid wastelands I got a Hobbyzone Super Cub, both for its scale looks and relaxing flight. I learned more about flying airplanes in the wind, and started dwelling on what might be needed for an airstrip. I didn't spend too much time thinking about it though, as I put 3" wheels on the Super Cub and found it would easily fly from and land on almost any sort of surface with them.

A couple of weeks later I was skimming the forums, and out of the blue I happened to see a post about a Beaufighter! Now of all of my fav planes, this one was at the top of the list, and as soon as I saw it was from the same company as the Wildcat I knew I just had to have it. Not only had the seed sprouted but it was on its way to being a redwood already, and the winter wasn't even over yet.

So I'm now almost finished the build of the Beaufighter, and am barely resisting clicking the Order button for an Alfa Wildcat. Now all I need to do is build an airstrip, wait for spring and go flying.

I wonder what phase 4 will be...?
Harv is offline Find More Posts by Harv
Last edited by Harv; Apr 07, 2007 at 05:24 PM.
to remove ads between posts