HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 11, 2007, 03:53 PM
Joined Sep 2005
154 Posts
Build Log
Scratch Build 24th Scale (50" Span) Lancaster

A little while ago now a friend of mine completed his 50" Scratch built Lancaster and it flew a treat.

I have now decided to follow suit with a full balsa construction using scale drawings and his original molds for the turrets, canopy and nacelles. Where I intend to deviate is in trying to lighten the aircraft using lighter motors, lipo battery and a generally lighter construction. Another deviation will be that he had a split fuselage with a one piece wing where as I intend to connect mine either side of the fuselage using a carbon wing tube.

Here are a few pictures of my initial build of the wings. I am now at the stage where I will soon be ready to put the top sheeting on the wing. I have yet to finish all the reinforcing where the wing tube goes through the ribs.
sutlane is offline Find More Posts by sutlane
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 12, 2007, 03:56 AM
Light and floaty does it
Cambridge, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Sep 2004
2,859 Posts
That's nice. Where's the big scale drawing sourced from?
Would your friend be interested in selling a set of transparencies?
Work in Progress is offline Find More Posts by Work in Progress
Old Mar 12, 2007, 04:06 AM
Newcastle NSW
Joined May 2004
438 Posts
Subscribed! What i wouldnt do for a Lanc model. We have a Lanc down here at the local aviation museum, the flight manual and maintenance manual are interesting reads.

Ace
highace1 is offline Find More Posts by highace1
Old Mar 12, 2007, 05:55 PM
Joined Sep 2005
154 Posts
The scale drawing is from the formerly MAP circa 1970 ish and is 48th scale. Unfortunately it is becoming very aged and fragile and has been damaged with some glue at one time or another. There is a guy in Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire that is distributing some of the MAP/Nexus scale drawings but at the moment does not list the Lancaster plan on the website, I will ring him soon to find out what happened to it.

I will ask about the canopy, turret and nacelle moldings, I have attached a pic of his lancaster with them on but they can now be a lot clearer as we have a better supply of material for canopies etc. How much were you thinking for a set of vac formed parts, any ideas of a "going rate"?

Here is a link to the thread I did when his first flew last year.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...atch+lancaster
Old Mar 13, 2007, 02:14 AM
Light and floaty does it
Cambridge, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Sep 2004
2,859 Posts
I remember it well from that thread, that was why I asked about the transparencies, which are very close to scale, excellent shapes. 15 to 18 plus P&P? (accepted they will need a decently stout box)
Work in Progress is offline Find More Posts by Work in Progress
Old Mar 13, 2007, 06:24 AM
The "pro" in procrastination
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Mar 2004
2,661 Posts
Sutlane,

Can't....help....myself....need....plans...!!! Seriously, I'd buy a set of plans from you if made them available. They wouldn't need to be publication quality either; just general layout, rib and former outlines, that kind of thing. I'm in an "operational pause" scratchbuilding a Guillow's B-17, so you can see I'm no stranger to self-inflicted pain....

Keep posting progress!

Steve
Steve85 is offline Find More Posts by Steve85
Old Mar 13, 2007, 04:02 PM
Superhero, Third Class
Carson City, NV
Joined Nov 2000
888 Posts
You might want to reconsider a one-piece wing; you'll pay a weight penalty having to join two halves together.

Jeff
astroboy is offline Find More Posts by astroboy
Old Mar 18, 2007, 04:00 PM
Joined Sep 2005
154 Posts
Firstly here are a few more pics from the build, all the rib strengthening is now in and one wing is now fully sheeted. I am starting to look at the nacelles and I will hopefully start construction on them this week. Sorry that the build is a little slow but you know how it is with work.

As for the plans obviously I cannot post here as I do not hold the copyright but I can give you any of my own drawings for rib sections, fuselage etc, maybe this will help. As such I have attached my ribs that are in Corel Draw.