SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Harv, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 11, 2007, 02:45 PM
Dert Farmur
Saskatchewan
Joined Jan 2005
799 Posts
Discussion
The early years

Hmmm, a blog. Never done a blog before. Is this where I tell about how I got started in R/C, where I'm going, and how many rubles I've dropped along the way? If so, let's start with the first phase...

The helicopter era...

It all began with a trip to the West Edmonton Mall in January of 2005. Bored to tears from wandering amongst all of the clothing type stores with Management, I wandered into a Radio Shack and saw a funny looking helicopter called the Bladerunner. Having always dreamed of flying an R/C helo I figured for a hundred bucks it was worth a try, so I begged off more clothes & shoe shopping and took it up to the hotel room to try out.

And the rest, as they say, is history. Not only did it fly, it flew well, and I was immediately hooked on R/C flight. Shortly after I discovered RC Groups, and started doing some serious reading, which led me to ordering a Hirobo XRB, which was a huge step up in quality and flight experience. Now addicted to indoor flight I also picked up a Plantraco MicroBlimp for something different, (although this purchase would come back to haunt my wallet in about 18 months).

Once spring arrived and I found the XRB wasn't going to cut it outside, much reading was done to choose a suitable summer chopper. The fixed pitch Corona was popular here as an excellent starter unit, and after building and flying mine for the summer months I was in total agreement. I added a Co-pilot stabilization system and a nice scale Jet Ranger fuselage and was in R/C heli heaven for the summer.

And then in the fall of 05 I saw a T-Rex. Or more specifically I saw a T-Rex in a nice compact aluminum carry case. Always wanting to take my helo with me, but having trouble finding space and a suitable box the Corona stayed home too many times for my liking. Before I knew it I had 2 T-Rex's built (one main unit with another Jet Ranger fuselage, and a backup/sport flier), another complete kit in the box for parts and a simulator to keep me busy on the windy days. After doing some quick math on the now quite sizable investment I now had in helicopters, everything but the Rex's and blimp was sold, and until November of 06 I was content with the T-Rex's and my place in the hobby.

And then I made the mistake of checking Plantraco's website, and the second phase was soon to begin...
Harv is offline Find More Posts by Harv
Last edited by Harv; Mar 11, 2007 at 05:23 PM.
to remove ads between posts