HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 08, 2002, 03:43 PM
Cedar Park, Texas, United States
Joined Jul 2002
1,436 Posts
Has anyone built one of the Lanier U2s for slope flying?

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...1&I=LXX405&P=0

I figured with standard servos and a 1000mah nimh pack it would come out around 32-34oz. That is in 7oz area of wing loading. One of the guys I work with, and I are talking about getting a couple of them to fly on the slopes.

Your thoughts.
McGrrr is offline Find More Posts by McGrrr
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2002, 10:23 PM
No fuse too fat
USA, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Apr 2002
3,906 Posts
SD-Flyer,
I haven't built one, but I can tell you what I think...

A 7oz wingloading is awfully light. It may not be the most exciting plane at that weight. But if you are looking for something to fly in very light wind, it'll be a fun plane.

The layout of the plane itself is ideal for a sloper. The high aspect ratio wing will glide well and long tail moment will make it nice and steady in the air. I'd be tempted to build a crunchie with the same dimensions, using a 7% RG14 or something along those lines. At around 110oz the wingloading would be about 25oz/sq ft. A plane like that would certainly haul a55.

If anything, at that size it will be a good crowd pleaser. And for $20 you can't go wrong. I say go for it.

Russ.
slopeiron is offline Find More Posts by slopeiron
Old Oct 08, 2002, 11:19 PM
That Freeking Laird Guy
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Feb 2002
9,240 Posts
Yoy would probably have to do some serious mods to the wing. It's not designed to carry that kind of weight. You might snap a wing just from air loads if you pulled a loop. I have seen a few guys try to convert the foam free flight gliders into slopers. They all were somewhat lacking in the "fly good" department.

If your bored then what the heck give it a go. But if your after a decent flying plane you might try looking at something designed to fly on the slope.

Besides that thing looks about as close to a U-2 as my Callaway 3-wood.

Now if you can find one of them foam 747s that guys were flying on electric motors a few years back for cheap, that would be very cool. They flew quite well on e-power. Problem was the price of them.

TFLG
TFLG is offline Find More Posts by TFLG
Old Oct 09, 2002, 02:33 AM
Joined Jul 2002
1,436 Posts
Oh, I would definately reinforce the wing with cf, spruce or basswood. I'd also run a cf tube down the midline of the fuse. I just think that the wing area would make for a good sloper, even in light lift. Plus it isn't as fragile as a 2 meter balsa plane. Plus it is only $27. I think I'm gonna order one. I'll let you all know how it goes.
Old Oct 09, 2002, 02:35 AM
Certified Slopehead
San Diego, CA.
Joined Jan 2001
2,268 Posts
Cool, so you'll have it ready to fly at Poway this weekend.....
tenover is offline Find More Posts by tenover
Old Oct 09, 2002, 03:49 AM
Joined Jul 2002
1,436 Posts
LOL! Yeah right! As a family man you know better than that. I did get my Boomerang done tonight.
Old Oct 09, 2002, 10:20 AM
Lifes 2 short, go sloping
colorado @ 5500feet
Joined Sep 2001
1,054 Posts
The U2 will do great on the slope...but for the high CA winds you are better to not go as light as possible but make it good and strong! I
f you do nothing else put a heavy stip of stapping tape on the leading edge of the wing for streanth and make the tips strong with the tape too...I got my wing run over by a city bus with 3 sets of wheels and it flew just fine afterwards! and I had a good set of tread marks for show!

I made a 54" Wing span ultra flyer for the slope and to worked great! I used a basswood spare (much stiffer than carbon rod) and I put a cf spare under the nose but didn't get it back to the wing join and on a good crash it snapped at the front of the wing joint. So make sure your cf rod goes back past the wing join.

Mine was great in light winds and a good thermaler but in the heavier winds in was tough to penitrate.

I made the tail 2mm cloraplast and it was very stable.
Vinnya42 is offline Find More Posts by Vinnya42