HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 11, 2007, 05:50 AM
Fly Big, Fly Hard!
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
922 Posts
Discussion
Covering a Plane (Ultracote)???

Can anyone offer any help, advice or links to web site that show you step by step how to use Ultacote to cover a plane?

I just bought an S&B P47 Thunderbolt warbird and I am going to cover it in chrome film. I have done an S&B plane before (Komet) but this a totally new finish and I have no idea how to go about it.

Does anyone live in Brisbane that can help me? I'll pay for services for someone to cover it for me.

Or even better are there any web links with video to show you how?

Royster is offline Find More Posts by Royster
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 11, 2007, 07:02 AM
It's a trap!
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Feb 2006
3,143 Posts
Google is your friend.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Articles...ArticleID=1115
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Articles...ArticleID=1472
http://www.yourzagi.com/covering.htm
http://www.scootworks.com/rdrc/covering.html

Etc, etc, not to mention all sorts of info to be had right here on RCGroups itself.

I would suggest though that this isn't something you want to screw around with yourself if you've never done it given the price of Ultracote and that lump of foam you have. Try and find someone that has some experience with applying that sort of covering.
GotrekGurnisson is offline Find More Posts by GotrekGurnisson
Old Mar 11, 2007, 04:39 PM
gawler, South Australia
Joined Jul 2006
3,672 Posts
Hi Guys

Something to consider is the heat range of the film, If it is too hot you might melt the foam underneath, try on a scrap piece first.
rcozstyle is offline Find More Posts by rcozstyle
Old Mar 11, 2007, 04:53 PM
Fly Big, Fly Hard!
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
922 Posts
Thanks G.G

I'll see if I ca fins some on ebay and play with that on my lump of foam

Are you any good at it?

Otherwise I'll get S&B to do it, bu at 125 bucks it hurts a bit
Old Mar 11, 2007, 06:46 PM
Fly Big, Fly Hard!
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcozstyle
Hi Guys

Something to consider is the heat range of the film, If it is too hot you might melt the foam underneath, try on a scrap piece first.
Thanks I have a GWS ME109 thats stuffed so I'll practice on that with some covering thats on special or cheap.

I heard some guys use a travel iron and get great results.

Anyway if its too hard I'll get a expert to do it.

Any guys in Brisbane interested in helping me out?
Old Mar 11, 2007, 06:59 PM
gawler, South Australia
Joined Jul 2006
3,672 Posts
Hi Royster
You should be able to buy a filming iron from about $20 - $50, trust me it is well worth it.
rcozstyle is offline Find More Posts by rcozstyle
Old Mar 11, 2007, 09:01 PM
Fly Big, Fly Hard!
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
922 Posts
Sounds good as I have bought a glow plane for a very good price and wan to recover it and make it look like new

Is it very time consuming, like a whole day or a whole week?
Old Mar 11, 2007, 09:13 PM
KE your cub.
in the gutter, again....
Joined Jun 2005
4,108 Posts
FYI, oracover, ultracote and profilm are pretty much the same thing.

And yes, get the film iron, and a bunch of sox, it's worth it to make that plane look the part.
Curare is offline Find More Posts by Curare
Old Mar 11, 2007, 09:43 PM
GOK
Turkey, Izmir
Joined Aug 2005
1,302 Posts
Royster,

I exclusively use wife's home iron It does the job just fine. You just have to be very careful to not melt the film, because if you do, it gets very messy and difficult to clean the iron.

I've covered a several of my foamies with iron on film. I either usually use so-lite (from worldmodels). Toghlon and oracoat and stuff are quite heavy and add a lot of weight plus they need high temperature to adhere which makes it risky for foam models.

I know, PLDANIELS also sells laminating film which is transparent. This might be handy if you want do paint after filming for a better finish. Apperantly this material is very strong as well.

Cheers,

GOK
GOK is offline Find More Posts by GOK
Old Mar 11, 2007, 11:42 PM
Fly Big, Fly Hard!
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
922 Posts
Thanks GOK

I'll contact Paul

So, that would mean covering foamies is good thing?
Old Mar 12, 2007, 12:18 AM
It's a trap!
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Feb 2006
3,143 Posts
You should be able to get a small film iron for about $20. The one I have is the one half-way down this page - http://www.modelflight.com.au/access...for_models.htm It works fine on EPS/EPP. I have used Paul's laminating film on a couple of planes, but not Ultracote or similar type films. Personally, I'll be avoiding using film ever again on foam planes because you can never use enough heat to get a really good bond. It always starts lifting after a few flights. There are some low temp films around, but personally I think your life might be easier with paint.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 12:36 AM
GOK
Turkey, Izmir
Joined Aug 2005
1,302 Posts
I agree with Gotrek that paint is much easier, but film really gives significant strength to a foam model. Plus, if you don't mind shiny WWII models, film gives a much better fiinish and lasts longer.

If I really want to spend time on a model and build it right, My preference is fiberglassing. .5 or .75 oz fiberglass cloth with water based polyurathene (I just use floor warnish stuff from Bunnings). It makes it really sturdy and allows for an excellent finish, after painting. (After glassing, you can use any paint you like because the sealent actually prevents the paint sinking into the foam).

This process is a bit time consuming though.

Cheers,

GOK
GOK is offline Find More Posts by GOK
Old Mar 12, 2007, 01:28 AM
KE your cub.
in the gutter, again....
Joined Jun 2005
4,108 Posts
I tried doing a similar method to the old dope and tissue technique on my cap 10, using WBPU and tissue. It added about 6 or 7 grams to the total aircraft and gave it a nice tough shell.

For more info, check this Depron Cap 10 build
Curare is offline Find More Posts by Curare
Old Mar 12, 2007, 01:52 AM
Fly Big, Fly Hard!
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotrekGurnisson
You should be able to get a small film iron for about $20. The one I have is the one half-way down this page - http://www.modelflight.com.au/access...for_models.htm It works fine on EPS/EPP. I have used Paul's laminating film on a couple of planes, but not Ultracote or similar type films. Personally, I'll be avoiding using film ever again on foam planes because you can never use enough heat to get a really good bond. It always starts lifting after a few flights. There are some low temp films around, but personally I think your life might be easier with paint.

Did you find that Pauls film gave extra strenght to your EPS model?
Old Mar 12, 2007, 06:37 AM
It's a trap!
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Feb 2006
3,143 Posts
Initially I was quite impressed, but eventually I found it to be a PITA. It is impossible to get it to conform nicely around complex curved surfaces (and even not so complex ones) and you can never seal it at a high enough temperature. This means that the film starts to lift pretty quickly. Not sure about the Ultracote, but the laminating film needs around 100-150C to really get a good bond. That's fine when using it on balsa (which is what Paul actually sells it for), but obviously that's not a possibility with foam. I can't say whether it would give extra strength or not. It certainly adds plenty of weight, I know that much.