http://www.rcmmagazine.com/store/sto...PfWBUQeOs1G8H7
Mirage1 is offline Find More Posts by Mirage1
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 08, 2007, 06:59 PM
May the Wind Always be Good
Webster, Minnesota
Joined Feb 2007
495 Posts
Used to fly with Bob Hansing here is a photo of Bob and the Durex V do a search on the Durex there is some good stuff on it here in this group Thanks Mr. Kite
Mr. Kite is online now Find More Posts by Mr. Kite
Old Mar 08, 2007, 08:02 PM
Minnetonka, Minnesota, USA
Joined Jan 2005
241 Posts
In the picture of three guys, who is the one in the white T-Shirt? Didn't he drive down from Duluth just about every weekend just to fly? If it's the fellow I'm thinking of, I remember being very impressed watching him handle a Sailaire that popped off the winch line. Nice save.

Tim
Esprit2 is offline Find More Posts by Esprit2
Old Mar 08, 2007, 08:29 PM
France, RA, Grenoble
Joined Sep 2006
1 Posts
Excellent build thread here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=445676

-Brian
arcsin is offline Find More Posts by arcsin
Old Mar 08, 2007, 11:40 PM
May the Wind Always be Good
Webster, Minnesota
Joined Feb 2007
495 Posts
The fellow in the white t-shirt is Steve Bowman from Duluth
Mr. Kite is online now Find More Posts by Mr. Kite
Old Mar 08, 2007, 11:54 PM
Gladstone, MO
Joined Jan 2006
356 Posts
I built one last fall and got to fly it several times before it got too cold and nasty here. I have had it out three times this year and will be taking it out tomorrow. Here is my build gallery if you are interested.

My idea was to build an entry level cross country plane so I extended the wing span to 163Ē and changed the airfoil and added flaps which I really donít think are needed for normal flying. Iíve flown quite a bit with out using the flaps other than for landing (spoilers are linked to the flaps), they are not needed for launch and I think they do some good in a thermal as you can slow down. When reflexed she will move out nicely, better than with out. I beefed up the spars with some carbon and can launch hard from a 6V motered winch. My longest flight so far has been one hour and twenty minutes and force it down as I was getting cold. The Durex flies very nicely, very predictable, has a very gentle stall and tells you when you are in good air. I find it intimidating to land because of its size but the flaps help slow it down and the flap/spoilers set it down almost where I want it.

I really liked the way it was designed to have a lot of material to shape the fuselage to a nice rounded cross section, makes for a nice looking airplane. There is plenty of room in side to put anything you want and have plenty of room to spare.

It is a project but if you like to build then Iíd say go for it!

Jim
www.theshope.net
jbrandon is offline Find More Posts by jbrandon
Old Mar 09, 2007, 03:06 PM
Savannah, Georgia
Joined Jan 2005
137 Posts
Jim ,

Are you interested in selling some full sized copies of the Rib templates and a drawing of how you extended the wing?
Old Mar 09, 2007, 06:32 PM
Gladstone, MO
Joined Jan 2006
356 Posts
No, I don't want to sell them but would surely give them to you. I used Profili to do the ribs, if you donít have it it is a nice to have program and is inexpensive. But I could print to PDF and email you those and you could print. I donít have a drawing of the wing extension, all I did was extend the each root panel 6Ē and tip the same amount leaving all existing lines straight. I increased the flying surfaces 12%, the rudder is higher and 1Ē wider, the stab is just longer. So far the rudder seems to have good authority. I know this will bring up some controversy about design and I do not pretend to hold any higher education in aircraft design, I just build and fly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirage1
Jim ,

Are you interested in selling some full sized copies of the Rib templates and a drawing of how you extended the wing?
jbrandon is offline Find More Posts by jbrandon
Old Mar 09, 2007, 10:22 PM
Savannah, Georgia
Joined Jan 2005
137 Posts
Jim I have sent you a PM.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ht=yankee+soar