Old Mar 07, 2007, 04:18 PM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Discussion
Installing Dubro Cat No 117 hinges

I am seeking help from experienced users of this type of hinge.
For those who wonder what these hinges are _ _ _
They are made of nylon.
They measure 0.612 inch wide (along the span of a wing or stabilizer) and 1.070 inch long. They have a metal pin as a rotation axis that is splitting the 1.070 dimension in half. So 0.5 inch goes into the stab (let us say) and 0.5 inch goes into the evevators. The 0.070 remaining is the part into which the metal pin is.

Sorry I cannot make a drawing here, thus the above details for people visualization i they are not familiar with the Dubro Cat No 117 hinges.

The problem is due to their thickness of 0.035 inch thick. We cannot just make a cut with a #11 blade due to their thickness.

I have 88 slots to make (building two biplanes).

Anyone with a practical solution?

Thanks for any helping reply.

Zor
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 07, 2007, 05:40 PM
29 rods from you in western WI
Joined Jan 2003
4,885 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zor
I have 88 slots to make (building two biplanes).
Oog. My hands hurt just reading that. Eleven slots per aileron x 8 wing panels? Hire the neighbor kid for the weekend.

There are picks and diggers of various shapes out there designed to remove a hinge-thick chunk of wood. You'll want to jig up your wing TE and ail LE stock to keep everything aligned. Door-type hinges are one of the most friction free hinges around -- if they aren't misaligned.

One option to consider is hinge points. They use a hinge pin or rivet and move freely, but install with just a drilled hole. The holes still need to be properly aligned.
Karl Bē is offline Find More Posts by Karl Bē
Old Mar 07, 2007, 06:24 PM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Dear Karl B2
Thanks for your comments. They are appreciated.

There is not 11 (eleven) slots per aileron X (times) 8 wing panels.

First slots have to be an even number (two per hinge).

Here are more details on quantity.
I am building two biplanes.

Rudder has four hinges, that is 8 slots.
Each elevator has three hinges. That is 6 slots each

Total for rudder and elevators is 4 + 6 hinges. That is 20 slots.

Each model has four ailerons and 3 hinges per aileron. That is 12 hinges for each plane and that makes 24 slots. We then have 48 slots for ailerons for two biplanes.

Resume fpr two planes _ _ _
Rudders 16 slots
Elevators 24 slots
Ailerons 48 slots

16 + 24 + 48 = 88 slots.

I had to re-evaluate based on your comments.
At least your were kind enough to reply, thanks for that.

All the best to you,

Zor (an old modeler from the 1950s).
Old Mar 07, 2007, 09:53 PM
that tree ate my plane
oklahoma city oklahoma
Joined Apr 2004
1,647 Posts
i have never used it but you could try a hinge slotter
rotccapt is offline Find More Posts by rotccapt
Old Mar 08, 2007, 11:33 AM
United States, PA, Beaver
Joined Sep 2001
3,521 Posts
Not sure how hard the wood is, but the Great Pains Hinge slotter works pretty well for soft to med balsa. On hard balsa ( which is usually used for TEs) it tends to take a while to cut, and the motor gets rather warm after a few slots so I let it rest after a few cuts. I have the corded one, but I hear the cordless one doesn't work all that well.
So far it's really the only Great Pains item that I have tried that actually works as advertised AND seems to hold up after some use. I've only cut hinge slots for CA hinges, but I know they make (or used to) blades for the hinges like you are describing.

They also sell a Jig to help align the tool, but don't waste your $$$. I picked one up at a swap meet for a few bucks and it wasn't even worth that. The jig is a good idea, just poorly executed. Since you'll be doing close to 100 hinges you may want to make a jig.
rcav8r2 is offline Find More Posts by rcav8r2
Old Mar 08, 2007, 05:42 PM
Crossville, TN
Joined Dec 2004
2,907 Posts
The powered hinge slot cutters cannot do the forward end slots on inset / barndoor ailerons. Just my own experience with it.
Gave mine away and went back to the Goldberg slotting tools..much more accurate and user friendly.
art
Art Schmitz is offline Find More Posts by Art Schmitz
Old Mar 12, 2007, 12:48 AM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Problem solved

I was not aware that Dubro sells a "hinge slotter kit" Cat No 660 $10.99 CDN specially designed to cut the slots to install their Cat No117 hinges. This kit also has cutters for all three sizes of Dubro hinges.
For interested readers Dubro also have kit No 216 which is the same set of tools as 660 but without the handles. The handles are sure worth their extra dollar each.
The kit comes with a centering guide that will adjust from about 1/8 inch material up to 3/4 inch material. This guide centers the cutting tool and keep the slots in a straight line. The cutting tools are tempered steel and very stong enough for their purpose. They are very sharp and of course anyone could touch them up if they become a little dull.
I have 12 slots done by now with both ailerons installed on the lower wing (hinges not glued yet till final permanent assembly.
Average time to make a slot is about 3 minutes. I am a slow careful worker Ha Hee Ha ! It works very well.
The advantage of this type of hinge is that it can fit in a rather thin TE or control surface LE and has no friction offered to the servos (none worth talking about).

Thanks to all that had the kindness of giving advice.
Zor