HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by steve wenban, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 07, 2007, 03:43 PM
Crikey never leave beer behind
Mt Annan Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2003
23,424 Posts
Discussion
mould making

I thought I'd posted this already but seems like I didnt , anyway here's a photo sequence of my son making a mould .
Just to add a little to my sons statements polyester resin is not a great mould making material as it is far to brittle it also sucks water like a sponge and is damaged to easy and hard to repair the. The vinylester has an epoxy matrix and is far more suited to the purpose , also it bond is much better with other materials such as carbon and kevlar . Its a lot easier to bond Vinylester and epoxy and get a solid joint where as polyester and epoxy have a very weak bonding to each other . So once you have layed up your first model out of the mould you can use all the standard glues like zap and 5min epoxy to build with knowing that the bond will hold together in flight.
SteveW
steve wenban is offline Find More Posts by steve wenban
Last edited by steve wenban; Mar 22, 2007 at 07:05 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 14, 2007, 07:11 PM
'Riders fan.
Vancouver, British Columbia
Joined Mar 2004
1,165 Posts
The photos are great, but a description of what steps of the process are occuring in each photo would help a great deal.

thanks
David
David Winter is offline Find More Posts by David Winter
Old Mar 15, 2007, 09:36 AM
Hawaii
Joined Dec 2006
52 Posts
What kind of mold making material is that I am not familiar with a product in bright green. I use the Dupont line of material and some poly 2 part stuff so any leads on different mold making material would be greatly appreciated.
Naja is offline Find More Posts by Naja
Old Mar 20, 2007, 07:55 AM
zeb
camden
Joined Aug 2006
6 Posts
hte green stuff s

the green stuff is gelcoat and the resin is vinylester instead of polyester as vinyl is resin with apoxy molicules i find it better to work with plus you have less warpage of the mould after time and has better bonding properties than polyeaster
zebluke is offline Find More Posts by zebluke
Old Mar 20, 2007, 04:34 PM
Crikey never leave beer behind
Mt Annan Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2003
23,424 Posts
Ive now updated to photo's and sorted into the correct postions with some wording to go with it .
SteveW
steve wenban is offline Find More Posts by steve wenban