HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 01, 2009, 09:46 AM
Joined Oct 2008
473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan D
You have a defective plane or launcher if you NEED 700W to get a good launch. I'm running a Mega 16/15/2 4.1x4.1 on 3S which is around 400W and the launches are no issue even having first time launchers throw it.
yes, I think is the launcher(me), the cg @ 45mm. Thanks
miche is offline Find More Posts by miche
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 01, 2009, 12:13 PM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,336 Posts
While we're on the subject of CG. Where are everyone setting they're CG's at? Could you please list yours?

BTW, I spoke with Ann at SUAS yesterday. My Escape is in shipment finally!!!
GregG is offline Find More Posts by GregG
Old Sep 01, 2009, 03:31 PM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
6,183 Posts
46mm
Evan D is offline Find More Posts by Evan D
Old Sep 05, 2009, 04:10 PM
Jeff Carr
Ft. Mill SC / Charlotte NC
Joined Mar 2001
2,710 Posts
After about 6 months I finally have #2 up and flying. I put the maiden on it this morning. I started with a 3s battery but it has a 4s ready to go into it. Its still plenty fast with 3s. I put a seperate receiver battery in it and that solved all the 2.4 problems I had. I did a few high speed passes and then. landed. I let it cool for a while then put it up again. A few lap turns ad it is really grooving now. It does have a tail waggle at some of the slower speeds. But when the power is all on it goes away.

Im a Happy camper

Jeff
Goinav8n is offline Find More Posts by Goinav8n
Old Sep 08, 2009, 10:01 PM
United States, AL
Joined Apr 2007
832 Posts
Well I feel silly, but a 3s a123 stick pack is too long to fit. I'll have to put a short piece of wire between two cells to make it flexible! Had to order a servo from tower, hopefully get it this week so I can fly it this weekend.
biskit is offline Find More Posts by biskit
Old Sep 11, 2009, 03:50 PM
iumop ap!sdn w,I
Joined May 2005
6,523 Posts
Successful maiden!

For those of you that remember I tried to maiden a few months back and had her roll over and nose in 50ft out. The nose was crushed, so I had to do some fibreglass work to get her going. It doesn't look pretty, but I'll have all winter to make her beautiful again. I also had to solder some new capacitors on the esc (due to them getting crushed during the maiden), which seems to have worked out well.

I launched at full throttle this time, and she did try to roll over again, but she picked up speed fast and I was able to save it both times. I added lead to the nose to get the CG spot on, so I know that's not the issue. I am on the heavy side at 29oz, but I think that it has more to do with my poor throwing. Hopefully I'll get a few more successfull launches and get that all straightened out. There was absolutely no wind, so a bit of a head wind may help too.

I had to add a fair amount of down trim like others have reported. Has anybody tried changing the incidence on the horizontal stab? Mine is bolted on, so it would be easy for me to do. It just flys so nice that I don't want to mess with it though. I just can't help think that having down trim is wasting some energy. That's not really an issue though since this thing is smokin' fast! It really "floats" too. I kind of expected it to drop without power at my weight, but she just keeps going forever. I almost thought that my motor wasn't shuting off completely on the maiden. I have flown a few hotliners, so for me to be impressed by the glide ratio was a real surprising!

Thanks Jiri!
G.P. is offline Find More Posts by G.P.
Last edited by G.P.; Sep 01, 2012 at 10:02 PM.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 04:13 PM
The Kid
Detroit, MI
Joined Dec 2007
2,587 Posts
I read a theory once on planes that were designed to fly level with some down trim. It was so that the plane, when put through a turn, would require less "up" elevator to make the turn, and thus by causing a little extra drag on the straights, they could cause less in the turns.

This makes sense to me, but i wonder how much difference it could really make. I never thought to adjust my incidence as like you said, im more then happy with the way that it flies!
Thekid3418 is offline Find More Posts by Thekid3418
Old Sep 11, 2009, 04:36 PM
iumop ap!sdn w,I
Joined May 2005
6,523 Posts
I never thought of that. It would make sense for racing. To be honest I was trying to slow it down most of the time anyways!
Old Sep 11, 2009, 05:06 PM
iumop ap!sdn w,I
Joined May 2005
6,523 Posts
My Escape is rolling left on launch. I thought this was opposite the prop torque, but just realized that it's not. Has anybody noticed torque induced roll on launch, even with the motor already spinning at full throttle before leaving your hand? I have almost 1000 watts in this thing, so I guess that may be the issue! I think that punching the throttle after launch would be worse though.

I may just point it straight up and let go next time!
Old Sep 11, 2009, 05:29 PM
Joined Apr 2006
1,877 Posts
Mine turns left too. I don't throw with full throttle, just past 1/2 and a strong striaght toss ( like throwing a foot ball).
LifeisGood is offline Find More Posts by LifeisGood
Old Sep 11, 2009, 05:54 PM
The Kid
Detroit, MI
Joined Dec 2007
2,587 Posts
Mine torques left a little, which I believe is the correct way for it to torque. Since the prop turns clockwise, the plane should want to go the other direction, which would be counter-clockwise, and thus left...i think, lol

I've tried gooseing it on launch and it makes the issue worse. My best success is with 1/2-2/3 throttle, nice firm toss, and then slowly ramp up the throttle as it accelerates away. Your weight is slightly higher (im at 26 oz), and your power is significantly higher (im at 600-650 watts), but it should work for you...

I would suggest do whatever you are doing, and whatever is comfortable with you. When you start messing with things too much thats when it goes wrong
Thekid3418 is offline Find More Posts by Thekid3418
Last edited by Thekid3418; Sep 11, 2009 at 06:00 PM.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 07:05 PM
iumop ap!sdn w,I
Joined May 2005
6,523 Posts
Thanks guys. When I say torque I don't mean just a little. My last launch she was full inverted before I got my throwing hand back to the stick. Luckily she picks up speed quick at full throttle and was very responsive by the time I was able to correct.

I guess I'll just be ready for it and try little tweaks one at a time. I really don't want to go with less throttle as I was launching at half throttle when she went in during the first maiden.

Thanks for the advice guys!
Greg
Old Sep 11, 2009, 08:28 PM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,336 Posts
I'm stoked! I was working today when my phone rang. Wouldn't you know that my hands were full and covered with paint. I frantically wiped them so as to answer the phone, which of course was in my back pocket at the time.

Wouldn't you know, it was Annette from SUSA. She just called to tell me that they'd be shipping my Escape today or Monday!!!!

Man that was a long eight weeks waiting. Hope that the shipper doesn't damage anything.

I think that I've got everything to finish it except for the spinner. Shouldn't be long now before I'll have to start throwing in practice to launch it. At least I've gotten in a few flights with other planes in the past month so that my flying inactivity didn't make me lose much.
GregG is offline Find More Posts by GregG
Old Sep 11, 2009, 08:33 PM
215.0 MPH
United States, VT, Essex
Joined Jul 2007
1,194 Posts
Same here, %100.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeisGood
Mine turns left too. I don't throw with full throttle, just past 1/2 and a strong striaght toss ( like throwing a foot ball).
markusvt is offline Find More Posts by markusvt
Old Sep 11, 2009, 11:17 PM
United States, AL
Joined Apr 2007
832 Posts
Ready for first flight tomorrow. The battery has to go all the way forward to the motor with the esc behind the battery to get it to balance. Don't be afraid to get a heavier motor that can take more power, it'll balance easier. I would be adding ballast if the battery was any lighter!

Medusa 28-32-4200, 3s 2600 ProLitev2, hs65, around 500w on an APC 4.1x4.1. Total weight is 645g (almost 23 ounces). I was expecting 22 ounces, but I have an enormous 72MHz receiver.
biskit is offline Find More Posts by biskit