SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 17, 2009, 07:24 PM
The Kid
Detroit, MI
Joined Dec 2007
2,587 Posts
I don't understand. What do you mean you are at the limit? At the limit of what? And doesn't it depend on what battery you are using?
Thekid3418 is offline Find More Posts by Thekid3418
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2009, 10:59 AM
Down South in the Caribbean.
Willemstad, Curacao
Joined May 2005
236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekid3418
I don't understand. What do you mean you are at the limit? At the limit of what? And doesn't it depend on what battery you are using?
Sorry Kid,
I meant limit as in size dimensions of the battery..
Hanapi is offline Find More Posts by Hanapi
Old Jan 19, 2009, 12:19 AM
iumop ap!sdn w,I
Joined May 2005
6,537 Posts
Is there a preffered esc for these types aircraft that has a bec capable of handling 4s?

I'm using Airboss ESC's in some of my 4s 3D planes with great success, but haven't used one on a high rpm brushless inrunner before. They are also a little on the large side. I've successfully used a CC60 on 4s, but it was located in the thrust tube on a ducted fan model. I don't want to risk doing that on this one with the minimal air flow over the equipment.

Sorry about the questions, this type of airframe is new to me.

Thanks!
Greg
G.P. is offline Find More Posts by G.P.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 01:32 AM
The Kid
Detroit, MI
Joined Dec 2007
2,587 Posts
I've used the Turnigy plush 60 with no problems, i ran it on 3s at 59 amps (I know, how convienent), and just two servos and it came down cool to the touch (it was a cold day). I wouldn't think you could go wrong with that ESC. Also, CC is coming out with its "ICE" line of ESCs, which will have switching ESCs, those could be great, though whos to say yet...

Theres also Pentium which i've heard good things about, and various others that i haven't heard much about. I think what most people do is use a CC BEC or a Rx pack, and just disable the castle BEC on all the real high power stuff. Are you against using an Rx pack?
Old Jan 19, 2009, 01:42 AM
iumop ap!sdn w,I
Joined May 2005
6,537 Posts
Thanks for the info....I hadn't heard about the ICE controllers yet. I don't want to use a seperate Rx pack, and althought I've had great luck with external BEC's I would prefer an esc with a built in 4s BEC for a cleaner install. It looks like space will be an issue, so the cleaner I can make it the better.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 08:53 AM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
6,185 Posts
I used to believe in using only CC Phoenix ESC's with a BEC if using more than 3S. That said I now hava bunch of 60A Turnigy Plush ESC's. They perform great and have a switching BEC so you can use them with higher cell counts. The Plush 40 had a linear BEC but I believe the newest ones now have a switching. The Plush, like the Phoenix, ESC's can be pushed quite a bit more than their rated current. I've pushed CC60's over 100 and Plush 60's over 80.

Is there a perfect ESC for this plane, no. But the Phoenix 45 for a 3S light set up or the Phoenix 60 and a CC BEC in 4S+ is about as good as you can get.

If you have the extra room and money is a concern get the Turnigy Plush ESC's.
Evan D is offline Find More Posts by Evan D
Old Jan 19, 2009, 12:08 PM
iumop ap!sdn w,I
Joined May 2005
6,537 Posts
I have never considered a Turnigy because of the price point. I just assumed that quality may be a factor and I don't want to put my planes/friends at risk to save a few bucks. It's great to hear that you've had good luck with them. I'm really amazed at some of the stuff that is coming out now at great prices.

I also just got a reply from Rob at ADCHobbyStore.com. The Airboss 60 is 1.5 inches wide and has a switching bec. I haven't heard of anyone using one with an inrunner, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. It also has a heat sink on it which may come in handy in this application.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 12:48 PM
The Kid
Detroit, MI
Joined Dec 2007
2,587 Posts
the turnigy is pretty popular in all facets of the hobby, i would say you can't go wrong with them. Infact i've suspected some brands sold on our shores of being rebadged Turnigy ESCs, but im not sure about this...

I really would like to give the turnigy plush 80 a go. But the specs on HC are pretty disappointing. It seems to be very wide, whereas the 60 compares well to the CC60. Im sure i'll be pushing the turnigy pretty hard in the Escape at 60 amps on the button and 3 HS-65s that im sure my A.D.D. fingers will have working over time

On another note of cheap ESCs. I've had great experience with the opto line of suppo/supersimple ESCs. The smaller ones (10-40 amps) don't seem to live up to their ratings. But i've had a 50a, 2x60a, 2x100a, and all worked great. They come with big bulky heat sinks, but you can cut them open and take those off and it makes them about 1/2 as thin. If you are willing to run a BEC or Rx pack, they might be a good option. If i ever decide to push my 1112-2D with a 4.75x4.75, i'll probably take my trusty old SS100a ESC and unwrap it and give that a try...
Old Jan 20, 2009, 01:29 AM
Flying motor mount master
San Jose, California, United States
Joined Oct 2004
8,745 Posts
The measurements I get are: 35mm deep x 160mm long(depends) x 42 wide.

I have an example of what might fit...

Yep that's a 4S pack...

B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekid3418
Theres only two people that i know of with the plane so far (Hanapi, and flyboy), neither have said how big of a battery will fit. Looking at the pics that can be found around page 7 i believe it is, it looks like anything thats about 42x35x240 will fit physically. Just don't know if it will balance correctly. THat seems like it would be enough space for the 4s2p pack. But it would be a heavy model...
fly_boy99 is offline Find More Posts by fly_boy99
Old Jan 20, 2009, 02:56 AM
The Kid
Detroit, MI
Joined Dec 2007
2,587 Posts
Gosh, its cavernous (spelling?)!!! Should be able to house some big time power. Looks like im going to have to find an ESC upgrade. Bout time to look for a P80...

I didn't recieve a tracking number from susa like i did with my sunracer. Did anyone else experience this?
Old Jan 20, 2009, 04:00 PM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
6,185 Posts
So, anyone get theirs yet? Mine got to Charlotte, scheduled for delivery tomorrow, i'll be in Houston for a couple days so I'll get mine Friday.
Evan D is offline Find More Posts by Evan D
Old Jan 20, 2009, 04:06 PM
The Kid
Detroit, MI
Joined Dec 2007
2,587 Posts
I just got my shipping info. Should be here in a couple days they say. Im sure the girlfriend will be disappointed when i introduce her to the new lady in my life
Old Jan 21, 2009, 01:20 PM
Joined Apr 2006
1,877 Posts
I got mine yesterday. Excellent quality and attention to detail. In addition, I also got two Neu1110-1Y for the plane from Soaring USA with 10% DISCOUNT. Fuse has enough room to house either one TP4SXV-2200 or 2 of TP2SXV-2200 with CC80 controller plus Medosa 2amp 6V BEC. Neu1110-1Y is identical to 1107/2Y size wise but with capablity to run over 200+. I found out this plane probably is one of the rare wider fuse to house my setup with extra room for breathing. It has the beauty of Sunracer but appears stronger.

I am so happy about the overall quality of the Escape, this morning, I called Soaring USA and purchased the remaining 2 from Bob in addition to the 2 that I received yesterday.
LifeisGood is online now Find More Posts by LifeisGood
Old Jan 21, 2009, 01:30 PM
Down South in the Caribbean.
Willemstad, Curacao
Joined May 2005
236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeisGood
I got mine yesterday. Excellent quality and attention to detail. In addition, I also got two Neu1110-1Y for the plane from Soaring USA with 10% DISCOUNT. Fuse has enough room to house either one TP4SXV-2200 or 2 of TP2SXV-2200 with CC80 controller plus Medosa 2amp 6V BEC. Neu1110-1Y is identical to 1107/2Y size wise but with capablity to run over 200+. I found out this plane probably is one of the rare wider fuse to house my setup with extra room for breathing. It has the beauty of Sunracer but appears stronger.

I am so happy about the overall quality of the Escape, this morning, I called Soaring USA and purchased the remaining 2 from Bob in addition to the 2 that I received yesterday.
Good news..what prop are you thiniing of running with the NEU1110-1y??
Hanapi is offline Find More Posts by Hanapi
Old Jan 21, 2009, 02:16 PM
Joined Apr 2006
1,877 Posts
No idea yet. I prob start with 4X4 to check the current draw first. But 1st, I would like to place the tail servo near the wing tr-edge inside the fuse with a thin SS rod to avoid open the servo hole and I would also like to make the T top removable for transportation reason. Another thing is to cut smaller round vent holes to ensure the strength of the fuse is not compromised.

Overall, thanks to Jiri for making such a beauty for a very reasonable price and a good distribution done by Soring USA.
LifeisGood is online now Find More Posts by LifeisGood