Old Jan 02, 2011, 01:34 AM
Sure it'll work
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Nov 2005
4,271 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan the man View Post
Hey Guys,

I've had my eye on the Escape for a while. I'm currently flying a Top Model Stinger, 3S Lipo, Mega 16/15/4 and 5.2 x 4.8 prop. I love flying this plane to death but I am looking for the next step up in speed.

Do you reckon the Escape could be a good candidate?

All the Best

Danny
Danny,

Keep in mind that the moulds got destroyed, and you won't be able to get replacement parts.

My buddy has one and launching it is always a white knuckle event. I'm not sure this is other's experience or not.

IMHO, there are other good or better choices in that price range http://www.soaringusa.com/products/s...ategory_id=265

Bill
Flyextreme is offline Find More Posts by Flyextreme
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2011, 05:01 AM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,769 Posts
I agree, the Escape is harder to launch the the other pylons Ive tried, and its a dying model (dont produce anymore).

Better to go with a sunracer.
sebbe is online now Find More Posts by sebbe
Old Jan 02, 2011, 02:08 PM
Sure it'll work
Joined Nov 2005
4,271 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebbe View Post
I agree, the Escape is harder to launch the the other pylons Ive tried, and its a dying model (dont produce anymore).

Better to go with a sunracer.
The SunracerIII is a good choice....40" WS and very slippery...alot of pylons are more like 30". I ended up with the Blast....53" WS...easy launch, and easier to see. Alot more $$$ though.
Old Jan 03, 2011, 12:53 AM
Sydney Kingsford, Australia
Joined Feb 2004
188 Posts
Hey Guys,

Many thanks for the heads up. The great thing about the Stinger is how user friendly it is so it was good to know the hand launch was a bit dodgy on the escape. I also wasn't aware the Escape had ceased production.

I hear good things about the Sunracer so I'll check it out.

Many thanks.

Danny
Dan the man is offline Find More Posts by Dan the man
Old Jan 03, 2011, 01:17 AM
Sure it'll work
Joined Nov 2005
4,271 Posts
The Stinger has a thicker airfoil that alot of glass planes (more watts to push it through the air fast) but reports have it being fairly well manored. That is if you are talking about this one http://www.espritmodel.com/index.asp...D&ProdID=13681 and balsa built up wing.

Here's one the just came out, or will soon that is almost exactly like the Escape http://www.espritmodel.com/index.asp...D&ProdID=13901 a bit pricey though. For that kind of money there may be better choices like this http://www.soaringusa.com/products/p...ategory_id=265

Just take your time and do your homework before you buy. The Stinger just might be a good intro plane.

Good Luck, Bill
Old Jan 03, 2011, 07:12 AM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
5,636 Posts
The Stilleto looks exactly like the Escape. Even the wing hold down screw is the same... The only difference I see is the air scoop on the nose. And the price. Looks like a good replacement...
Evan D is offline Find More Posts by Evan D
Old Jan 03, 2011, 07:57 AM
iumop ap!sdn w,I
Joined May 2005
6,437 Posts
It sure does look good. Actually that green Sunracer V3 looks pretty smokin' too!
G.P. is offline Find More Posts by G.P.
Old Jan 04, 2011, 12:51 AM
United States, LA, Baton Rouge
Joined Jan 2005
566 Posts
stiletto looks harder to build than then v3 sun racer, I'm liking the alerion wing bays but not much else...
Alkaline is offline Find More Posts by Alkaline
Old Jan 04, 2011, 03:30 AM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,236 Posts
If you want easy to build buy a parkzone warbird

Stilleto looks pretty shweet, I wonder what the qaulity is like. Not a big fan of some of topmodel's stuff.
jackosmeister is online now Find More Posts by jackosmeister
Old Jan 04, 2011, 07:14 AM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
5,636 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkaline View Post
stiletto looks harder to build than then v3 sun racer, I'm liking the alerion wing bays but not much else...
What's hard? glue two servos in the wing bays and the control horns, make pushrods. The fuse is easy too, glue the servo in the hole in the tail, glue on the stab, bolt on a motor, and plop in your electronics... No harder than anything else.
Evan D is offline Find More Posts by Evan D
Old Jan 04, 2011, 08:59 AM
iumop ap!sdn w,I
Joined May 2005
6,437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan D View Post
What's hard? glue two servos in the wing bays and the control horns, make pushrods. The fuse is easy too, glue the servo in the hole in the tail, glue on the stab, bolt on a motor, and plop in your electronics... No harder than anything else.
+1

Old Jan 04, 2011, 12:27 PM
Sure it'll work
Joined Nov 2005
4,271 Posts
Having not had the Sunracer or the Steletto...since the price is pretty much the same...I would have to go with the SR3 because it's tried and true. The Steletto (as far as I know) is still unproven.
Old Jan 04, 2011, 12:36 PM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,769 Posts
The Sunracer have 2 big negatives:

Very small battery place, and aileron servos in the fuselage=less space in fuse and bad to flutter in highspeed.

I woold take the Stilleto . loks sharper too
sebbe is online now Find More Posts by sebbe
Old Jan 04, 2011, 12:42 PM
iumop ap!sdn w,I
Joined May 2005
6,437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebbe View Post
The Sunracer have 2 big negatives:

Very small battery place, and aileron servos in the fuselage=less space in fuse and bad to flutter in highspeed.

I woold take the Stilleto . loks sharper too
Plus having "Stilleto" on the Mastercard bill might just just make it past the Minister of War and Finance (wife)!!!
Old Jan 04, 2011, 12:48 PM
Sure it'll work
Joined Nov 2005
4,271 Posts
These two planes are not the only contenders either. There are many more choices out there.

Here's a few http://www.soaringusa.com/products/s...ategory_id=265

The space in the SR has been an issue. I'm not sure how well the shorter ailerons on the SR3 have addressed the flutter issue.