HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 24, 2010, 01:39 PM
United States, AL
Joined Apr 2007
832 Posts
7 days to get the props from japan, amazing for $2.50 shipping! Got an mpjet spinner too, seems to be better than the hobbycity jobbies.
biskit is offline Find More Posts by biskit
Last edited by biskit; Aug 18, 2010 at 10:22 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 24, 2010, 05:41 PM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,817 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekid3418 View Post
I got some speed results from my mosts recent video, thanks for my buddy Mopar.

The high speed was ~184mph, which was the second pass in the video. The average speed after that was more like 175mph. I'm pretty happy with those speeds, and it sure as heck felt that fast! I think that with better sky conditions and a little bit bigger run up 190mph isn't impossible with this setup, but time will tell.

I can't wait to take the Escape past 200mph! Now I just have to figure out how!

Kid
Nice speed, what servos are you using ?
sebbe is offline Find More Posts by sebbe
Old Jul 24, 2010, 05:44 PM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,401 Posts
biskit - Aircraftworld are very good

It usually takes 3 days to NZ, which is faster than some local places!
jackosmeister is online now Find More Posts by jackosmeister
Old Aug 05, 2010, 07:31 PM
Heavy thinker..I mean tinkerer
Canada, ON, Aylmer
Joined Apr 2009
746 Posts
Just a stab in the dark but does anybody have a stabilizer for this plane, I had a mishap with mine and everything is fine except for the stab dangit! Because I don't think this plane is still available or is it?
Thanks
TheBlood+ is offline Find More Posts by TheBlood+
Old Aug 09, 2010, 09:57 PM
United States, AL
Joined Apr 2007
832 Posts
Got a couple flights in with a graupner 12x12. Static power is similar to an apc 5x5, RPM is audibly higher, and speed about the same. But launching is much improved! With a moderate wind a gentle toss and it's off level and my shorts are clean. Only problem is now I'm saddled with a mediocre landing area as the golf course is green and in use all daylight hours!

Perhaps the graupner prop makes more thrust and less torque at low airspeeds? Whatever it is I like them. They balance much better too. Too bad they're $5 a pop, but three landings on grass and I haven't broken one yet!
Old Aug 09, 2010, 11:37 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by biskit View Post
Got a couple flights in with a graupner 12x12. Static power is similar to an apc 5x5, RPM is audibly higher, and speed about the same. But launching is much improved! With a moderate wind a gentle toss and it's off level and my shorts are clean. Only problem is now I'm saddled with a mediocre landing area as the golf course is green and in use all daylight hours!

Perhaps the graupner prop makes more thrust and less torque at low airspeeds? Whatever it is I like them. They balance much better too. Too bad they're $5 a pop, but three landings on grass and I haven't broken one yet!
12x12? Is that a typo?
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Aug 09, 2010, 11:45 PM
The Kid
Detroit, MI
Joined Dec 2007
2,587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
12x12? Is that a typo?
Dimensions in centimeters. Its more commonly referred to as a 5.2x5.2.

I think too much attention is paid to torque effects. The difference between props is not that large, in my experience. My Sunracer launches just as easy with a 6.5x10 as it did with a 4.1x4.1 on equal power.

Kid
Thekid3418 is offline Find More Posts by Thekid3418
Old Aug 10, 2010, 12:17 PM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,856 Posts
Quote:
6.5x10
Where did you get this prop? or was it a carved up 7x10?
jfinch is offline Find More Posts by jfinch
Old Aug 10, 2010, 04:49 PM
The Kid
Detroit, MI
Joined Dec 2007
2,587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfinch View Post
Where did you get this prop? or was it a carved up 7x10?

Yes, it was a 7x10 cut down. On my cheap HC motor it turns ~13k rpm and goes about 135mph, maybe a little more (i'm sure there is some unloading in the air).

Its much like a 4-stroke to my Escapes 2-stroke. The SR is very quiet in the air, its very unigue. Unfortunately the motor is terribly inefficient. I'm thinking a Mega 16/35/2 or the like is in order

Kid
Old Aug 10, 2010, 05:15 PM
United States, CA, Rancho Cucamonga
Joined Mar 2003
762 Posts
is this still available??
PylonDave is offline Find More Posts by PylonDave
Old Aug 15, 2010, 09:59 PM
Syracuse, Ut
Joined Apr 2008
7 Posts
Biskit

Is that fuse still available? I sent you a PM.

Lloyd
LloydK is offline Find More Posts by LloydK
Old Aug 16, 2010, 12:49 PM
3D wing innovator
Dallas, Texas
Joined Dec 2009
2,212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by biskit View Post
Got two flights in on mine today in very stiff wind. The first with an apc 5x5 almost lost it on the launch. The 5x5 broke on landing and I only had a graupner 4.7x4.7 with me so I tried it. It spun smooth as glass! I noticed that the apc props often have each blade spin in a slightly different plane which makes balance nearly impossible. The graupner blades are so flexy it helps them run smoother I believe.

Anyway, with the graupner prop rpm was significantly higher(30k for a 5x5, upper 30k range for the graupner). I threw it much easier this time and it was a non-event. I think the lack of low speed thrust on the apc is part of my problem? Anyway, with the graupner speed wasn't noticably different and it's lower current draw too.

So any opinions on apc vs graupner? Never flew a graupner prop before today, they seem to be great. Thankfully it didn't break on landing. Where's the best place to buy them?
It is important to note that "drilled" hole for the apc is listed in the instructions as "not a precison" hole and that one should use an adaptor that relies on the "molded" hole for centering. If the stock adaptors dont work, you may ream to suit. Balancing off the "drilled" hole will not yield consistant results.
MikeRx is offline Find More Posts by MikeRx
Old Aug 21, 2010, 06:18 PM
The Kid
Detroit, MI
Joined Dec 2007
2,587 Posts
I tested a new propellor today on my Escape, but unfortunately it was raining, so a flight could not be completed. It is an APC 5.25x6.25, which in tests past has proven to be not very efficient, but i'm hoping it will offer a nice speed boost of a standard 5x5.

This prop nets

106A
1150W
29.8k RPM static

I hope that it will unload slightly in flight, resulting in pitch speeds around 185mph and flight speeds around there. Hopefully the test will be done tomorrow

Kid
Old Sep 25, 2010, 01:26 PM
United States, AL
Joined Apr 2007
832 Posts
Nice and windy today so I got in a couple flights. Since switching to the 12x12 graupner I am launching without worry now, dead level every time. I think the 5x5 apc is just bad at low speed and makes too much torqueand not enough thrust for me. I want to try the 13x13 but it pulls too much current for my esc and battery.

Thinking about a slicker plane, even at 500w my escape is starting to seem slow. It's my first composite plane, from reading on here I get the impression it is draggier than other comparable planes? Any suggestions for something that's a step up in performance?
Old Sep 26, 2010, 06:29 PM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,817 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekid3418 View Post
I tested a new propellor today on my Escape, but unfortunately it was raining, so a flight could not be completed. It is an APC 5.25x6.25, which in tests past has proven to be not very efficient, but i'm hoping it will offer a nice speed boost of a standard 5x5.

This prop nets

106A
1150W
29.8k RPM static

I hope that it will unload slightly in flight, resulting in pitch speeds around 185mph and flight speeds around there. Hopefully the test will be done tomorrow

Kid
Nice , hope to see a Video on that one..
sebbe is offline Find More Posts by sebbe