HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 06, 2007, 10:05 PM
United States, IL, Rockford
Joined Dec 2004
55 Posts
Help!
Shredded fiberglass and epoxy

I've been reading in some of the threads about mixing shredded fiberglass with epoxy and using it to install the motor mounts. Is this shredded fiberglass commercially available, or does everyone just make up their own by cutting up a piece of fiberglass? If it is a do-it-yourself project, what weight glass works good and how fine do you cut it up?
Phcret is offline Find More Posts by Phcret
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 06, 2007, 10:31 PM
Joined Dec 2004
55 Posts
I think I found my own answer. Found milled fiberglass by Great Planes. Also found www.fiberglasssuppy.com which sells it in bulk for a lot cheaper.
Old Mar 07, 2007, 05:59 PM
The Lone Blue Plaid Flyer
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,585 Posts
Hi Phrect,

Bob in Seattle here. I just bought some from Great Planes, and used it on my Sky Sergio build. I have some advise for you. Use a longer set epoxy, like 30 min. It tends to shorten the set time when you mix it in. Mix the epoxy first, then add it in a little at a time. When you cut the plastic nozzle on the bottle be very carefull to cut it small. This stuff pours out quickly, and spills all over the place. Keep adding and sturing until you get the thickness you want. I like sort of a paste consistancy. It works verry well. But, if you spill the fiber glass on your clothes or your hands, it's gonna itch !!! Good luck.

Bob in Seattle
Bob Cook is offline Find More Posts by Bob Cook
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 07, 2007, 09:30 PM
Joined Dec 2004
55 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Cook
Hi Phrect,

Bob in Seattle here. I just bought some from Great Planes, and used it on my Sky Sergio build. I have some advise for you. Use a longer set epoxy, like 30 min. It tends to shorten the set time when you mix it in. Mix the epoxy first, then add it in a little at a time. When you cut the plastic nozzle on the bottle be very carefull to cut it small. This stuff pours out quickly, and spills all over the place. Keep adding and sturing until you get the thickness you want. I like sort of a paste consistancy. It works verry well. But, if you spill the fiber glass on your clothes or your hands, it's gonna itch !!! Good luck.

Bob in Seattle
Thanks for the advice Bob.
Old Mar 08, 2007, 06:57 AM
Hervey Bay, Sunny Qld, Australia
Joined Jun 2001
1,760 Posts
My advice (though I don't think you'll need it now ), is don't try making milled glass yourself. I have tried and it's very messy and ITCHY. It's splinters EVERYWHERE

I have never used milled glass in my mounts but instead Q-Cells and epoxy. Works very well too
Masterpiece is offline Find More Posts by Masterpiece
Old Mar 08, 2007, 02:28 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Coral Springs FL
Joined May 2002
680 Posts
Fiberglass in my food processor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phcret
I've been reading in some of the threads about mixing shredded fiberglass with epoxy and using it to install the motor mounts. Is this shredded fiberglass commercially available, or does everyone just make up their own by cutting up a piece of fiberglass? If it is a do-it-yourself project, what weight glass works good and how fine do you cut it up?

I made a whole ziploc bag full that I use regularly. Just feed small cut up pieces of 3oz glass into an old food processer... The results was like fluffy raw cotton. I used gloves and just stuck it into the ziploc bag and rinsed the food processor parts outside. Now when ever I need it I open the bag and pinch out small pieces of the stuff. Sort of like pulling a cotton ball apart. No filiment is longer then 1/2" inch and most are shorter then 1/4".

Mixed with laminating epoxy it makes a good strong fill material that can easily be "pressed" into areas I want to strengthen yet are hard to reach (Nose of TD glider around removable skeg housing) etc.

Radian
www.phflyers.com
Radian is offline Find More Posts by Radian