Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 07, 2002, 09:29 AM
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Jun 2001
437 Posts
Projeti wouldn't fly... how to repair missing foam

Unfortunately, my test flight with my newly finished Projeti reulted in a broken nose, broken motor mount and chewed up part of the trailing edge of the wing. I have had a Zagi for over 2 years and never had a hand launch as ugly as the Projeti - it simply went straight down, ten feet in front of me. I did have the elevons in their launching position - maybe it should have been more?? I am now looking for solutions to my missing foam on the trailing edge...any advice on how to repair this would be GREATLY appreciated! Also any input on how to correct my launch are welcome.

Thanks in advance,

- Eric
ericdod is offline Find More Posts by ericdod
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2002, 11:54 AM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,369 Posts
Repairs I have made to foam.

Since I have no idea how bad your foam is torn up i will give you repairs for simple and major damage that I have used with success. On a jagged trailing edge I have pushed what foam was sticking out down into place and covered the area with a piece of scotch tape pressed on firmly. The gaps were still there but I had a smooth flying surface due to tape on top and bottom of wing. In a larger damage area I found a piece of foam and cut it to the general shape of the area and cut out the entire damaged area and trial fitted and sanded until my replacement block fitted the area and I used white Elmers flue to secure it in place.
I have had no trouble launching my Projeti. I always make sure the plane balances properly using the balance points they give you with the plane upside down. I always use the launch position on the elevons. I always launch with a good firm toss forward and the motor going full speed and I have not had a problem.
My Zagi I launch with motor off and start the motor when it is clear of me completely but with the Projeti and the fingers holes I have no problem with the motor going full speed when I toss. Hope this helps. and good luck. Mike
Michael Heer is offline Find More Posts by Michael Heer
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 07, 2002, 03:21 PM
Time To Fly?
Gig Harbor, WA
Joined May 2002
690 Posts
I had a crash with damage similar to yours. I took some EPS foam and cut out an exact fit and epoxied everything back together. Use as less epoxy as possible. Mine went bact together and has been flying fine for two months now.

Dale

BTW this is my 2nd Projeti, dont want to talk about what happened to the first one on the first flight. There is not enought epoxy in the world to fix that carnage.
gobigdale is offline Find More Posts by gobigdale
Old Oct 07, 2002, 03:23 PM
Time To Fly?
Gig Harbor, WA
Joined May 2002
690 Posts
here it is.
Old Oct 07, 2002, 03:27 PM
Joined Jun 2001
437 Posts
Awesome! I appreciate the responses - I am going to make my repairs this evening and will post my flight report after I get the chance for round 2.
Old Oct 07, 2002, 04:08 PM
Elk Grove,Ca.
Joined Mar 2002
236 Posts
If you use Pro Bond, it expands as it cures, filling gaps. And is lighter than epoxy.
701 Super Jet is offline Find More Posts by 701 Super Jet
Old Oct 07, 2002, 06:43 PM
Fish & Fly
Tyler, TX USA
Joined Jul 2000
1,406 Posts
I'll second the recommendation about ProBond. Add a small drop of water to a dallop about the size of a quarter, then mix it up well with a toothpick. This makes it expand much more (like 3X) and cure faster too.

I've had no problems at all with launching the ProJeti. I check balance very carefully (upside-down) and have to put my 8x800AR pack pretty far back to keep it from being nose-heavy.

With a 3-turn Mega, it hauls on 7 or 8 cells.
DaJudge is offline Find More Posts by DaJudge
Old Oct 08, 2002, 08:33 AM
Joined Jun 2001
437 Posts
Are you guys using the stock setup? (speed 400)

My thoughts are to have the elevons slightly higher than the starting wedge and give it a walking, heavy toss into the wind.

My first attempt seemed that it needed a really hefty toss to get it up on step - is this the case? Should I not raise the elevons slightly to avoid a stall?
Old Oct 08, 2002, 08:56 AM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,369 Posts
I am using the stock set up with a standard speed 400 and the prop that came with the plane. I give it a vigorous throw forward (level not up) with the prop going full speed. I have the elevons in the raised position they indicate and that is only for about 1 second and then I hit a switch to get them to the neutral position. Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 08, 2002, 01:23 PM
Time To Fly?
Gig Harbor, WA
Joined May 2002
690 Posts
I got the 480L in mine with 10 cell Nicad. It is a little bit heavier than stock so I really throw it as hard as I can into the wind. If you are still haing trouble tosing it look fro the thread that has to do with the PVC Pedal Launcher. That will get it going.
Old Oct 08, 2002, 02:16 PM
Joined Jun 2001
437 Posts
Unfortunately, I am using a simply Hitec Focus 3 channel radio w/ mixing - I do not have programming capability. How soon after launching should I trim the elevons to neutral? Should I let it get up on step for a few seconds before trimming?
Old Oct 08, 2002, 02:18 PM
Joined Jun 2001
437 Posts
BTW: Repair work was completed last night - winds 40+ - gotta wait (darn!)

...actually pretty impressed with my repairs - should be good as new.

...will post a flight report hopefully tomorrow
Old Oct 08, 2002, 04:40 PM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,369 Posts
You got it Eric, just let it get up on step. Mine starts to climb almost immediately. I have a JR computerized transmitter and just flick a switch between the two but set up correctly it could be done with the trim tab adjustment but I wouldn't want to do that. If I was working it that way I would let it climb a bit before adjusting a trim tab to get it to neutral. In fact I would launch at or near neutral and throw for all I am worth..but I fly slope and am use to throwing some planes very hard yet still controlled.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 08, 2002, 05:28 PM
Bay Area, CA
Joined May 2002
63 Posts
Launching Technique...

You're not alone, Eric. Sounds like we did the exact same thing...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...threadid=58605

I finally got the nerve back up to fly my repaired Projeti just last week, and I've now had six *fun* flights using Mike Heer's launching advice in the thread above (thanks again, Mike!); and I'm even slightly underpowered using 1100NiMHs. This plane flies well...even stock.

Full throttle...firm level toss...keep wings level...and let her climb out on her own. I, too, have the reflex switched on my radio, so I go to neutral when I'm at least two mistakes high.

Good luck!
02ViperTwin is offline Find More Posts by 02ViperTwin
Last edited by 02ViperTwin; Oct 08, 2002 at 05:31 PM.
Old Oct 08, 2002, 07:08 PM
Kamloops
Joined Dec 2001
6,844 Posts
you need a good LEVEL Javlin type throw to get the projeti going. Once there she flies great. One suggestion with the 3 Channel radio was to adjust the elevons so they were in Launch position when your trim Tab was all the way DOWN and the once on step just slide the trim tab all the way UP . I myself was using the Launcher so there was no need to do the Launch trim at all.

Kush
kushal_22 is offline Find More Posts by kushal_22