HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 05, 2007, 08:24 PM
SoarScale
United States, WI, Wind Lake
Joined Nov 2004
814 Posts
Discussion
Looking for sailplane clubs in VA or NC

Folks, can anyone point me to a slope or sailplaine aerotow club in either of these states - Virginia or North Carolina?
Thanks
SoarScale2 is offline Find More Posts by SoarScale2
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2007, 10:26 PM
Segelflugzeug esgeht nach oben
Virginia - Birthplace of Presidents
Joined Jan 2003
306 Posts
Years ago I was in a great sailplane club: CASA - that is..before I left the metro DC area.

I understand that they have been doing aerotow at a private field in Virginia.
What started out as a spring or fall thing has been happening a bit more often, from what I have heard.

Contact either Skip Schow or Tony Quesada...they will "hook you up" so to speak.....(pun intended).
http://www.soarcasa.org/
http://www.soarcasa.org/Events/Spring_Aerotow_2006.pdf

If you make it to an event...say hello to Frank Stickle and tell 'em Jim says hi
AllThumbs is offline Find More Posts by AllThumbs
Old Mar 06, 2007, 01:27 PM
Vienna, Virginia, United States
Joined Sep 2001
419 Posts
We (CASA) also have a leased slope (works for W to NNW winds).

Other clubs further South include Tidewater Model Soaring Society (Norfolk, VA area) and DownEast Soring Society in Wilson, NC. Not informed about how much aerotow or sloping they do, but very fine folks! Good Lift!
raschow is offline Find More Posts by raschow
Old Mar 07, 2007, 08:43 PM
Chesapeake, VA
Joined Apr 2002
96 Posts
Also used to be a group near Fayetteville/Ft Bragg that did an annual aerotow. Not sure at the present if this is still an event or not as work has kept me on the go rather than in the know. TMSS hasn't been doing aerotow locally.

Regards,
Gene
AcintSpec is offline Find More Posts by AcintSpec
Old Mar 08, 2007, 12:29 AM
wishes this caption was longe
wilson, nc, usa
Joined Dec 2005
2,214 Posts
Yep, come see us at the Down East Soaring Society- DESS!

We are in Wilson, NC and fly most Sundays. Find out what we're up to by joining our Yahoo! group.

We fly TD, slope, XC, e-sailplanes, and DLG's. Heck, even kites! We also host the East Coast Handlaunch Glider Festival!

Nitros will be shot! But not till after the glider is released!

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nc-rc-soaring

Will
will_newton is offline Find More Posts by will_newton
Last edited by will_newton; Mar 08, 2007 at 12:41 AM.
Old Mar 08, 2007, 06:50 PM
SoarScale
United States, WI, Wind Lake
Joined Nov 2004
814 Posts
Soaring sites in VA/NC

I am in the process of preping the family for a move from the west coast to the east coast and our final destination has not yet been finalized other than most likely Virginia or North Carolina.

My passion is large scale sailplanes that are either self-launching through SLS systems or have to be towed to altitude. For the SLS sailplanes, any large field would work as these are 6 to 9 meter ships with electric SLS's. For the non-self lauching types, again, a fairly large field for my 7 to 10 meter ships but the key is gaining the support from whatever field/club that would support these sailplanes to also support a gas powered, 3W-120 engined tow plane - designed and used specifically for towing only.

My largest issue to date in my current location is a lack of support for aerotowing due to a general lack of understading that sailplnes fly high and sometimes, great distances. This has tended to "scare off" most of the support one would need from a power club. The frequency therefore at which I fly is considerbly reduced due to this situation.

I am really looking for a site that would support all forms of launch techniques for large scale birds which includes SLS, aerotow and possibly, winch. The first and latter don't tend to be an issue but aerotowing always seems to.

Do you gys know of a location that regularly sponsors and operates aerotowing using gas-powered tow planes for the sole purpose of aerotowing? Does such a location exist in VA or NC or do I have to go much further afield to find such locations.

Best regards.
SoarScale2 is offline Find More Posts by SoarScale2
Old Mar 09, 2007, 01:34 AM
wishes this caption was longe
wilson, nc, usa
Joined Dec 2005
2,214 Posts
If you show up with aerotow gear, then DESS will fly aerotow! Heck, the past couple of weekends our field has been a gliderport for autonomous cross-country R/C sailplane project. We support any form of gliding flight. We're a small group of dedicated glider nuts that fly for pleasure and friendly competition

Our field is about 200 feet by 600 ft and it surrounded by flat farmland except for a small treeline on the smallest side of the field.

You can fly to your sight limit in every direction because it is a few minutes outside of town in the middle of a lot fields right next to a highway exit.

We are 45 minutes from Raleigh (where several of our members are from). I think DESS is one of the only sailplane specific clubs and field in NC.

And the previous poster was correct there is some aerotow going on in the Fayetteville area, but we've never found out much about it. We thought it was an aerotow event that was held there, but it may be part of a larger power club.

Also a club near Charlotte has a few glider weekends. Also, near Boone, NC folks slope a place called "The Lump"
will_newton is offline Find More Posts by will_newton
Old Mar 10, 2007, 08:48 AM
Chesapeake, VA
Joined Apr 2002
96 Posts
aero tow

RASCHOW of CASA would be the best to answer this one for the VA area as they had been having some aerotow event(s) up toward their area, between Richmond, VA and towards DC. I know that is a long stretch of road between the two but maybe Skip can chime in here on that one. Trips to Japan, Korea etc.. have kept me from keeping up with schedules in the VA/NC area with all the clubs as they seem to be scheduled right when I am gone etc...

R/
Gene
AcintSpec is offline Find More Posts by AcintSpec
Old Mar 10, 2007, 07:56 PM
Vienna, Virginia, United States
Joined Sep 2001
419 Posts
The CASA aerotow site is a private full-scale grass airstrip (2500ft rwy) owned by one of our members, located near Warrenton, VA. Glider tugs are the only IC powered model aircraft allowed to fly there (current tug is 1/3 scale Extra with 100+cc 2cyl), otherwise restricted to electric/sailplane quiet flight. We give way to occasional full-scale traffic. Also the site for our annual ESL RC Sailplane contest (CASA Memorial Open)
Good Lift!
raschow is offline Find More Posts by raschow
Old Mar 12, 2007, 11:06 AM
Joined Oct 2004
54 Posts
Richmond Radio Control Soaring.
A very small, but very open club in Richmond VA
We fly sailplanes of all types including but not limited to aerotowing my 1/3 scale Minimoa. We also have a variety of electric models flying off our field too. We are a little short on slopes this far east, but working on the issue.

We are about 90 minutes south of the CASA aerotow field and 2 hours north of TMSS for monthly thermal contests.

Doug Barry
Richmond VA
drbarry is offline Find More Posts by drbarry
Old Dec 03, 2009, 05:29 PM
Just Plane Nuts
USA, NC, Southern Pines
Joined Dec 2008
415 Posts
Hello - what is the current status of soaring in NC and VA? I have talked to the Wilson club, but it is about a 3 hour drive for me each way. I am in Southern Pines, west of Fayetteville and while I am a member of SMAC, the local AMA club, I am looking for those interested in soaring. I also travel to Richmond on occasion, might want to meet RRCS people. Louie
Louierc is online now Find More Posts by Louierc
Old Dec 04, 2009, 09:17 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,552 Posts
Eastern Soaring Lleague Club List
http://www.flyesl.com/about_esl/clublist.asp
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Last edited by aeajr; Dec 07, 2009 at 11:42 AM.
Old Dec 06, 2009, 08:50 PM
Centreville, VA
Joined Apr 2009
273 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raschow View Post
The CASA aerotow site is a private full-scale grass airstrip (2500ft rwy) owned by one of our members, located near Warrenton, VA. Glider tugs are the only IC powered model aircraft allowed to fly there (current tug is 1/3 scale Extra with 100+cc 2cyl), otherwise restricted to electric/sailplane quiet flight. We give way to occasional full-scale traffic. Also the site for our annual ESL RC Sailplane contest (CASA Memorial Open)
Good Lift!

Correction, Skip, our current tow plane is a 1/3rd scale Cub with a BME 105.

Frank
Frank Stickle is offline Find More Posts by Frank Stickle
Old Dec 07, 2009, 08:08 AM
Maryland
Joined Dec 2002
414 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Stickle View Post
Correction, Skip, our current tow plane is a 1/3rd scale Cub with a BME 105.

Frank
Frank look at the date of Skip's reply......
rc4fun is online now Find More Posts by rc4fun
Old Dec 07, 2009, 11:50 AM
Centreville, VA
Joined Apr 2009
273 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc4fun View Post
Frank look at the date of Skip's reply......

oops!

Well, we USED to have an Extra

Now we have a cub
Frank Stickle is offline Find More Posts by Frank Stickle