HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 27, 2009, 09:02 PM
Houston, TX
Joined Jan 2008
5,751 Posts
Just to make sure I don't misunderstand and have a hard time with mounting next time. The KDA that I linked to in the "Alfa Appreciation" thread is a direct equivalent of your "older style" Hacker?

I don't mind dealing with too short of a motor by adding spacers but too long is definitely problematic.
dude_109 is offline Find More Posts by dude_109
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 27, 2009, 09:33 PM
nsg
Yardley, PA
Joined Sep 2006
4,154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_109
Just to make sure I don't misunderstand and have a hard time with mounting next time. The KDA that I linked to in the "Alfa Appreciation" thread is a direct equivalent of your "older style" Hacker?

I don't mind dealing with too short of a motor by adding spacers but too long is definitely problematic.
I don't t remember what motor you linked to, but KDA 20-28 is exactly the same geometrically as my Hackers. I have one KDA 20-28 and several Hackers. I prefer Hackers (my kid being out of college ), but KDAs are ok.

Generally, there are two factors to keep in mind: 1. distance from mounting plane to prop adapter plane, if memory serves it needs to be 33 to 35mm (I provided measurements somewhere in the Alfa appreciation thread); 2. for spinner-equipped Alfas, thickness of prop hub. Alfa spinner mounts on top of the propeller, so the clearance between the cowl and the rear end of the spinner is affected by prop hub thickness. I think I was able to fit a Hacker 20-20, too, but the fit wasn't as close, and you don't need a 200 wt motor in an Alfa anyway.
nsg is offline Find More Posts by nsg
Old Jun 27, 2009, 10:10 PM
Blue Stick's Dad
Westchester, Ca
Joined May 2003
1,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsg
I think I was able to fit a Hacker 20-20, too, but the fit wasn't as close, and you don't need a 200 wt motor in an Alfa anyway.
I have a hacker 20-20 and I disagree. a 200 watt motor can be fun. I put 20-20's in all my alfa's

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=1515934
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=1478524
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=747658
Brian Koester is offline Find More Posts by Brian Koester
Last edited by Brian Koester; Jun 27, 2009 at 10:15 PM.
Old Jan 05, 2010, 06:16 PM
sweden
Joined Mar 2002
45 Posts
wing fit

Has anyone experienced a bad fitting wing/fulseage with this spitfire?
Just opened my box and while test assembling realized the wing won't really fit flush against the fuselage. The fit is very good against the top fairings, and leading edge fit is also very good. But the bottom trailing edge sits a millimeter or two above where it should be flush with the fuselage,
Seems weird, by just eyeballing it I'm suspecting I would get a very high positive wing incidence flying it like that..
radek is offline Find More Posts by radek
Old Mar 02, 2010, 12:47 PM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,853 Posts
Mine is the same at a quick glance, not noticed it before, don't think that it is a problem.

Well I came here because I maidened mine today!

I had some posts in here when I first got it in April 2007, has been finished for a while but was dithering over radio gear, got a DX 7 recently which solved my problem (of what to do with the Rx aerial!).

I have rudder and retracts and it is close to the upper weight limit at 410g but it flies very nicely.

The AXI 2208/34 is possibly too much for it as I am using no throttle at all, I'm struggling to programme a curve into the DX 7 but it doesn't seem easy (if actually possible).

My other worry was the 'parkfly' range of the AR 6110e Rx that I chose to use but I didn't have any problems at all even with the model a fair distance away.

Very pleased and I'm tempted to order the Bf 109F using the experience gained with this one.

Even happier that it flew three times and I came home with the Spit in one piece!!

Cheers

Gary
Gary Binnie is online now Find More Posts by Gary Binnie
Old Mar 02, 2010, 01:43 PM
Houston, TX
Joined Jan 2008
5,751 Posts
Congrats on the maiden, Alfa planes are awesome.

As for programming throttle curve, others may have craftier ways, but you can set up as fixed pitch heli and the throttle channel can be set up as a curve. However, running at too low throttle will be harsh on ESC. If you're not into ultra speed, consider going down from 3S to 2S or going to motor with lower kv. I'm using 1050kv motors and have recently made the move to 2S as I just like to cruise around the sky as opposed to lots of aerobatics.
dude_109 is offline Find More Posts by dude_109
Old Mar 02, 2010, 04:15 PM
buy a lot, fly a little!
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Central And Western District
Joined May 2001
5,691 Posts
Nice going Gary. You needn't worry about using those AR6110's at range. I regularly fly my 50" Twinstar with one of these Rx's in, and I fly that at the same range I would my biggers model, with the satilite receiver. I've never had a problem with them. As far as I'm concerned they are full range Rx's but for small models.

Re: The Bf109, based only one my own experience I'd consider another Alfa. Of all the 8 Alfa's I've flown, the Bf109 flew the worst IMO. Better going for the P47, F4F or the new Tempest. Or if you can wait the new P39 looks to be a sweet flyer.

Stuart.
stuart warne is online now Find More Posts by stuart warne
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: JR P-38 take 2.
Old Mar 02, 2010, 05:32 PM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,853 Posts
Must subscribe to this thread, doh!

Very happy with the Spit, considering clipping the wings, I left them for max wing area.

I'm on 2S already, seem to be getting 15 minutes of 'spirited' flying before the power starts to drop. The throttle curve seems to be a wide problem with the DX7, have googled it a few times. I did reduce the high end point which seems to be having an effect. Also read about using the heli mode, would get myself in a pickle there for sure!!

Need to brush up on scale barrel rolls and Cuban eights though. Certainly some torque effects going on, especially on take off. Not tried a hand launch yet, should be easy.

Well, I have sinned and gone for a BNF PZ 109G (I said it quick so that you wouldn't notice!)

Foam fun!!

GB
Gary Binnie is online now Find More Posts by Gary Binnie
Last edited by Gary Binnie; Mar 02, 2010 at 05:45 PM. Reason: Add