HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 04, 2007, 05:48 PM
Sherbrooke Qc
Joined May 2006
2,298 Posts
Is the big 20 amp controller necessary if you are just going with a belly lander? Do you guys think a 400xt would work in it?
Cheers Mike
Michael Richards is offline Find More Posts by Michael Richards
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 04, 2007, 07:23 PM
Terryville,CT (USA)
Joined Mar 2006
417 Posts
I am going to use the same setup I have on my P-47, the bigger blue motor with a 18-amp controller.
HogCrewChief is offline Find More Posts by HogCrewChief
Old Apr 04, 2007, 08:50 PM
Let er Rip
Long Island, NY
Joined Oct 2003
3,111 Posts
Looking at the things ya need to get deal at Hobby Lobby,

(1) Is it me or do ya need to order 2 sets of retracts

(2) How many servos are required to run these retracts. They show to
micros in addition to the elevator/aileron/rudder.

(3) I think the larger blue MP jet outrunner 30/blah/blah would be a
better choice for motor if using the retracts. I'm gonna get one but
wondering what exactly I need to buy..

Jim
Pilot44 is offline Find More Posts by Pilot44
Old Apr 04, 2007, 09:35 PM
Dert Farmur
Saskatchewan
Joined Jan 2005
799 Posts
WooooHoooo!! The order is placed and the twitching and quivering in anticipation has begun. I feel another build log followed by a happy ending coming on.

I think there are a couple of errors on the recommended items when compared to the instructions, pictures and what Mike H has said. You only need one set of retracts, one HS-65 for the retracts, and I'm going to use two HS-50 for the ailerons and one each HS-55 for the rudder and elevator. I'm also unsure about the 20amp ESC, seeing as they only show an 8amp as being necessary when you buy the 22/7-60 motor/ESC combo.

In any case I'll try it with the little blue 22/7-60, 8amp ESC, the servos as mentioned and an AR6000 2.4ghz Rx. I already have a sizable investment in TP 2000 and 2100mah batteries so I'll probably try them first before I buy any TP1320 packs. The 1320's are quite a bit lighter, but I'm already in danger of having more money tied up in batteries than I have in my truck.
Harv is offline Find More Posts by Harv
Old Apr 04, 2007, 11:10 PM
Sherbrooke Qc
Joined May 2006
2,298 Posts
I hear ya Harv,
Buying batteries all the time adds a big amount to the budget. Like you I've got a bunch of 2000mAh batteries. I was thinking of using a 400xt that I have spare. Or maybe even pirating the engine and power set-up from my recently repaired 190. I'm just still waiting to hear back from HL about my mossie SNAFU before I order anything else.
If I get that sorted out then I expect I won't be able to resist for long
Cheers Mike
Old Apr 05, 2007, 01:44 AM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Aug 2004
2,364 Posts
Why two retract gears rotate one after another?

From data at Alfa website there is only one retract servo.

However why in the video the left and right retract rotate at different time one after another? Most other single retract servo setup the retracts rotate at the same time.

Any one can explain?
shschon is offline Find More Posts by shschon
Old Apr 05, 2007, 05:44 AM
The sky is my playground.
United States, NH
Joined May 2005
7,676 Posts
Mike Hines had stated earlier--maybe in the D-9/Spitefire thread that this had something to do with the mechanics of the retracts and not with having seperate servos. I don't remeber him getting much more specific than that.
Dora Nine is offline Find More Posts by Dora Nine
Old Apr 05, 2007, 05:51 AM
The sky is my playground.
United States, NH
Joined May 2005
7,676 Posts
As for size of ESC, I use Electrifly 25 amp ESC's for my Alfa's--I bit over kill with a 400XT. I usually spin and 8X6 prop with the Esskay. However, the SS-25's are only like 40 bucks from Tower's. They only have a 2amp BEC, so I am going to have to look at something else. I thought Mike Hines had suggested a Jeti Spin Controller since it could handle more servos.

1 Rudder
1 Elevator
2 Alerions
1 Retracts.

I'm planning on using either some from my HS-55 or S-75 stash. The retract will probably be an HS-81.
Dora Nine is offline Find More Posts by Dora Nine
Old Apr 05, 2007, 07:51 AM
Sherbrooke Qc
Joined May 2006
2,298 Posts
D9,
do you find the 400XT's work well on Alfa's? I would only be going belly lander so I shouldn't need that much power, and I prefer more scale looking flight than ripping around at max throttle doing endless verticles. What's your thoughts?
Cheers Mike
Old Apr 05, 2007, 08:23 AM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,497 Posts
Quote:
do you find the 400XT's work well on Alfa's? I would only be going belly lander so I shouldn't need that much power, and I prefer more scale looking flight than ripping around at max throttle doing endless verticles.
They work great for the Alfa models.....Plenty of power...

Mike
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 05, 2007, 08:24 AM
Dert Farmur
Saskatchewan
Joined Jan 2005
799 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shschon
From data at Alfa website there is only one retract servo.

However why in the video the left and right retract rotate at different time one after another? Most other single retract servo setup the retracts rotate at the same time.

Any one can explain?
It's tough to explain, but the way it works allows the side with the least friction to move first, and then the other side. Apparently the design is based on the full scale Spit which operates in a similar manner, one wheel comes up first with it also.

It took me an hour of staring at the videos and instructions to really get it, but once I did I realized just how slick and simple a system it really is.
Harv is offline Find More Posts by Harv
Old Apr 05, 2007, 11:03 AM
3DHS Junkie
Rhode Island
Joined Jun 2005
5,683 Posts
And its available-
800mZero is offline Find More Posts by 800mZero
Old Apr 05, 2007, 12:46 PM
TN
Joined May 2000
1,136 Posts
Guys

It is a typo on our website regarding the retracts. You only need one set. You really do need the wheel set however, they are the right diameter and they are thin enough to fit in the wing.

If you are going to be running 5 servos a SPIN controller is a great choice, it has a switch mode BEC and can run a higher servo count. I have been OK with the regular 18A Jeti, the reason for a higher capacity ESC is that they are better able to handle the heating that results from running more servos and are less likely to cause a thermal shutdown.

The smaller blue MP Jet is the motor recommended by Tonda Alfery when using the retracts, this is because it helps keep the overall weight down and is nearly as powerful as the larger one. The videos on our website are all with the smaller blue motor and it has plenty of power.

Harv, I really would look into a set of 1320's or some other smaller lighter batteries to keep the overall weight down. I'm sure that the model will fly with the 2100's, just a little bit faster.

Mike Hines
Hiflyer is offline Find More Posts by Hiflyer
Old Apr 05, 2007, 01:40 PM
Let er Rip
Long Island, NY
Joined Oct 2003
3,111 Posts
Got to say, very innovative system they use for the retracts. But if you ask me, and who's asking.. . Looks real binding friendly, could be wrong, mind you. We'll see. This is a no spin zone.

Have a look see at the step by step pictorial on Alfa's website

http://www.alfamodel.cz/index.htm

Jim
Pilot44 is offline Find More Posts by Pilot44
Last edited by Pilot44; Apr 05, 2007 at 06:56 PM.
Old Apr 05, 2007, 01:45 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,497 Posts
That is brilliant!

Smart guys.....

Mike
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member