HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 09, 2007, 09:14 AM
TN
Joined May 2000
1,136 Posts
Dora 9

The Spitfires are in transit and I expect them late March or early April (depends on customs ect.)

The Dora is next on the production schedule. I saw the prototype in Prague last October, I have not received a production sample as of yet but expect that they will be coming out in April or so. We will of course be carrying them as soon as they are avialable. The Dora (unlike the Spitfire) will not be set up for retracts.

wellington53

As D9 said, they are similar to the old Scorpio models, but in a smaller scale with a lot more detail and much more complete. In the case of the Spitfire, the mounting points for the retracts are already installed in the wings and ready for the isntall of the Alfa retracts. It is still a bit of work, but compared to engineering it all from scratch, it is a breeze.

Mike Hines
Hiflyer is offline Find More Posts by Hiflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 09, 2007, 10:45 AM
United States, VA, Chesterfield
Joined Mar 2001
5,372 Posts
I have built 2 P51s and 2 F4Us--that really isn't correct--I assempled them. I am wondering if any of the newer Alpha kits are more robust than the ones of a couple of years ago.

My biggest complaint is the fragile nature of their hatches, the ease at which the stabs crack at the centerline and the ease of damaging the leading edges of the wing and getting fracture cracks in the wing. I swore off of these planes because of they are so fragile. Mine get damaged just sitting in the shop.

They are great flying planes (if you can get past the launch successfully).

Pat
Pat Daily is offline Find More Posts by Pat Daily
Old Mar 09, 2007, 11:25 AM
The sky is my playground.
United States, NH
Joined May 2005
7,656 Posts
Mike, Thanks for the update/clarification. I'm kinda happy that each planes' arrvial is a little staggered... It'll give my wallet a chance to catch it's breath--as I would like to build two each of these planes. (bye bye, tax retrun) It's a shame that the Dora isn't set-up for retracts.

Pat, yeah these planes are very fragile and must be treated with respect. I attribute most of my Alfa success to having a field with nice tall grass to land on that was close to home. I recently moved to another state...almost 150 miles away. I was worried that I might not find another nice place to fly. Much to my surprise. I found several places which are quiet, and park flyer friendly. What I am getting at-- these planes will last a long time if you willing to put in the effort. It isn't always easy, believe me it's not. Perhaps now with landing gear, this will make take-off's less scary for those who don't like hand launching. Good luck!
Dora Nine is online now Find More Posts by Dora Nine
Old Mar 11, 2007, 05:41 AM
buy a lot, fly a little!
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Central And Western District
Joined May 2001
5,706 Posts
Mike, do you have any idea how well the retracts would work off a grass strip?
stuart warne is offline Find More Posts by stuart warne
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Savex Spitfire Progress
Old Mar 11, 2007, 01:37 PM
United States, NH
Joined May 2005
7,656 Posts
Stuart, there's a pic in the Beaufighter thread by Harv. Thos wheels slightly look big for the plane...but probably small for grass. Any golf courses near you?
Old Mar 11, 2007, 02:37 PM
TN
Joined May 2000
1,136 Posts
Stuart

I think that the retracts are strong enough for the wear and tear of a grass strip, but due to the size of the model and the wheels (47mm) the grass will need to be short and smooth.

Mike Hines
Old Mar 11, 2007, 07:55 PM
Sherbrooke Qc
Joined May 2006
2,297 Posts
Mike H,
How difficult is the conversion to the clipped wing version? I would love a clipped version but the idea of cutting into that lovely foam just makes me cringe.
Cheers mike
Michael Richards is offline Find More Posts by Michael Richards
Old Mar 11, 2007, 10:33 PM
Dr. John
Sudbury, Canada
Joined Mar 2004
497 Posts
I think there will be an actual clip wing version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Richards
Mike H,
How difficult is the conversion to the clipped wing version? I would love a clipped version but the idea of cutting into that lovely foam just makes me cringe.
Cheers mike
From the alpha web site I got the impression there will be an actual clip wing version.
johnprov is offline Find More Posts by johnprov
Old Mar 11, 2007, 10:48 PM
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnprov
From the alpha web site I got the impression there will be an actual clip wing version.
Its the same plane....you simply glue the wing tips on if you want the normal version and leave them off if you want the clipped wing version(this is what I was told from a European dealer).
kahloq is offline Find More Posts by kahloq
Old Mar 11, 2007, 11:08 PM
Southern CA
Joined Dec 2005
277 Posts
I was under the same impression.
Airplane boy is offline Find More Posts by Airplane boy
Old Mar 12, 2007, 01:44 AM
TN
Joined May 2000
1,136 Posts
Well the European dealer doesn't have it quite right. The Spitfire comes with the full eliptical wing finished. It also comes with vacuformed and painted wing tip caps that the modeler had to glue on to the clipped wing after the modeler cuts off the eliptical tip. The cut is made along a panel line and if done with a new #11 should not pose a big challange. The safe thing to do might be to cut it just outboard of the mark and using a sanding block adjust it back to the mark.

Mike Hines
Old Mar 12, 2007, 02:47 AM
United States, NH
Joined May 2005
7,656 Posts
Sounds easy enough...
Old Mar 12, 2007, 06:44 AM
Sherbrooke Qc
Joined May 2006
2,297 Posts
Thanks Mike.
Yeah it sounds easy just I don't know if I will have the heart to chop up a brand new spitfire wing
Maybe I'll do what the RAF did. Wait till I've had good use out of it and then convert it later after I've got another one.
Cheers Mike
Michael Richards is offline Find More Posts by Michael Richards
Old Mar 12, 2007, 07:19 AM
Dr. John
Sudbury, Canada
Joined Mar 2004
497 Posts
Sounds like a good plan to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Richards
Thanks Mike.
Yeah it sounds easy just I don't know if I will have the heart to chop up a brand new spitfire wing
Maybe I'll do what the RAF did. Wait till I've had good use out of it and then convert it later after I've got another one.
Cheers Mike
Sounds like a good plan to me.
johnprov is offline Find More Posts by johnprov
Old Mar 12, 2007, 10:52 AM
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiflyer
Well the European dealer doesn't have it quite right. The Spitfire comes with the full eliptical wing finished. It also comes with vacuformed and painted wing tip caps that the modeler had to glue on to the clipped wing after the modeler cuts off the eliptical tip. The cut is made along a panel line and if done with a new #11 should not pose a big challange. The safe thing to do might be to cut it just outboard of the mark and using a sanding block adjust it back to the mark.

Mike Hines
Thank you for the clarification...seems I was told half right LOL
kahloq is offline Find More Posts by kahloq