Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 15, 2007, 11:53 AM
Let er Rip
Long Island, NY
Joined Oct 2003
3,111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dora Nine
Thanks for the compliments about my Alfa airforce.I really love these planes through and through. Yeah, what they(Alfa) did..probably lessons learned from the Wildcat, is not to use the same carbard strapping to hold the fuse down. As many horizontal tails including mine were damaged. Instead they used the screw that hold the wing on when the model is completed and some basic friction to hold the fuse in place while in the box. Mine was held in so well, I little nervous about getting it out. Thou some people's got loose in transit--hence the damaged planes. One of my wing tips is slightly squished. I think the easiest solution is to simple make it clipped wing. I'll have some photo's and more impressions posted later today. Overall though, I am very impressed with this model. I was at first upset about the few dollar price increase versus the other Alfa's, but I can see where it went--into the model.
Dora Nine, when I received mine, I was wondering what the heck was holding it down, then decided to pull the battery hatch and have a look see. They should have a little note to that effect (bolt mounted). Someone just might do the King Kong thing and yank off the wing mount trying to get it out of the box.. . And like you I have just about 3/32" wingtip squish on one wing, no big deal, I guess that's a result of dropping the box on end to many times in transit.

Meantime, Nor'easter going on around here. I'm in a big time flood area on the canal down on the bay. Hope my boat don't float off the blocks... . Closely monitoring the situation.

Jim
Pilot44 is offline Find More Posts by Pilot44
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 15, 2007, 01:17 PM
The sky is my playground.
United States, NH
Joined May 2005
7,634 Posts
Yeah were suppose to get nothing but rain--yeah nothing but snow so far. I need to stop procrastinating...and get working.
Dora Nine is offline Find More Posts by Dora Nine
Old Apr 15, 2007, 08:51 PM
United States, NH
Joined May 2005
7,634 Posts
Alright, well I didn't get as much work done as I would have liked to. I have sick G/F and contractors still working in my basement building me my workshop...so I was bit distracted. Thankfully, the contractors will be done with their part tommorrow.

Anyway on to the Spit: Overall, just like building any other Alfa. Clipping the wings was pretty scary. I hated having to cut into that nice foam. The plastic wing tips fit well. Almost too well. which made them hard to glue on without making a mess of it. Probably the hardest part was just stringing the servo wires though the wing. Normally on most ARF's this a quite simple. Alfa..at least with my plane tried to make it easy by stringing in some line to pull the wire though, except it was tangled around the internal framing for the retracts. Those who do the retracts will find an easier time of doing this because you have to cut open more the wing for the retract units. I ended up having to "cheat" some and cut holes in the wheel wells and strung the servo wires that way-so that they passed though the wheel wells. The S75 wires were just long enough to plug into the "Y" harness. I secured the plug with a little CA to keep them from coming un-plugged.
Last edited by Dora Nine; Apr 16, 2007 at 07:02 AM.
Old Apr 15, 2007, 09:12 PM
United States, NH
Joined May 2005
7,634 Posts
Here are some pics for mounting the Esskay 400 XT. This took a bit of carefull alignment to get right. Thankfully I got it right the first time. I was not able to used any of the dimples provided for the MP-jet motor as I had in previous models. Not really sure why either.

The cowl is held on with two rare earth magents from the local Radio Shack. I use the magnets on the plane and some thin but larger diameter washers CA-ed to the inside of the cowl.

More to follow tommorrow.
Last edited by Dora Nine; Apr 16, 2007 at 07:03 AM.
Old Apr 15, 2007, 10:04 PM
Dert Farmur
Saskatchewan
Joined Jan 2005
799 Posts
Looks great D9. Excellent tips for assembly too.

Now to decide on to clip, or not to clip. I'd pretty much settled on no clip, but it looks pretty cool in your pics so now I'm unsure again. Might have to toss a coin to make the final decision.
Harv is offline Find More Posts by Harv
Old Apr 15, 2007, 10:18 PM
Formerly Denver. Now West Bend, WI
Joined Dec 2005
2,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv
Looks great D9. Excellent tips for assembly too.

Now to decide on to clip, or not to clip. I'd pretty much settled on no clip, but it looks pretty cool in your pics so now I'm unsure again. Might have to toss a coin to make the final decision.
Wait until after you ding up the wing tips and then clip them.
LuckyDuc is offline Find More Posts by LuckyDuc
Old Apr 15, 2007, 10:54 PM
WHAT THE...
Evansville, Indiana
Joined Jan 2005
1,576 Posts
Exactly what I was thinking....
barmonkey is offline Find More Posts by barmonkey
Old Apr 16, 2007, 07:06 AM
United States, NH
Joined May 2005
7,634 Posts
Glad I can be of help guys. More pics and info to follow later today.
Old Apr 16, 2007, 07:24 AM
Dr. John
Sudbury, Canada
Joined Mar 2004
497 Posts
Thanks for the pics,

Thanks for the pics, my mouth is watering ; you know you are taking your hobby seriously when you contract out a workshop in your basement. Good luck with the maiden.
johnprov is offline Find More Posts by johnprov
Old Apr 16, 2007, 09:04 AM
United States, NH
Joined May 2005
7,634 Posts
[QUOTE=johnprov]..you know you are taking your hobby seriously when you contract out a workshop in your basement...QUOTE]

Funny you should mention that, before I moved to this house(about 6 weeks ago), I had a two bedroom apt--with a garage...the second room was used for my hobby and the garage--although for my truck, was also my hangar.
Last edited by Dora Nine; Apr 16, 2007 at 09:13 AM.
Old Apr 16, 2007, 12:45 PM
Norman, OK
Joined Jan 2005
683 Posts
Finally tracked down and picked up my misplaced FedEx package... it was delivered to the wrong address, of course, and they had called FedEx to tell them they had this strange package that didn't belong to them, however FedEx never bothered to let me know until I inquired this moring. Anyway, I got the address and went over and picked it up this morning.. what a relief.

Anyway, as I opened the box I could feel some pieces rattling around inside the Alfa box, so I was fearing that dreaded broken tail that a couple of people have reported. Looking inside, the fuselage was not attached to the base via the screw, it was floating around freely. Amazingly, nothing was broken, nothing was even dented.

Whew! It's been somewhat of an ordeal to get my hands on it, but it's a great looking arf!
JustinG is offline Find More Posts by JustinG
Old Apr 16, 2007, 05:29 PM
Let er Rip
Long Island, NY
Joined Oct 2003
3,111 Posts
After finally getting back in my house, flooded out big time, with another flood tide on its way in as I type this. Hope my boat don't go away... I'm going to get the retracts going first off.

Bummed me as well, no pushrod and tube for the rudder, you would think...

Jim
Pilot44 is offline Find More Posts by Pilot44
Last edited by Pilot44; Apr 16, 2007 at 06:32 PM.
Old Apr 16, 2007, 05:34 PM
United States, NH
Joined May 2005
7,634 Posts
Decals

Now this is my favorite part. To me this is when the model come alive with color. Decaling is very easy. And requires only a few simple tools. The hardest part is just going slow and taking your time. This decaling process took seval hours...of working for a little while; then letting things settle. It's important to take your time here. I can't stress that enough. Your model can either look decent or it can really shine. Anyway. On to the pics.
Last edited by Dora Nine; Apr 16, 2007 at 05:39 PM.
Old Apr 16, 2007, 05:49 PM
Sherbrooke Qc
Joined May 2006
2,289 Posts
Wow...great build thread D9.
Where did you get the micro set/sol combo? I found that the decals on my two alfas don't seem to stick all that well. And I've always followed the process you're using (minus the set/sol stuff).
Cheers Mike
Michael Richards is online now Find More Posts by Michael Richards