HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 05, 2007, 05:41 AM
The Revegetator
Melbourne Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,061 Posts
Yippee!
I got a Lanyu F5b Hotliner

Well it's here! It arrived today and I've had a chance to have a quick look at it. It seems to be of a very high quality moulding, and the manufacture looks flawless, although like I have mentioned in another thread I have never had the opportunity to have a close look at a moulded sailplane before. The only problem I see at this point is a crease in one of the wing tips, which I imagine has happened in transit. I have attached some pics; one of the way the model was packed. Although everything is nicely packed, the wing could move in the box and I assume the box was dropped on one end causing the wing to quickly slide into the end of the box. I would really like some opinion as to wether I should worry about getting a replacement wing, or just relax and forget it. It's a pity though as the rest of the model is pristine.

I have slotted my HXT 35-55 outrunner in the nose and it should fit easily. My two 4s packs will also fit. Thank god for this forum, as there were no instructions (which doesn't bother me) but there is no mention of the CoG. It will be the same as the Graupner Speed (according to Model Flight), so that should be easily sorted. David (C-MIC) also has a coulple of these too so I'm keen to get some advice from you David

I have just finished a scale scratch build and I'm still sorting it out, so I'll be taking my time on this one, but I will document my assembly here. I will be using budget components and hope to be pushing about 600-700 Watts with 4s2p 4400 mAh at about 50 amps. I say about because I haven't tested it yet.

There is a bit of interest about this model here in Australia too, so ask away if you want to know anything.

Anyway, here is the Lanyu, and please let me know what you think of the damaged wingtip.
Chris F is online now Find More Posts by Chris F
Last edited by Chris F; Mar 05, 2007 at 05:47 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2007, 06:12 AM
<- Balsa flies better ->
Gustafs, Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
1,968 Posts
It looks great

But you should get compensated for the wing tip in some way (even if it's nothing to worry about).

I'm happy for you

//Peter
wolw is offline Find More Posts by wolw
Old Mar 05, 2007, 06:20 AM
The Revegetator
Melbourne Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,061 Posts
Thanks Peter,

I'll email Model Flight and see what they say. When are you going to fly that Bandit?

Chris.
Old Mar 05, 2007, 06:40 AM
<- Balsa flies better ->
Gustafs, Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
1,968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris F
When are you going to fly that Bandit?

Chris.
Still in surgery

//Peter
wolw is offline Find More Posts by wolw
Old Mar 05, 2007, 11:53 AM
iumop ap!sdn w,I
Joined May 2005
6,523 Posts
That looks nice!

I don't think the wing tip will give you any problems. I had the same thing happen on my Micro Flash. I fought with UPS and Esprit but I never got anywhere. After six months of phone calls, letters, trips to the post office and generally wasting my time, I just decided to put it together and fly it. I haven't noticed any bad flying traits, so I don't think it matters.

One member suggested poking the crease with a pin and dripping thin CA over the area. I never even bothered with this, but may be a good idea if it's bad enough.

Here's some pics of my MF wing tip:
G.P. is offline Find More Posts by G.P.
Last edited by G.P.; Sep 01, 2012 at 10:02 PM.
Old Mar 05, 2007, 12:19 PM
Yes..ok..maybe..lol.....
Tucson Avra Valley, Arizona, United States
Joined Jul 2004
5,729 Posts
Here is how yclui fixed a wing tip:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=11
shhhhh! is offline Find More Posts by shhhhh!
Old Mar 05, 2007, 01:11 PM
f5b-uk
United Kingdom, Dorset
Joined May 2002
3,076 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris F
I would really like some opinion as to wether I should worry about getting a replacement wing, or just relax and forget it. It's a pity though as the rest of the model is pristine.
The wingtip damage will not affect the flying, but it must be annoying.

I'd look at it this way...would you pay full price for a new car with a scratch on one door panel? No, you'd either expect a discount or have them fix it for you. Your wing cannot be fixed to make it perfect, so expect a discount. If you don't complain the supplier will keep shipping them inadequately packed. The wing must be strapped to something rigid and longer, such as corrugated cardboard. Either that or it has to be very tightly packed with newspaper balls, bubble wrap, etc, so it cannot move in the box.

Mike
Mike Seale is online now Find More Posts by Mike Seale
Old Mar 05, 2007, 02:26 PM
The Revegetator
Melbourne Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,061 Posts
Thanks for the feedback guy's,

I have emailed Model Flight and we'll see what happens. I have sent them back a twisted wing on a new model before and they sent me a new one without me even sending the twisted one back, so they're usually pretty good. I have described the packaging and at least I hope they can do something about that. It is always a pity to get something new that is damaged though.
Old Mar 05, 2007, 03:03 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Apr 2003
1,455 Posts
Hi Chris,

Nice to see your beauty arrived that promptly though the creased at wing tip is quite disturbed. But such amiss is not rare in hotliner scene. I had come across 2 alike cases. One is a ZOOM from a USA agent, another was happened when the first RW2 Comp (most expensive one, for VERY light materials were being used..) I had emailed several times to that USA agent but NEVER receive any reply , I was NOT ASKED for any form of compensation but just wanna remind them hoping improvement to be made in the further (OK, no more further deal is that's ALL).. I did same thing to Stratair, attitude is 1200% better than it should be..

To repair those creases is pc of cake if you could build from scratches. Just a thin CA, a smaller tube, bit of fillers like Microballoon…. Some tape = done! That creases area is non structural member………….
Some info which may help:
1) My favourite is CG 65-70mm behind LE.
2) Check the motor to ensure it could take the power, because more and more people making motors…those copies of copy fuselages and wings are easily killed by OVERHEAT, I almost lost a sport plane due to a burnt of esc and packs???…..
3) I use HS56HB all around..

Enjoy the build and flying.

David
C-MIC is offline Find More Posts by C-MIC
Last edited by C-MIC; Mar 06, 2007 at 07:18 AM.
Old Mar 05, 2007, 05:01 PM
"No" means "Know"!
USA, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2004
568 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shhhhh!
Here is how yclui fixed a wing tip:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=11

Excellent!!!
an85yalie is online now Find More Posts by an85yalie
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 05, 2007, 06:27 PM
Yes..ok..maybe..lol.....
Tucson Avra Valley, Arizona, United States
Joined Jul 2004
5,729 Posts
If you look at some of yclui's other posts...he does some awesome repair work that most pilots would just throw in the trash can! Take a look at this one!!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...64&postcount=1
shhhhh! is offline Find More Posts by shhhhh!
Old Mar 05, 2007, 10:14 PM
United States, CA, Rancho Cucamonga
Joined Mar 2003
762 Posts
Thats some amazing repair!!!!
PylonDave is offline Find More Posts by PylonDave
Old Mar 05, 2007, 11:14 PM
NorthCoast NSW
Joined Feb 2004
228 Posts
Hi Chris,

Bummer about the wing and I hope they do the right thing.

Can you see the spar, carbon caps etc? How does it look internally?

Pete
PeterB is offline Find More Posts by PeterB
Old Mar 05, 2007, 11:19 PM
The Revegetator
Melbourne Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,061 Posts
I got a reply from Model Flight and have been offered some compensation in the form of a discount on a future purchase. I don't know what sort of discount yet, but the guy's at Model Flight are pretty fair so I'm not worried. I was told a bit of thin CA in the crack/hole will stop it from getting bigger so I'll do that.

shhhhh,

Thanks for the links, the damage on my model won't need that sort of repair, but wow if I ever break a wing I hope I can do something like that!!!
Old Mar 05, 2007, 11:31 PM
The Revegetator
Melbourne Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterB
Hi Chris,

Bummer about the wing and I hope they do the right thing.

Can you see the spar, carbon caps etc? How does it look internally?

Pete
Hi Peter,

I'm no expert on the insides of a moulded wing, so I took a photo. Most of the inside seems to be lined with balsa which feels like it has been impregnated with resin. You can see white behind the balsa where the spar is, and I guess the carbon caps are the black bits?

See what you make of it.