HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 04, 2007, 11:39 PM
KC8WPF
Euclid, Ohio, United States
Joined Sep 2004
3,752 Posts
Build Log
Tian Jie S-100

I figured it was better to start a new build log on this model, rather than add to the other discussion on it. In the other thread, I provided some photos of the kit right out of the box. Here are some of my observations on this model. First, it's not a kit for the first time builder; you should have some kit building, kit bashing, and/or some scratch building experience. There are no written directions like those provided by Midwest, Dumas, and others. There is a booklet of some expoded drawings and pictures. The drawings in the book don't necessarily agree with the full size print or the pictures. There are no dimensions provided in the book or print. Second, it doesn't seem like the guy who did the CNC plastic used the same parts layout as the guy who "wrote" the picture book. The plastic sheets don't match the drawings in the book, some parts were on the wrong sheet. Pay close attention to the parts locator drawings in the book. There should be three sets of "E" parts, these are for the engine room vent trunks; my kit only had parts for one vent trunk.

I am satisfied with quality of the hull and deck moldings. The deck is already joined to the hull. I did spend a couple of hours filling nicks & dings with Bondo putty and sanding the hull. I spent about an hour sanding the center center shaft skeg and tailpiece.
CG Bob is offline Find More Posts by CG Bob
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2007, 12:40 AM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,328 Posts
It's almost comical, how mismatched the cnc parts to the diagrams are. Good thing you are a master modeler.
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Mar 05, 2007, 03:40 AM
Shanghai'd Expat
Xiaoshan, China
Joined Jun 2006
4,591 Posts
Yes, am finding the same issues with mine. Its an exercise in frustration but at least I can figure this one out with the limited number of parts to deal with.

After watching Pat's Yami build, I may put my 1/200 Takao up for sale.

Kmot, save your pennies for the Italeri kit. I went to bed with the Elco color booklet last night & my wife asked where in the hell did I get that!

Chuck
herrmill is offline Find More Posts by herrmill
Old Mar 11, 2007, 07:51 PM
I see a plan in your flaw
Shaker Heights, OH
Joined Mar 2005
493 Posts
Lookin good Bob. When do I get to see her in person and when are we hitting the lake? When do you start to drop the boats in the water? I am ready to do some boating!

Marty
pusar is offline Find More Posts by pusar
Old Mar 13, 2007, 01:45 PM
KC8WPF
Joined Sep 2004
3,752 Posts
Marty - most of the guys like the ice to be completely melted before they splash a boat. If the lake is has a clear area near the shore, I've been known to run in the ice.

Here are some more pics of the S-100. I only got one bow chock, Part #5; I made the second one from some styrene stock. The resin fittings in this kit are more brittle than other companies resin fittings.
Old Mar 17, 2007, 12:05 AM
Shanghai'd Expat
Xiaoshan, China
Joined Jun 2006
4,591 Posts
Bob,

Thanks for the build photos! You are certainly far ahead of where I am at this point so it will certainly be a great help in complimenting the "instructions" that came with the set.

Chuck
herrmill is offline Find More Posts by herrmill
Old Mar 18, 2007, 10:30 PM
KC8WPF
Joined Sep 2004
3,752 Posts
Chuck - I'm glad you're enjoying my build. Over the last few days I added the handrails around the bridge, and took a serious look at the supplied horn. The horn and mounting post are cast resin, sure to snap off fairly quickly.; Mine snapped off as I was getting in place for glue. I had some problems with trying to make one out of brass tube, so I started making a new horn from brass rod. After an hour, the horn I was turning on the lathe snapped off behind the work bench. I'll look for it in the morning and decided if I will continue machining a new one.
Old Mar 18, 2007, 11:13 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,286 Posts
Looks really good Bob.
Interesting that you had to scratch build two more engine room vents.
Did they plan the kit with only one where there were supposed to be three?
Umi_Ryuzuki is online now Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Mar 19, 2007, 12:23 AM
KC8WPF
Joined Sep 2004
3,752 Posts
The full size boat had three, but the kit I received only had parts for one. The drawings in the kit instruction book didn't match the actual PE brass or CNC cut plastic. The full size drawing provided with the kit shows all three vents. The instruction book, and I use that term very loosely here, has several photos showing where the cast resin parts go, but don't really indicate where any of the PE brass goes. I'll try to take some photos of the instruction book to show what I mean.
Old Mar 19, 2007, 06:45 AM
United States, NY, Buffalo
Joined Oct 2003
640 Posts
Resources

Bob,

I have to ask what resources (books, drawings by who, internet sites) are you using to complete this model. I have started collecting materials but would like to get materials that would let me understand the boat.

Then I just have to figure out how to model like you.

A little of the subject - are you going nuts over the revell subs?

Thanks for this thread, I copy it everday into my word document -and send the large version of the pictures to the S-boat file on my flash drive. This is becoming like Bob Page 2 verse 3/17/2007.

See you at Toledo.

Thanks,
Rich
rlboats2003 is offline Find More Posts by rlboats2003
Old Mar 19, 2007, 10:32 AM
KC8WPF
Joined Sep 2004
3,752 Posts
Rich,

The two reference books I'm using now are: "Schnellboot in Action" published by Squadron; and "German S-boats" published by Classic Warship Books. Online I use prinzeugen.com.

As for the Revell subs, I've seen the new GATO and am not interested. I have a 1;96 scale Scale Shipyard GATO class, USS HAMMERHEAD. The HAMMERHEAD works and needs a little more trimming to work good. HAMMERHEAD was one of the Manitowoc 28 and can be entered as a Great Lakes vessel. Manitowoc Shipbuilding, in Manitowoc Wi built 28 GATO/BALAO class subs during WWII. After sea trials in Lake Michigan, the subs cruised to Chicago. In Chicago, the subs were loaded onto a floating drydock, and had their periscope shears removed. The subs were then towed up the Chicago River, down the Illinois River, and then down the Mississippi River to New Orleans. In New Orleans the subs were put back together and then sailed for the war zone.
Last edited by CG Bob; Mar 19, 2007 at 10:47 AM.
Old Mar 19, 2007, 11:47 AM
United States, NY, Buffalo
Joined Oct 2003
640 Posts
Thanks Bob

Well I have the second one on order from Don and have the In action book.
I Didn't know PE had so much on s-boats. One of the other good to have is having Der Kapitan up the road to discuss the K-marine with.

What sub did you have at Toledo Last year? I think it was ww2 vintage.

Again, Thanks for the reference info,
Rich
rlboats2003 is offline Find More Posts by rlboats2003