HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 03, 2007, 11:48 PM
Torrance
Joined Feb 2005
1,409 Posts
Discussion
Glow fuel to gasoline conversion?

I have a question in regards to using gasoline instead of alcohol fuel in a ringed glow motor. Is it possible to do this after mixing in some castor with gas? What would the long term effects be? Abnormal wear on parts ?
JustinONE is offline Find More Posts by JustinONE
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 03, 2007, 11:54 PM
I Wish I Was Flying...
United States, CO, Littleton
Joined Nov 2006
679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinONE
I have a question in regards to using gasoline instead of alcohol fuel in a ringed glow motor. Is it possible to do this after mixing in some castor with gas? What would the long term effects be? Abnormal wear on parts ?
You would need to find a new head that would accept a spark plug... You simply can't run gas on a glow plug, at least I don't think... I doubt it is possible to convert...
sdueck is offline Find More Posts by sdueck
Old Mar 04, 2007, 12:07 AM
floating and flying
Stockton, CA USA
Joined Jun 2005
332 Posts
First, Castor will not mix with gasoline. There are plenty of other oils that will, of course. To switch to gasoline means converting to spark ignition also, as glow plugs rely not on heat but catalytic reaction with the methanol to stay lit. I myself have converted an OS 26 Surpass to ignition using a CH ignition. Normally, glow to gas conversions end up with a very sensitive needle if trying to use the glow carb with gas. Gasoline uses much more air in combustion than methanol fuel. In short, it can be done, but has been largely abandoned as a viable option for smaller model airplane engines. But for giant scale flyers gasoline engines are all the rage. Note that those engines where all engineered to be run on gasoline from the start.
Some people from time to time have advocated the addition of a small amount of gasoline to glow fuel. Remember when messing with fuel mixing or additives not to lower the total oil content.
misfitsailor is offline Find More Posts by misfitsailor
Old Mar 05, 2007, 10:26 AM
In Massive Debt
Northampton Massachussetts
Joined Jun 2005
2,001 Posts
YES YOU CAN.

I have succesfully run gas in a glow engine with fine results. I used a mix of about 15% glow fuel, and 85% gasoline. However, if you run an engine like this, it will basically wreck it. After about 2 hours of run time with the engine set up like this, it jsut stopped working. Also, there is a slight chance that the engine might detonate.
blizzardwarrior7 is offline Find More Posts by blizzardwarrior7
Old Mar 05, 2007, 04:20 PM
Florida
Joined Aug 2004
4,062 Posts
Yes, you can convert. You need to get an electronic ignition module, spark plug and a new carb. Glow carbs are very difficult to adjust for gasoline as they tend to let to much fuel pass and are very difficult to properly adjust. the gasoline carbs have a much finer adjustment (longer taper on the needle valve and smaller diameter). The engine will wear out much faster, usually the rod bearing goes first.
Rodney is online now Find More Posts by Rodney
Old Mar 14, 2007, 12:45 AM
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined Dec 2001
60 Posts
Castor does not mix with gas? I been running a Castor blend in my gas engine for years.

Part 68-1267 - Maxima Castor 927 2 Stroke Oil
Castor 927 is a unique blend of highly refined castor oil, a specially prepared synthetic and an additive system that reduces carbon and gum formation and provides excellent rust & corrosion protection. Castor 927 also contains an exclusive additive that keeps power valves cleaner and working properly. For all of us that wish to keep our air and water cleaner, Castor 927 is biodegradable. Castor 927 keeps on lubricating; where other lubricants turn to carbon or vaporize, and provides extra protection on cylinder walls, bearing journals and other critical areas at temperatures much higher than other lubricants. Sold in quarts.
Price: $12.77
RSTEARMAN is offline Find More Posts by RSTEARMAN
Old Mar 14, 2007, 12:53 AM
supreme being of leisure
Tel Aviv, Israel
Joined Jul 2004
2,121 Posts
klotz benol also works great with gas, use it in all my big planes and the weedeater...always have that great glow fuel aroma.

most glow engines rely heavily on methanol for cooling and don't like gas.

dave
ZAGNUT is offline Find More Posts by ZAGNUT