HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 18, 2007, 08:38 PM
Obviously I'm a "Minus Member"
USA, MA, Longmeadow
Joined Jun 2003
1,832 Posts
Hi Larry. I used el cheapo craft store acrylic paints (the $.79/bottle kind ).
I sealed the wood first with a couple of coats of sealer, lightly sanded, and put four coats of the acrylic on. I've also put two coats of a WBPU varnish (Miniwax brand) over the paint. The only thing I needed to do was to thin the acrylics down about 30%, as to paint them from the bottle left a lot of brush marks (they dry very quickly). The addition of a little tap water and I was OK. I don't have an airbrush, so all the paint was brushed on.

As near as I can tell, the finish is pretty hard. I've tried scratching it with my fingernail, pressing on it, etc., and it seems pretty durable. Only time will tell, I guess, just how durable.

Mark
buzzltyr is online now Find More Posts by buzzltyr
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 19, 2007, 05:28 PM
USA, MA, Longmeadow
Joined Jun 2003
1,832 Posts
A little more progress....

Hull is now painted, striped, and clear coated with the WBPU. I think Hinckley would be proud!

Now I have to wait for my electronics to arrive, so I can get everything soldered up and installed. I am definitely closing in on this one.

A question for Pat: In the one picture of the boat on the Dare website, there is no receiver antenna that I can see. By chance have you led the antenna around the underside of the deck, rather than leading it out through the deck?

Mark
Old Mar 19, 2007, 07:01 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzltyr
Hull is now painted, striped, and clear coated with the WBPU. I think Hinckley would be proud!
I would say so!!! She is really looking great, Mark!!! Great colors you picked for her! Looking forward to seeing her come together!

Does she have a name yet?
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Mar 19, 2007, 07:36 PM
USA, MA, Longmeadow
Joined Jun 2003
1,832 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerominded
I would say so!!! She is really looking great, Mark!!! Great colors you picked for her! Looking forward to seeing her come together!

Does she have a name yet?
In a word, Aero, no. I had one, but my wife scuttled the suggestion (guess who I was going to name it after ). It may be "NoName" for awhile.

Mark
Old Mar 19, 2007, 07:45 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,149 Posts
Hee hee, tell your wife you have decided to name the boat "Brittney Spears" and she may come around to your original idea!!!
Old Mar 19, 2007, 07:47 PM
USA, MA, Longmeadow
Joined Jun 2003
1,832 Posts
Quote:
Hee hee, tell your wife you have decided to name the boat "Brittney Spears" and she may come around to your original idea!!!
Yea, right after she kicked my sorry, aged butt out the door........

Mark
Old Mar 19, 2007, 07:53 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,149 Posts
Hee hee, on second thought, maybe that isn't such a good idea!
Old Mar 19, 2007, 10:10 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,513 Posts
Mark, The Marina is looking good. BTW, I always name boats after family members of both the 2 and 4 legged variety -- keeps me out of trouble that way. Here's the "family member" this boat was named after.
The antena on this hull works real well taped around the deck sheer on the inside.

PAT
P. Tritle is offline Find More Posts by P. Tritle
Old Mar 19, 2007, 10:29 PM
USA, MA, Longmeadow
Joined Jun 2003
1,832 Posts
Hi Pat! Thanks for the info on the antenna. I figured this one was pre-DX6, so the inside made sense. Thanks for the compliment. It really has been a very enjoyable build. It's far from perfect, but I've learned a lot.

We are on our third solid black cat. Gamiel, Sable and now Gwen (all named by my son).
Nice to know where "Marina" came from. No doubt Marina keeps you on the straight and narrow in the workshop.

One other question for you. I'm assuming that a small control horn on the rudder servo would be acceptable. I can't imagine that I'm looking for a lot of throw on the rudder, or am I?

As always, thanks for the advice!

Mark
Old Mar 19, 2007, 10:32 PM
USA'd ex Brit
Back.. In California
Joined Aug 2006
5,781 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzltyr
...but my wife scuttled the suggestion (guess who I was going to name it after ). It may be "NoName" for awhile.
I was going to name one of my boats after my Wife... But 'Oi you' didnt seem to fit the boat...

Looking good Buzz... Do you have a launch date yet?
toesup is offline Find More Posts by toesup
Old Mar 19, 2007, 10:41 PM
USA, MA, Longmeadow
Joined Jun 2003
1,832 Posts
Thanks for the compliment, toesup. Affectionate spousal names are definitely ALL off the list of possibilities.

Given that it was snowing here an hour ago, and the high today was in the 20's, a maiden voyage is a ways off. Spring can't come soon enough........

Mark
Old Mar 19, 2007, 10:54 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,513 Posts
Mark, Yep, Marina is definately a great shop critter. She finds a spot on the window sill and hangs out for hours at a time. The good news is she never gets into anything -- even when no one is looking!!!
For the rudder, 25 degrees or so of throw will be sufficient. Too much and it'll get twitchy at faster speeds, and of course too little would hinder the slow speed handling some.

PAT
P. Tritle is offline Find More Posts by P. Tritle
Old Mar 19, 2007, 11:12 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Tritle
she never gets into anything -- even when no one is looking!!!

PAT
Aw man, you're lucky! My QA staff get into all kinds of mischief when they arn't closely supervised!
Old Mar 20, 2007, 01:43 AM
Taking care of the pond.
United States, CA, Sanger
Joined Apr 2004
7,346 Posts
Quote:
Aw man, you're lucky! My QA staff get into all kinds of mischief when they arn't closely supervised!
Tell me about it!!!
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Mar 21, 2007, 06:47 AM
USA, MA, Longmeadow
Joined Jun 2003
1,832 Posts
The electronics arrived yesterday afternoon, so I installed them and finished up the Marina. After dealing with tiny little airplane fuselages, installing the electronics was a treat.)

I added the rest of the little details (cleats, etc.). The kit provides bamboo skewers for the outriggers, but I decided to go with some .080 styrene rod instead, as they are more flexible and probably less subject to "hanger rash" (the rod was left from building a Tritle Tiger Moth, btw).

After wiring everything up and screwing down the hull, it was off to the bathtub for a test. Everything worked. So now, all I have to do is wait for the water around here to get soft, and it will be time for a maiden voyage.

I'd like to offer my sincere thanks to everyone who contributed to this build with advice, thoughts, suggestions and help. Your willingness to help and your interest made it a very fun project. My thanks go to Pat for a nicely designed model, as well as his thoughts and advice.

This really was a very good choice for a first wood boat build. Very easy to build, and you end up with a nice looking finished model.

I'll report back after I get a chance to run her and see what she can do.

Mark