HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 14, 2007, 08:22 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,513 Posts
Mark, FWIW, if the prop has a 1/8" hole you can shim it with a piece of brass tube soldered to the shaft, then epoxy or JB weld the prop to the shim. Otherwise, if the fit is just "a bit" loose, simply glue it on. I did mine that way and its been holding up fine for 7 or 8 years now, and probably well over 75 hours running.

PAT
P. Tritle is offline Find More Posts by P. Tritle
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 14, 2007, 01:35 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,148 Posts
Yep, that is a left hand prop! in your picture, "Prop2" posted on the left you have it sitting on the workbench, aft side up- Looking down on it, the left edge of the prop, which is the leading edge is the edge that is touching the table... this identifies it as a left hand, left turning prop... from the same perspective, aft side up, if the right side of the blade (leading edge) was touching the table, it would be a right hand, right turning prop.

In single screw boats, the use of LH or RH turning props comes down to preference or which way your motor is set up to run- there is no performance difference other than which way the boat will "prop walk" when going slowly in reverse-

In a twin, ideally, you want to set the motors up to counter rotate so you would want one RH and one LH prop for that.

Hope that helps!
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Mar 14, 2007, 02:16 PM
Obviously I'm a "Minus Member"
USA, MA, Longmeadow
Joined Jun 2003
1,832 Posts
Thanks, Aero. Very, very helpful.

Mark
buzzltyr is offline Find More Posts by buzzltyr
Old Mar 16, 2007, 09:09 AM
USA, MA, Longmeadow
Joined Jun 2003
1,832 Posts
A little more progress to report.

The first pic is of a very ugly, but pretty smooth hull. (Boy am I glad this one is getting painted.)The third (and very thin coat of resin) has been applied, as have the chine rails and splash rails.

The second pic is the float test. Good news, after sitting in the bathtub with more weight than I would expect the electronics and battery to weigh, it floated just fine. No leakage in the hull after about five minutes.

Mark
Last edited by buzzltyr; Mar 16, 2007 at 11:29 AM.
Old Mar 16, 2007, 01:04 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,148 Posts
Great news Mark! Looking great! Have you picked out a paint scheme yet?
Old Mar 16, 2007, 02:11 PM
USA, MA, Longmeadow
Joined Jun 2003
1,832 Posts
Aero, yes I have! If I were rich enough to have a Sport Fisherman custom designed and built, I'd have it done by Hinckley. I've always admired their line of yachts. So, this one is getting the classic Hinckley scheme -- red bottom, blue hull, white deck and bootstripe. Making this one the only Hinckley I'm likely ever to own. Of course, I suppose that's why I have a P-51, a Cessna 182, a Tiger Moth, etc.....

Mark
Old Mar 16, 2007, 02:40 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,148 Posts
Hinckley builds nice boats for sure! I'm a fan of their older yawls in particular!

your color scheme sounds like it will be very nice!

Be sure to add a little bit of mahogany trim, like toe rails around the edge of the deck, a mahogany cabin door, etc! A touch of chrome trim would also be good!

I'm totally with you on 'living the dream' through RC models!
Last edited by Aerominded; Mar 16, 2007 at 05:11 PM.
Old Mar 16, 2007, 06:55 PM
USA, MA, Longmeadow
Joined Jun 2003
1,832 Posts
Aero, hmmm. Mahogany toe rails. I think I have some 1/16"sq not doing anything at the moment...

Mark
Old Mar 16, 2007, 06:58 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,148 Posts
1/16" would be perfect!
Old Mar 16, 2007, 08:08 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,417 Posts
The float test completed with no leaks, must mean it's time to put some holes through the hull for rudder and prop shafts.
Umi_Ryuzuki is offline Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Mar 17, 2007, 06:09 AM
USA, MA, Longmeadow
Joined Jun 2003
1,832 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umi_Ryuzuki
The float test completed with no leaks, must mean it's time to put some holes through the hull for rudder and prop shafts.
Umi, the rudder and prop shaft tubes are already in place. Which is why I am REALLY happy there were no leaks (yet). We'll have to wait and see what happens when the boat is run......

Mark
Old Mar 18, 2007, 02:40 PM
USA, MA, Longmeadow
Joined Jun 2003
1,832 Posts
A little more progress!

My sincerest thanks to Aerominded for the "mahogany" trim suggestion. Worked a bit on that last night. I'm attaching a pic, but to be honest, it looks much better in person. The contrast between the trim and the white deck is striking. So, Thanks, Aerominded. The suggestion was a great one!

Mark
Old Mar 18, 2007, 07:05 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,148 Posts
That really looks great, Mark! I like the mahogany hand railing you added to the cabin top as well!
Old Mar 18, 2007, 08:18 PM
USA, MA, Longmeadow
Joined Jun 2003
1,832 Posts
Thanks, Aero. But you get all the credit for the idea!

It's rapidly going from a sport fisherman to a custom Hinckley yacht. The placement of the trim and the handrails came as a result of spending some time on Hinckley's website over the last couple of days. They have some really beautiful boats, many of which would make really great models. The toerail and handrail trim came from the T40.

Mark
Old Mar 18, 2007, 08:30 PM
Joined Jan 2007
597 Posts
shes looking super good..buzz what kind of paint did you use on the top sides? i am getting ready to paint my Daphne and not sure what to use. thanks
larryg is offline Find More Posts by larryg