HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 02, 2007, 03:29 PM
United States, TN, Blountville
Joined Oct 2002
3,586 Posts
Question
Anyone know sources for Spitfire Mk XIVe cross-sections?

Does anyone know sources for fuselage cross-sections for the Spitfire Mk XIVe model? From what I understand the Mk XIV was built on the Mk IX fuse and later they cut down the rear fuselage and built it with the teardrop (bubble) canopy. I have a Mk IX plan I want to modify to have Mk XIVe fuselage and then modify the wings on the Mk IX to the clipped E wing.

Thanks!

David
RAFster
RAFster is offline Find More Posts by RAFster
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2007, 05:24 PM
DUNDAS CANADA
Joined Feb 2006
564 Posts
David, this might help.
LADDIE is offline Find More Posts by LADDIE
Old Mar 02, 2007, 05:57 PM
Joined Oct 2002
3,586 Posts
Laddie, Thank you!
I am wanting to model the Mk XIVe which has the teardrop canopy with cut down fuselage turtledeck. The cross-sections in your attachement give the Mk IX and early Mk XIV cross-sections.
My understanding is that the Mk XIVe all had the teardrop canopy w/ cutdown rear fuselage turtledeck shown in the bottom of the 3 view you attached and they came with a clipped "E" wing.

I don't have a 10th of the number of books/magazines on the Spitfire as I have for the Hurricane. All the 3 views I've found do not have the cross sections for the Mk XIVe fuselage.

Thanks again!

RAFster
David
Old Mar 02, 2007, 07:21 PM
DUNDAS CANADA
Joined Feb 2006
564 Posts
What about this three view.
Old Mar 02, 2007, 07:58 PM
Joined Oct 2002
3,586 Posts
Laddie where did you find these? That's perfect!
Just what I needed.
Oddly enough my Griffon Spitfires book didn't have these sections. I bought it hoping it would...

It will be a while before I build her so there is time for finding that.

I'm very grateful Laddie! Thanks for the assistance!!!

Now I need a spiffy Spitfire scheme for the Mk XIVe...
Wow, wonder how big a brushless motor a 5 blade Vario for a 36" span Spit would need?

David
RAFster
Old Mar 02, 2007, 10:12 PM
DUNDAS CANADA
Joined Feb 2006
564 Posts
I am glad you like it.
Many years ago I designed electric powered Spitfire Mk. 24 for Easy Built Company. They produced the kits of this plane for number of years. It was great flyer with very inefficient Leasure 05 can motor. I do not know if they produce this kit anymore. To me Mk 22 is much more prettier then any other version.
Old Mar 05, 2007, 12:51 PM
Joined Oct 2002
3,586 Posts
Laddie, I'm with you on the Mk 24 and Mk22 beign nicer... The long nose and flowing lines. I like the Griffon powered Spits more than the Mk I, Mk V, Mk VIII etc.

I realized I confused the Mk XIVe with the Mk XVIe. The Mk XIV was based on the Mk IX while the Mk XVI was based on the Mk VIII (or Mk VII).
The Mk XVI were Packard-Merlin powered 266 (66 Merlin engine) and in LF form they had the clipped e wing. They were externally similar to the Mk IX Spitfire.
The Mk XIVe was Griffon 65 or 66 powered w/5 blade Rotol prop.

Before I build the Mk XIVe or Mk LF XVIe I intend to build a Spiteful...but that is a ways off.

I have a 36" version of the Spitfire by Easy Built for rubber. Forget the variant.
I also have the 36" Hurricane by Easy Built. Both cut out but not built yet.

Maybe we can talk Vinto into putting together a 5 blade Rotol in a size the Axi 2212/20 could swing comfortably on either 3S or 2S. That's a pretty plane Laddie...
I'll have to see if I can find one of those...

I had the pleasure of hearing a Packard Merlin a few times this weekend as the Davis Monathan practice and demo for the airshow circuit was this past weekend. I didn't get to go. I did get to see the F22 in formation with the P51 and F16? Was looking at the F22 and P51 when it passed overhead a couple times. Pretty.
I know, I missed out...just other priorities.

David