SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 02, 2007, 06:35 AM
Got lift?
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Joined Apr 2006
822 Posts
Discussion
rimfire motors

are the greatplanes rimfire and ammo motors any good for their price? to they match the stats that they say like maximum weight, kv rating ect?
zackesch is offline Find More Posts by zackesch
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2007, 10:07 AM
Nothing like a good WOODIE!
USA, DE, Newark
Joined Jun 2005
1,662 Posts
I own three Rimfire and 1 Ammo motor and so far the Ammo inrunner has given me the best performance. I started out with a 35-30/1250 motor which Great Planes lists as being able to spin a 10x7 prop on 3s lipo, well at first it had plenty of power and I was pleased but the second flight toasted one of the stator poles. Fortunately the warranty had a new one to me in a weeks time. The replacement is working very well but I now fly the plane with a 10x5e prop just to be on the safe side. The other two have just been bench run to verify they work and will soon be put to use in a couple of new projects. I purchased the inrunner Ammo motor for use in a scratch built pusher plane and testing so far shows plenty of power. Several more knowledgeable folks on this forum have also mentioned that these motors seem overrated for their use and precautions should be taken to keep the amp draw a bit lower than the max recommended. I will be hopefully flying the rest of the motors in the next month or two and plan on posting my results here.
As far as your questions, Yes I think they are a good value, and they come very close to their published specs as far as weight and Kv, but be carefull about the max amps.

cooper998
cooper998 is offline Find More Posts by cooper998
Old Mar 02, 2007, 10:53 AM
Got lift?
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Joined Apr 2006
822 Posts
me, personlay, i dont like to push motors to the limit so i go under the max.
Old Mar 02, 2007, 11:36 AM
Nothing like a good WOODIE!
USA, DE, Newark
Joined Jun 2005
1,662 Posts
Good point zackesh and I do the same, but when a manufacturer states the abilities of a specific motor and publishes those specs we are led to believe the motor is capable of those specs. In my case I actually fly my plane ( great planes 25 size T-Craft) at about 60% throttle with full throttle only used for some aerobatics. Another point is the actual failure, it may have been caused by other circumstances such as a shorted wire or sharp edge on the stator that dug into the wire with use.

cooper998
cooper998 is offline Find More Posts by cooper998
Old Mar 02, 2007, 11:28 PM
Got lift?
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Joined Apr 2006
822 Posts
any other thoughts?