SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
View Poll Results: Would you use this Park?
Yes, I'm interested and would frequent the park. 31 79.49%
No, I'm not interested in a new Park. 0 0%
Undecided, but I might visit in the future. 8 20.51%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 01, 2007, 02:48 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,679 Posts
Poll
Attention Phx, AZ East Valley Flyers! Please vote!

This poll is for all that currently reside in the East Valley area of Phoenix, Arizona (Tempe, Mesa, Gilbert, Chandler, Higley, Queen Creek, Apache Junction). The club I'm President of is currently petitioning the Arizona DOT for dedicated use of the water retention bowl at the corner of Ellsworth Rd and the US60 freeway. This area is so large that we plan to create a full-fledged RC Park, which will allow use by planes, helis, cars and boats.

We are hoping to make this a dedicated, secured site, that would be under the administrative control of the Arizona WingNutz on the flying side, and possibly a car and boat club on those portions.

Part of our proposal to ADOT will be a statistic showing the potential number of users of the site. I have posted this poll on several RC related sites, so if you are a member of another site containing this poll, please vote on only one forum so that we can get an accurate count.

Thank you for your vote. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Pat Gagnon
President - Arizona WingNutz
crxmanpat is offline Find More Posts by crxmanpat
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 01, 2007, 02:56 PM
EDF all the way!
Gilbert, Az
Joined Jun 1999
8,041 Posts
Pat,
Good Luck!
Bob
bruff is offline Find More Posts by bruff
Old Mar 01, 2007, 02:57 PM
I'm all about that bass
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
15,307 Posts
Pat,

You might also see if your club is interested in holding contests/fly ins. If you could give the parks department some numbers on how many and what expected turn outs you would have (you can base that on other events) then you might get additional support from businesses (aka, the auto rental places, airports, hotels, restaraunts).

As an example, I fly RC sailplanes and a big glider contest like SWC (also in Arizona and one I someday hope to attend) might bring in 50 or so out of state folks, most of which would rent hotels and some would be flying in.

Now that I look at the contest results, that very event is held in Queen Creek! Interesting.

http://www.rcsoaring.com/scores/07caslopen.pdf

Ryan
rdwoebke is offline Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old Mar 01, 2007, 02:58 PM
AMA 667982 KG7NKY
Tucson, AZ, USA
Joined Sep 2000
2,023 Posts
Well I live in Tucson but I frequent PHX almost every week and fly where ever I can find an open lot usually by the office. Would you like to include me as I work close to that area and wold like to see more areas to fly my electrics in PHX.
starcad is online now Find More Posts by starcad
Old Mar 01, 2007, 03:42 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,679 Posts
Bob, thanks for the support!

Ryan, thanks for the suggestion, but we're trying to keep this as low-key as possible. Since the field's actually located down in a water retention basin (dips down into the ground about 40-50'), we don't have the infrastructure to support a lot of spectators or participants. Plus there's already plenty of events here throughout the year. The Arizona Electric Festival, which is held at the end of January each year, is rapidly becoming one of the largest electric-only events in the country (just ask Bob! ). But our club will most likely have fun-fly's from time to time. Nothing like a little competition between clubmates .

starcad, if this is someplace that you would frequent, then yes by all means please vote!

Pat
Old Mar 02, 2007, 12:00 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,679 Posts
Bumpity bump. I KNOW there are more AZ Phx EV flyers out there!

Pat
Old Mar 05, 2007, 10:14 PM
Joined Sep 2006
19 Posts
I live 5 min from there on signal butte. I would go to this park all the time. Sounds like a great idea.
Heatboxer is offline Find More Posts by Heatboxer
Old Mar 05, 2007, 10:51 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,679 Posts
Heatboxer,

Welcome to RCGroups! Thanks for checking in on the poll. The more interest we can show ADOT, the easier it will be to secure a use permit.

Feel free to stop by any weekend. We are currently flying there Saturday and Sunday mornings.
Old Mar 06, 2007, 07:50 AM
Joined Sep 2006
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxmanpat
Feel free to stop by any weekend. We are currently flying there Saturday and Sunday mornings.
I am "in-between" planes this week but I will be able to make it next weekend. Sounds like a good time.
Old Mar 07, 2007, 02:19 AM
Sydney Australia
Joined Mar 2005
924 Posts
A bit of a co incidence Pat, I'm the secretary of a club in Australia that has just started using a flood basin. Looking for a sister club? - John.
Boomerang1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomerang1
Old Mar 13, 2007, 11:58 PM
Joined Mar 2007
778 Posts
Hey, i am at power/university.. I fly a slow stick, and am working on a 3d plane.. I have been flying for over 10 years off and on. I would love to join you guys from time to time.
adbradley is offline Find More Posts by adbradley
Old Mar 14, 2007, 12:05 AM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,679 Posts
adbradley,

Thanks for checking in. Come on out anytime and check us out.

EDIT - Your account is now activated.

Pat
Old Mar 14, 2007, 03:58 PM
Joined Sep 2006
19 Posts
I want to get down on some flying next week, where do you guys fly on weekends?
Old Mar 15, 2007, 11:27 AM
Joined Mar 2007
778 Posts
since i fly a slow stick, i just fly at any park around that has a soccer field, thats plenty of room. There is a park on 64th st and adobe in mesa
adbradley is offline Find More Posts by adbradley
Old Mar 15, 2007, 06:52 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,679 Posts
Heatboxer, Ellsworth and the US60, in between Lowes and the freeway. We are there both days every weekend. I'm currently on vacation in Florida, so I won't be there the next 2 weekends, but other flyers will be.

adbradley, be careful of where you fly in Mesa. All official city parks are off limits to RC (all kinds). The park rangers will cite you if you are in a city park.

Pat