HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 01, 2007, 01:40 PM
Trex 600E 8S, MSH Protos
Joined Mar 2004
111 Posts
Discussion
RC-Tek's Diablo and Heli Warehouse's Phoenix

Well, Scott from RC-Tek closed his thread just when IMO it was getting interesting. I see no reason this topic couldn't be discussed to those who are interested on a thread that's NOT vendor controlled and not shut-down when the vendor doesn't like the discussion. If you're not interested in this aspect of the market please put this thread on ignore. No attacks on vendors will be tolerated and no attacks from vendors will be tolerated.

In a nutshell both RC-Tek and a new company Heli Warehouse are putting out new mini helis that are very similar, and pretty much exactly the same in many areas. Attached are pics of both the Diablo and Heli Warehouse's Phoenix. They are undoubtedly from the same Contract Manufacturer. What's interesting is the mini-heli market has gotten to the point where a small company can put out there own brand of mini-heli from a CM - with some leeway on their own design changes (just like the PC laptop market for example where one Contract Manufacturer/Design house makes most laptops from major brands).

It's possible we will see more helis from other companys based on the same common platform as the ones you see here. If the quality is there, and the price right - this can only be good news for the rest of us who want a high-quality CNC helicopter.
moshen is online now Find More Posts by moshen
Last edited by moshen; Mar 01, 2007 at 01:47 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 01, 2007, 01:44 PM
T-REX450SE T-REX600CF
Breckenridge, CO
Joined Nov 2006
912 Posts
I like the look of the Phoenix. I am a bigger fan of the underslung flybar design. I like the looks of the stabilizer fins on the Phoenix...pretty cool.

The red metal on both of them is awesome looking though. Keep the reviews and opinions comming as I might decide to pick one of these up eventually.
MartyWakat is offline Find More Posts by MartyWakat
Old Mar 01, 2007, 02:30 PM
farmington, mn
Joined Sep 2003
870 Posts
why do you think they are similar l, different head, different frame, different fins? Plus scott has said it isn't his and when are the mods just going to shut down these theads about scott bashing. there getting old. instead of opening a vendor forum for scott maybe these should go in a vendor complaint forum
jeff262 is offline Find More Posts by jeff262
Old Mar 01, 2007, 02:41 PM
Trex 600E 8S, MSH Protos
Joined Mar 2004
111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff262
why do you think they are similar l, different head, different frame, different fins? Plus scott has said it isn't his and when are the mods just going to shut down these theads about scott bashing. there getting old. instead of opening a vendor forum for scott maybe these should go in a vendor complaint forum
I wouldn't be surprised at all if a new heli with the exact same head comes out from someone else - but again from the same original CM. No Scott bashing will go on here. We are talking about RC-Tek's Diablo and Heli Warehouse's Phoenix helicopters. Not Scott! If you aren't interested in this aspect of the heli segment, just put this thread on ignore!
Last edited by moshen; Mar 01, 2007 at 02:47 PM.
Old Mar 01, 2007, 02:45 PM
Renewed interest
Melbourne , Australia
Joined Jun 2002
8,950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff262
.....when are the mods just going to shut down these theads about scott bashing.....

So far from what i have read there is no bashing going on. The topic seems reasonable does it not. We as heli consumers have every right to know the availability of similar machines and maybe even the origin of some.
ozace is offline Find More Posts by ozace
Old Mar 01, 2007, 02:52 PM
Everything flies....
So Cal
Joined Oct 2003
1,418 Posts
The real key to these heli's will be the parts quality, Helidirect and xmseller also sell "generic" trex's and they have not had such a good reputation in the past, and price. It would be great to order a red head ( ) and tail to throw on your well worn Trex to be different, freshen it up and save some money, these would also make a great inexpensive second Heli to the new Trex V2. The price needs to be there for that though and since you can get Trex SE V1's in the mid $300 range these should really be under $300.
PlasticHead is offline Find More Posts by PlasticHead
Old Mar 01, 2007, 03:31 PM
MS
Joined Jul 2005
245 Posts
I have to agree with Moshen on this one. You would be surprised on how many items are produced/sold this way. A CM produces a item and allows other vendors to rebadge/label distribute their product often with slight cosmetic modifications to meet that specific vendor needs. Give it some time we will see this rc-tek only overslung head start popping up elsewhere just about the same time.

Dont get me wrong, Im all for having different options and maybe saving a few bucks along the way.

Just my 2 pesos other opinions may vary

mj147
mj147 is offline Find More Posts by mj147
Old Mar 01, 2007, 03:52 PM
Trex 600E 8S, MSH Protos
Joined Mar 2004
111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasticHead
The real key to these heli's will be the parts quality, Helidirect and xmseller also sell "generic" trex's and they have not had such a good reputation in the past, and price. It would be great to order a red head ( ) and tail to throw on your well worn Trex to be different, freshen it up and save some money, these would also make a great inexpensive second Heli to the new Trex V2. The price needs to be there for that though and since you can get Trex SE V1's in the mid $300 range these should really be under $300.

Yes, all this is only good news for everyone into mini-helis. For those that fly a Trex like me, I can replace compatible parts with off-brand components that may have the same quality and be much cheaper. Or even better (wishful thinking), with higher tolerances and quality and the same price or slightly cheaper.
Old Mar 01, 2007, 05:45 PM
California
Joined Jun 2006
4,053 Posts
Yes, give it time and you will see without a doubt our company has 100% control over our products. Again, ALL these helicopters are coming from us or our resellers via our US or overseas distribution channels. RC-TEK is not as small as some people may think, but that is of no consequence at this stage in our global business plan.

This is a dead topic so I would appreciate it if the over analyzing would stop. There are distribution channel topics we will not discuss here due to contractual confidentiality agreements with numerous parties so this will be my only response.

Enjoy the high quality product and unmatched value...

Regards,
Scott
Scott_RC-TEK is offline Find More Posts by Scott_RC-TEK
Last edited by Scott_RC-TEK; Apr 27, 2008 at 12:31 AM. Reason: Reported for some reason 13+ months after the fact...
Old Mar 01, 2007, 06:21 PM
Joined Jan 2007
253 Posts
who asked you?
Ichigo is offline Find More Posts by Ichigo
Old Mar 01, 2007, 06:36 PM
Everything flies....
So Cal
Joined Oct 2003
1,418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_RC-TEK
This is a dead topic so I would appreciate it if the over analyzing would just stop. There are distribution channel topics we will not discuss here due to contractual confidentiality agreements with numerous parties so this will be my only response. No offense intended, but some people just need to find a real hobby.

Regards,
Scott

Scott,

This is an open RC forum and a thread started by one of the members to discuss helicopters, this is not a dead topic and we really don't need your input unless it is of a purely objective technical nature dealing with one of the helicopters we are discussing. Your demeaning comments about what people do with their hobby time is not helpful or needed, if you don't like your future products discussed in public forums then you should never have presented them in public in the first place.
PlasticHead is offline Find More Posts by PlasticHead
Old Mar 01, 2007, 06:39 PM
T-REX450SE T-REX600CF
Breckenridge, CO
Joined Nov 2006
912 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasticHead
Scott,

This is an open RC forum and a thread started by one of the members to discuss helicopters, this is not a dead topic and we really don't need your input unless it is of a purely objective technical nature dealing with one of the helicopters we are discussing. Your demeaning comments about what people do with their hobby time is not helpful or needed, if you don't like your future products discussed in public forums then you should never have presented them in public in the first place.
Thank god someone said it.
MartyWakat is offline Find More Posts by MartyWakat
Old Mar 01, 2007, 06:44 PM
spring,tx
Joined Aug 2006
444 Posts
yep
ashewb is offline Find More Posts by ashewb
Old Mar 01, 2007, 06:50 PM
/bin/ksh
USA, GA, Savannah
Joined Nov 2005
3,363 Posts
Good god Scott, and I supported the effort to better your product, feedback, ideas...
Steve_C is offline Find More Posts by Steve_C
Old Mar 01, 2007, 06:51 PM
Miami, Florida
Joined May 2004
728 Posts
This thread should be renamed... The Clone Wars

dum dum dum, dum di dum, dum di dum
GoRgOyL is offline Find More Posts by GoRgOyL