HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 05, 2002, 10:28 AM
Seattle, Washington
Joined Sep 2002
759 Posts
My EPU-6 (DX-A) Motor Died After 2 Weeks?

Is it normal for the EPU-6 motor to die so quickly? I flew every day for at least 30 minutes for 2 weeks...that's only 7 hours! Is this normal?

Do I need to "break-in" the EPU-6 before using?

Thanks for your help!
Manchild is offline Find More Posts by Manchild
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2002, 11:42 AM
Tee Sqaured
Langley, B.C, Canada
Joined Jun 2001
4,548 Posts
are you useing a heat sink? it realy depends on where you live too. if you live in a hot climat, then 7 hours might be normal.also, if your running more than 6 cells, they tend to where out faster. as for breaking them in, i don't know, my motor has about 15 hours of run time and she's fine.
Thomas Manson is offline Find More Posts by Thomas Manson
Old Oct 07, 2002, 12:59 PM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,935 Posts
Are you using a heat sink? How many cells?

Seven hours is kind of on the low end of what one would expect with these motors, but not totally unreasonable if it's running warm.
BEC is offline Find More Posts by BEC
Old Oct 07, 2002, 01:24 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
The GWS CEO stated that 7-8 hours is the normal lifespan of the little DX motors. Most people manage to get more than that out of them, but if you're flying for 30 minutes straight every time you fly you're letting the motor get pretty hot. You can extend the life of the motor of you let it cool off every 10 minutes by either landing or throttling way back in the air. Also as the others have mentioned you need to run a heat sink if you're not already. Especially for extended run times.
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Old Oct 07, 2002, 09:42 PM
Walled Lake, MI, USA
Joined Feb 2000
11,182 Posts
Tres, I recall him saying ~10 hours lifespan on average. But GWS is pretty conservative on their ratings, so I suspect that the average IPS motor probably lives a little longer than 10 hours. When you throw in all of the manufacturing variables and mix them in with different battery packs, flying styles, etc., it makes sense that some will only live a few hours while others will soldier on for an entire flying season.
Dave Hederich is offline Find More Posts by Dave Hederich
Old Oct 07, 2002, 10:01 PM
Dallas,TX
Joined Jul 2001
1,656 Posts
I think there is some variability in the little dx-a motors. For what it is worth, I put over 200 flights on one of my original black endcap dx-a motors.

My grey endcap motors seem to last about 100 flights but I burnt out one of the grey endcap motors in less than 50 flights. My average flight is between 5-8 minutes and I always have a heatsink on and wait a few minutes between flights. I also break my motors in by lubricating with an extremely fine synthetic lubricant designed for firearms.
mattk17 is offline Find More Posts by mattk17
Old Oct 07, 2002, 11:47 PM
Plane hugging cat
Mackay Queensland Australia
Joined Sep 2001
1,355 Posts
Just to muddle the BTBF of the IPS a little more I thought GWS stated 13 hours?

In reality there seems to be wild variations of motor life.

My first IPS has over 21 hours on it but the cell count I drive it on is between 5 and 6 lately.
Vonbaron is offline Find More Posts by Vonbaron