Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 05, 2002, 07:34 AM
Montreal St. Hilaire, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
168 Posts
Herr Fokker D-VII (24" Span) to r/c

I'm looking at the Fokker D-VII (24" Span) FreeFlight Rubber Kit to convert to electric R/C did somebody do this or do you think it would be possible to do. Any imput is welcome

thank you
Lutin is offline Find More Posts by Lutin
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2002, 08:35 AM
Over Engineered
Michigan
Joined Jul 2002
1,991 Posts
I tried to convert a Guillows Kit once. I was not successfull. I learned alot from it though. It can and has been done. I am not sure about the Herr designs. I do know that the Dare designs are simular and they have a 30" DVII already designed for Speed 400. Check out the link below.

http://www.darehobby.com/Laser-Cut%20Kits%20-%202.htm

They have quite a selection of electric aircraft at this site.

Hope this helps.
Robert Hoffman is offline Find More Posts by Robert Hoffman
Old Oct 06, 2002, 03:05 AM
Southern Okanagan, British Columbia.
Joined Aug 2002
116 Posts
Yeah, you should have no problem converting this. I have just finished a Nieuport 11 from Guillows, 24" w/s. This plane had to come in under 9 oz due to the smaller lift area of the narrow low wing.
The Fokker D- VII has 2 good sized wings, so as long as your auw remains around 10 oz, you should have a great plane.

Sgt Rock.
Sgt Rock is offline Find More Posts by Sgt Rock
Old Oct 06, 2002, 01:50 PM
Designing on the edge
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Mar 2001
1,513 Posts
Lutin,
I have built this model for display. I also have done several Rubber to Electric conversions. See my personal web site for details. I would rate this design as very favorable, I would go for a S280 with Horst 4:1 gearbox and 9x7 prop. 8x370mah nimhs. I would replace the wheels with better ones. The built up balsa ones in the kit probably will not take the stress of repeated landings. http://www.aerodromeRC.com has 1.75" wheels that will work.

I recall that someone has actually converted this kit and had a fantastic lozenge covering on it.http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ht=Herr+Fokker

Kurt
Bengtson is online now Find More Posts by Bengtson
Last edited by Bengtson; Oct 06, 2002 at 02:17 PM.