HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 28, 2007, 05:41 PM
Test your skills....fly IMAC!!
Swanton, Ohio
Joined Feb 2005
7,990 Posts
Discussion
3D Hobby Shop 46" Aspera

3D Hobby Shop is pleased to offer there all new 46" pattern/precision Aspera airplane. This thread was originally started here but after talking to Ben from 3DHS we felt it was more appropriate for this airplane and thread to be in the sports plane forum as this plane is NOT designed to be a 3D airplane. What the Aspera is designed for is precision pattern type flying. It is a terrific size parkflyer that tracks and grooves like a much larger airplane.

The Aspera comes with a full assortment of high quality parts and hardware and can be bought in several different convienent package combo's from 3D Hobby Shop. The light weight laser cut balsa and plywood come covered in a dazzling covering scheme that makes orientation a cinch. The Aspera's sole purpose is to perfect the skills of those pilots looking to hone there talents on something more than just 3D or sport aerobatic airplanes. The Aspera's will be available in March of 07' and Ben is currently taking pre-orders for them now.

Here are the specs. on the Aspera:

Wingspan: 46.5"
Length: 49"
Wing area: 398 sq.in.
RTF Weight: 43-47oz.
Wing loading: 15.5-17oz./ sq.ft.

Here is the list of recommended equipment:

Motor: Torque 2814-820 (or 400W motor)
ESC: Airboss Elite 45A
Servos: (4) HS-65HB or 65MG
Battery: 4s lipo 2100-2500 20C
Prop: APC 11 x 8E or 12 x 8E

This thread will also be used as a build thread as I have been given the opportunity to assemble and fly one of the pre-production Aspera's from 3DHS. I will be using the recommended equipment listed above for this build. Keep an eye out for build pictures and additional video's in the next couple of week's.

Thanks to Fred Midgett who just released a new "official" video on the Aspera. Great work Fred, the video looks awesome!!

Aspera Video

Build Videos done by IPSmotors:

3D Hobby Shop 46" Aspera V2 Build Video #1 (8 min 7 sec)

3D Hobby Shop 46" Aspera V2 Build Video #2 (6 min 1 sec)

3D Hobby Shop 46" Aspera V2 Build Video #3 (5 min 17 sec)

Tim
sun.flyer is offline Find More Posts by sun.flyer
Last edited by sun.flyer; Mar 16, 2009 at 09:53 AM. Reason: added build videos:
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 28, 2007, 11:22 PM
Durham NC
Joined Jul 2004
3,666 Posts
The official announcment about the official video. ;-)

OK, some of you figured out that there was an unofficial HPP video of the new 3DH Aspera at 3DHobbyShop.com. Now the "official" Aspera vid just posted at:

http://higherplaneproductions.com

Pilot Bob shows us his pattern roots and has a blast with this 46" pattern ship. He punches holes in the sky, long high-speed slow rolls 2 feet off the deck, and just about everything in between. This guy has nerves of steal! This ship files fine on 3s, but is an absolute ROCKET on a 4s lipo. The film is in HD if you watch the QuickTime version. PLEASE don't watch the small WMV version unless you have to. This one really rocks in HD.

And speaking of rockin'...more new music by The Distractions. Fresh too. Recorded on 2/12/07, this is a live unrehearsed jam. The first time me and "the boys" got to play in 2007 so we were ready to cut loose and Mike Ward was ON! Let's all hope Mike's "melody-spring" never runs dry. This one is especially nice in headphones. Be sure to turn up the volume before you hit play. ;-)

If you want to talk about the music, you can write Mike Ward at mwclone@gloryroad.net

If you want to talk about the video, just reply to me, fmidgett@higherplaneproductions.com

If you want to talk to Bob Richards about the Aspera, you can write to PilotBob@higherplaneproductions.com

If you want to get an Aspera for your very own, call Ben at 3DH. 830-990-6978. There isn't a nicer guy in this fine sport of ours. You can see more details on the Aspera here:

http://www.3dhobbyshop.com/detail.aspx?ID=1950

More new stuff next week. Until then...

Fly low. Roll tape.

Fred
fmidgett is offline Find More Posts by fmidgett
Site Sponsor
Last edited by fmidgett; Feb 28, 2007 at 11:30 PM.
Old Mar 03, 2007, 08:08 AM
Swanton, Ohio
Joined Feb 2005
7,990 Posts
Starting the build of the 3DHS Aspera:

I received my pre-production Aspera kit a couple of days ago and thought I would post some of my initial thoughts and pictures of the new pattern/precision airplane. As is customary with all of 3D Hobby Shop's planes the Aspera arrived in perfect condition thanks to the terrific packaging. The Aspera's color scheme looks fantastic and the covering was wrinkle free right out the box. The Aspera's fuselage is much more narrow then Ben's other planes but has plenty of room for your battery pack and radio equipment. The Aspera comes with a very complete and high quality assortment of hardware and your choice of setting the rudder up on pull-pull or with a direct linkage.

The hinges on the Aspera just like on the 3DHS Extra 300 SHP come pre-glued to the control surfaces and only require being ca'ed into there adjoining stab or wing. One interesting thing I noticed is that the horizontal stab and elevator can be hinged and glued together before inserting it into the fuselage. The Aspera has a pre-cut opening that allows the entire assemly to just slide into place and then be epoxied or ca'ed in place. The elevator does not use any type of joiner wire as the elevator is one solid piece of balsa. This will really speed up and simplify the assembly process with this step of the build. The fuselage comes with a pre-cut cooling hole which I thought was not only functional but a great idea as I am sure some people forget this step before they fly their planes.
Last edited by sun.flyer; Mar 03, 2007 at 08:27 AM.
Old Mar 03, 2007, 08:25 AM
Swanton, Ohio
Joined Feb 2005
7,990 Posts
Some people may say, "Why fly a pattern plane?" Why would 3D Hobby Shop want to produce a dedicated pattern/precision airplane in a time when 3D airplanes are the rave? Well I am sure Ben can answer this question better than I but let me try and explain what I see. While there is no doubt that flying 3D can be a challenging and rewarding type of flying and the skills needed to fly such maneuvers like harriers, blenders, torque rolls, and rolling harriers can be very demanding the skills needed for pattern flying present there own challenges as well. To me there is nothing more graceful then watching a pilot that can perform a straight line slow roll the full length of the field at 10ft off the deck. Pattern flying is much more then just flying a straight line, itís about making your plane perform precise maneuvers that start and finish at exact altitudes and attitudes.

The skill set and patienceís needed to perform precision flying can tax even the best of pilots and push them to there limits more so than 3D aerobatics. Take a look at most of the major flying events that we frequent such as the XFC, Tucson Shootout, Don Lowe Masters, and many of the indoor competitions which all combine precision flying (usually using the Aresti format) with the more common place 3D freestyle maneuvers. Why have they setup their events like this? Because precision flying takes alot of skill to perform correctly. The Aspera is one of those airplanes that anyone could practice precision maneuvers with the convenience of being able to do it in an affordable park flyer size model. The Aspera is not a hybrid airplane, but a dedicated pattern platform that is designed from the ground up to track like an arrow and yet slow down with gentle landings. I can't wait to get the Aspera up and flying.

Tim
Old Mar 03, 2007, 09:31 AM
United States, PA, Lancaster
Joined Jun 2003
24,141 Posts
Great pics, Tim! I get at least a couple of calls per day from people looking for a more pattern-ish electric aircraft. The Aspera will delight pattern guys who want a smaller practice airplane and it also makes a great sport plane.
blucor basher is offline Find More Posts by blucor basher
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 04, 2007, 04:28 PM
Swanton, Ohio
Joined Feb 2005
7,990 Posts
Build Progress:

I was able to work on the Aspera build yesterday as the weather here in NW OH is.... well pretty windy. The wings go to gether very easily and the HS-65's plop right into the servo bays. I really like the attention that Ben and the gang spent on ensuring the Aspera was going to be easy to see in the air. I don't think I will have any problems with orientation with the Aspera. While working on the wings I did notice that they will attach to the fuse a little different then my previous 3DHS airplanes. The wings do not use the standard thumb screw but instead use a small plywood insert that slide over the inside of the fuse and then is screwed down into place (more pictures coming to show this in detail). The Aspera uses a small hardwood dowel as the anti-rotation pin in each wing half. The wings sit on a nice carbon fiber wing tube which makes transport a snap.

The horizontal stab has the easiest setup I have ever seen in an balsa arf. No joiner wire to mess with, no carbon to laminate to the surfaces, and all using one elevator servo. Very simple, glue the ca hinges to the stab, slide the assembly in place, measure to ensure correct placement and glue. That's it!! Rudder setup was pretty standard and for a pattern plane it should provide plenty of throws for some nice KE flight.
Old Mar 04, 2007, 07:40 PM
Use the 4S Luke
USA, TX, Euless
Joined Aug 2003
9,341 Posts
Man I flew 6hrs today. Wish I had an Aspera though. Looks great Tim.
feathermerchant is offline Find More Posts by feathermerchant
Last edited by feathermerchant; Mar 09, 2007 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Can't spell
Old Mar 04, 2007, 08:03 PM
Swanton, Ohio
Joined Feb 2005
7,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by feathermerchant
Man I flew 6hrs today. Wish I had an Aspers though. Looks great Tim.
I studied for a college final today for 4hrs. I know not quite the same....o.k. not even close. I did see the sun today though.

Tim
Old Mar 04, 2007, 08:38 PM
Use the 4S Luke
USA, TX, Euless
Joined Aug 2003
9,341 Posts
Ohio State? Don't tell my wife.
Old Mar 04, 2007, 09:31 PM
Swanton, Ohio
Joined Feb 2005
7,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by feathermerchant
Ohio State? Don't tell my wife.
I wish, been there many times but I am just attending a local university.

Tim
Old Mar 04, 2007, 09:39 PM
Use the 4S Luke
USA, TX, Euless
Joined Aug 2003
9,341 Posts
Whew that was close.
Old Mar 04, 2007, 10:55 PM
Swanton, Ohio
Joined Feb 2005
7,990 Posts
More Pics:

I wanted to show the wing attachment method used on the Aspera. I think it is a great way to attach the wing. Of course it does mean you will have to bring at least one tool to the field if you want to remount the wings at the field. The wings mate perfectly with the fuselage sides with no gap to deal with. Another sweet feature used on the Aspera is the design of the carbon fiber landing gear. The landing gear has a beautiful flowing look to it which really looks great on this pattern/precision plane. The landing gear attaches inside the fuselage directly to the landing gear block. The block is made of very solid light weight plywood and should hold up quite well on the less than perfect landings. The Aspera also uses larger diameter landing gear axles then previous 3DHS arfs.

Tim
Last edited by sun.flyer; Mar 10, 2007 at 06:05 PM.
Old Mar 04, 2007, 11:05 PM
Swanton, Ohio
Joined Feb 2005
7,990 Posts
At different points when I am building airplanes I always like to put it all together to see what it will look like. The Aspera is just one sleek looking airplane that is just as pleasing to look at as it is to build. I used the new Hyperion 40mm spinner which looks great and matches the blue color on the Aspera almost perfectly. It is also .5oz. lighter than it's 2" Dubro counterpart. The only things left to do are mount the motor and cowl and install my esc and rx. I am planning on using a AR6000 with my new DX 7 for guidance in the new Aspera. Should be done by early this week and weather providing be ready for a maiden by late week.

Tim
Last edited by sun.flyer; Mar 05, 2007 at 08:48 AM.
Old Mar 05, 2007, 09:12 AM
Scott Stoops
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Mar 2002
8,411 Posts
Nice work, Tim. That is one pretty airplane.

Scott
sukhoi26mx is offline Find More Posts by sukhoi26mx
Old Mar 05, 2007, 09:41 AM
Swanton, Ohio
Joined Feb 2005
7,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi26mx
Nice work, Tim. That is one pretty airplane.

Scott
Thanks Scott, yeah it is just one of those planes that "just looks right".

Tim