HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 28, 2007, 04:52 PM
Kiss the Sky
Dorking, Surrey, UK
Joined Jul 2006
2,862 Posts
Discussion
Foam Spitfire from H-J Plan

I thought it might be a good idea to seperate the Spitfire builds from the P-51 mustang build thread. I will post H-J's plans shortly or they can be located in the Hans Joachim P-51 thread.

The following pics are a mixture of Han's and mine Spitfire build just to start the thread.
electriceye is offline Find More Posts by electriceye
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 01, 2007, 01:13 AM
Berkshire U.K.
Joined Oct 2006
574 Posts
I have started my spitfire, but have made it smaller to fit a 40mm spinner I had spare and a smaller motor.

I have built the wings the tradional method, but the fuse I have made from solid celotex wall insulation foam. I have no idea if this will be any good, but I have enough of this foam at work to make 1/1 scale spit so I thought why not. The foam is quite soft and I sanded it down with some fine paper and then covered in a skin of glass cloth and acrylic varnish.

I am hoping to hollow out today and fit motor.

Adrian your spit is looking good.

H-J thanks for starting us all off

Andrew
Andrew u.k. is online now Find More Posts by Andrew u.k.
Last edited by Andrew u.k.; Mar 01, 2007 at 01:30 AM. Reason: Added more pictures
Old Mar 01, 2007, 08:18 AM
Happy2ndChildhood
London Ontario
Joined Aug 2005
1,361 Posts
My progress so far. Gave up and removed machine guns from wings after the second time my sleeve caught and broke them.
Don McGill is offline Find More Posts by Don McGill
Old Mar 01, 2007, 02:43 PM
Kiss the Sky
Dorking, Surrey, UK
Joined Jul 2006
2,862 Posts
Both looking good-Those foam cannons are never going to last-if you look at H-J's first build he replaced them with what looks like dowels (H-J ?). The other Depron Spitire post I think mentions how these can dig into the ground on landing so whilst they look good, unless you are a really good pilot and sure you will always land nose up, I wouldn't bother as they will only surely catch and flip the Spit over or worse, tear out of the wings? Just my opinion.
Last edited by electriceye; Mar 01, 2007 at 03:39 PM.
Old Mar 01, 2007, 03:13 PM
Kiss the Sky
Dorking, Surrey, UK
Joined Jul 2006
2,862 Posts
Wings Skin

Here is the lower wing skin with C/F rod reinforced centre spar-I added a few wing ribs as I thought for the small addition in wieght it might help keep the wing profile and add a bit of strength as the 3mm seemed a bit flimsy to me, mind you this was without the added strength of the top skin which will make a big difference. I will see how it works out once I get the top skin on but I can't see the ribs doing anything but good? Keep your Spit pics coming in.

I have copied the plan files over to this Spitfire site but the way I posted the plans didn't work so I removed them-Can someone who knows either add the plans or a link to the page they are on? Thanks-
Last edited by electriceye; Mar 01, 2007 at 03:19 PM.
Old Mar 01, 2007, 03:51 PM
Berkshire U.K.
Joined Oct 2006
574 Posts
With the cannons, I have read about people using heat shrink and small rubber pipe. I think anything that's flexible would do.
Spits are looking good, looks like I am going to have to build a full size one after seeing those.
Hopefully taking P-51 up tomorrow morning, cross your fingers please.
Andrew
Old Mar 01, 2007, 05:13 PM
Kiss the Sky
Dorking, Surrey, UK
Joined Jul 2006
2,862 Posts
Wings

Now I have finished the wing skins I am a little concerned about the leading/traling edges. As only 3mm foam they seem a little soft or flexible-I am wondering about putting a balsa leaging and maybe trailing edge on? Poly and baby powder may help give it a little more stiffness also once the glue has cured it may help? Maybe glass the wing, cover in 1/32 balsa etc?. Perhaps it would have been better to use 6mm depron wing lower? Perhaps it will be ok? Just thinking aloud here.

Hans,
You used the same 3mm skins on both your P-51 & FW 190- Did you not find the wing edges a bit flexible? Or that this gave you any problems?

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has had any problems with l/e-t/e using the 3mm skinned wings?

P.s. Good idea about using a bit of heat shrink tube to make the cannon's mounting flexible-Got to be worth a try as they definately add to the looks imo.
Last edited by electriceye; Mar 01, 2007 at 05:23 PM.
Old Mar 02, 2007, 12:12 AM
Berkshire U.K.
Joined Oct 2006
574 Posts
Dr. pepper canopy looks fantastic. I still haven't got one for my P-51. Did you have to mould it or was that straight from the bottle?
She looks great.

Andrew
Old Mar 02, 2007, 12:32 AM
Happy2ndChildhood
London Ontario
Joined Aug 2005
1,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by electriceye
I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has had any problems with l/e-t/e using the 3mm skinned wings?
Once you seal the top to bottom skins you will not believe how rigid it becomes. My spitfire wing is rock solid as is, does not twist with even moderate pressure in hand. I am about to glass this wing, the average pilot won't need that, I am just "Don proofing" it. I have a lot to learn about building, but my building skills have definitely surpassed my flying skills. That was not hard to do, lol. As far as the l/e and t/e goes, they survived when I shattered the FW190 wing, and the wing was very easily repaired.
Don McGill is offline Find More Posts by Don McGill
Old Mar 02, 2007, 02:22 AM
Paris
Joined Nov 2006
41 Posts
Hello lakota,
my english is not perfect...what do you mean by "seal the wings ?"
thx
actjay is offline Find More Posts by actjay
Old Mar 02, 2007, 02:31 AM
Living a Dream
Winsen (Aller) Germany
Joined Oct 2003
4,140 Posts
Adrian, Don, you are fast and the Spits are looking great!!
The plastic bottle canopy is a good idea!
IŽll try to go the same way.

As Don said, donŽt care, the 3mm wing is rock solid!

Here is a link to the plans in LETTER FORMAT.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=348

and here is a link to a full size plan
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=137

IŽll mount the new park 480 motor in my 141% F-16 this weekend,
so there are no Spitfire News from here at this moment.

Andrew, you always go a different way.

HJ

EDIT: here are the plans in A4 FORMAT
and links to some flight VIDEOS
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=109
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719243
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=127

aerophiliaŽs Spitfire:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=760128

rotorheidŽs Spitfire:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=gmqO5L4e31s
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Bo4FyD_UB9s
Hans-Joachim is offline Find More Posts by Hans-Joachim
Last edited by Hans-Joachim; Feb 28, 2009 at 07:23 AM.
Old Mar 02, 2007, 02:43 AM
Living a Dream
Winsen (Aller) Germany
Joined Oct 2003
4,140 Posts
Good morning actjay,

IŽve just read your pm. The F-4U Corsair wing will be a challenge!

Don said, that there is no more flexing in the wing, when top and bottom are glued together.

HJ
Old Mar 02, 2007, 06:24 AM
Paris
Joined Nov 2006
41 Posts
Hello HJ,
that's why i ask to you

in fact it's not "Classic" F4U... this one seem to have a "longer" nose and a different canopy... he's a bit different and that's why i found it very interesting.
for the W wing, maybe it's gonna be necessary to build the W with Balsa or ply on each side of 6mm depron. Maybe 3 parts 1 for the center or the W and one for each wing extremities.
actjay is offline Find More Posts by actjay
Old Mar 02, 2007, 01:38 PM
Kiss the Sky
Dorking, Surrey, UK
Joined Jul 2006
2,862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans-Joachim
Adrian, Don, you are fast and the Spits are looking great!!
The plastic bottle canopy is a good idea!
IŽll try to go the same way.

As Don said, donŽt care, the 3mm wing is rock solid!

Here is a link to the plans.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=348

IŽll mount the new park 480 motor in my 141% F-16 this weekend,
so there are no Spitfire News from here at this moment.

Andrew, you always go a different way.

HJ
Please tells us how your 141% F-16 goes with this motor? Back to Spit topic: Yes the wings are a lot more firm 24 hrs later-I'm still tempted to 'Don proof' it. I'll see.

One more thing, although I have stayed absolutely to the plans there seems to be very little Dihedral on the wings. I know a Spit shouldn't have much but the top skin appears nearly flat, looking trailing edge on of course.? It is difficult to tell but the pictures of all Hans's WWII warbirds seem to have little or no diherdral, but from all reports they fly great? Just wondering because if it needs a little more dihedral I'd rather do it now (although it would be a pain as I'd have to cut into the wing/and C/f rod). What do you think?

If you look at the front view you will see more dihedral than my Spit has, not sure if I'm worrying over nothing? Compared to the pusher jets or any flat wing foamie these foam warbirds have such a large wing area with a deep wing chord, I would have thought they would have almost glider like charactristics? A bit more Dihedral and we could all go slope soaring!!! Getting out of my depth here so I would appreciate any comments from someone with experience of these foamie warbirds (are you there Hans?)
Last edited by electriceye; Mar 02, 2007 at 01:43 PM.
Old Mar 02, 2007, 01:59 PM
Living a Dream
Winsen (Aller) Germany
Joined Oct 2003
4,140 Posts
Adrian, IŽm using straws for the machine guns in the wing.
"Burger King type" straws are good!
The wing loading is so low, that I do everything straight and symetricaly .

Don, the wing of your Spit is looking very nice!
Have you used 5min epoxy, to joint the parts?

Actjay, do you plan to build a 1/9 scale Corsair out of depron?

HJ