SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 04, 2002, 10:56 PM
Giddy up!
Woodridge, Illinois
Joined May 2000
4,478 Posts
Anyone order a DC-3 from Hobby Lobby?

I was debating getting one for a long time but decided I really don't need another unbuilt kit sitting in a box for a long time. Then HL puts it on sale for the phenominal price of $99. I went back & forth and decided to go for it. I'm glad I did, looks like they sold them all...

Anyone build and / or flying one?
Sal C is offline Find More Posts by Sal C
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2002, 11:14 PM
Motley crewmember
Melbourne,Fl
Joined Sep 2002
393 Posts
Good thread on it in here. I ordered it too, couldn't help myself.
Hope you post your results in here, I could use the help.:-)
R2800 is offline Find More Posts by R2800
Old Oct 05, 2002, 06:46 PM
Giddy up!
Woodridge, Illinois
Joined May 2000
4,478 Posts
It arrived already! Wow, talk about fast! I ordered it on Thursday and it came today (Saturday) via regular ground shipping.

The kit looks beautiful, the wing is absolutely superb craftsmanship. I hope it flies as good as it looks. I think this one just got bumped up to the top of the list for the winter build projects...
Old Oct 05, 2002, 08:29 PM
Motley crewmember
Melbourne,Fl
Joined Sep 2002
393 Posts
Yeah, mine too. FedEx must think Hobby Lobby is giving them away.
And I gotta' say, for the quality and the completeness, they are givin' 'em away at $99 and free shipping.
Really nice lookin' kit.
Old Oct 05, 2002, 10:10 PM
Giddy up!
Woodridge, Illinois
Joined May 2000
4,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by R2800
...and free shipping...
Free shipping? Did you get free shipping? I paid for standard ground ($6.99), doesn't really matter as you stated I think it's a steal at $99.
Old Oct 05, 2002, 10:48 PM
Motley crewmember
Melbourne,Fl
Joined Sep 2002
393 Posts
Yeah, surprised me. But I ordered Tuesday and I remember they had something about that earlier in the week.
Hey Sal ,did you notice the ad said "twin S400" and the manual says "twin 480". Although in the thread I read here the guy said it performed well with the 400s.
It seems pretty light to me but what do I know, my experience is with IC.
Old Oct 06, 2002, 09:23 AM
San Antonio, Tx
Joined Jul 2002
1,021 Posts
I didn't get the DC-3 but I did order the Bristol Beaufighter for $99. I think they are made by the same company? How are you guys planning on finishing it? Oracoat? (I have no idea what this is but it comes in the accessory kit I ordered with the plane).
SteveO is offline Find More Posts by SteveO
Old Oct 06, 2002, 10:55 AM
Giddy up!
Woodridge, Illinois
Joined May 2000
4,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by R2800
...did you notice the ad said "twin S400" and the manual says "twin 480". Although in the thread I read here the guy said it performed well with the 400s...
I read that. I'm planning on twin Mega's. If I'm going to put that kind of time in building this one I want something more than $8 motors powering it...

Steve,

The Beaufighter is made by the same company and it's a nice bird too. Since the fuse is fiberglass I'm sure I'll paint it but I'll probably go with Ultracote (Oracover) on the balsa parts (wings, tail feathers, etc.).
Old Oct 06, 2002, 12:08 PM
San Antonio, Tx
Joined Jul 2002
1,021 Posts
Do you paint the oracoat after it's applied or does it come in colors? I'm never build a kit of this nature before. Any secrets I should know?
SteveO is offline Find More Posts by SteveO
Old Oct 06, 2002, 04:19 PM
Giddy up!
Woodridge, Illinois
Joined May 2000
4,478 Posts
Ultracote or Oracover comes in different colors, you normally don't paint over it.
Old Oct 07, 2002, 12:34 PM
Williamsville, NY, USA
Joined Sep 2000
4,509 Posts
I also looked at the DC3 for a long while, deciding $200 was just too much for my pocket. Then HL decides to unload them at $99.

On a whim I ordered one of them, thinking if I didn't care for it I would put it on E-Bay or here.

It arrived Saturday. I am amazed at the quality of the F/G fuse. Not a blemish anywhere. And the one piece wing is a work of art as far as I'm concerned.

The instructions, what little there are, seem adequate.

The motor business (400 or 480) is no big deal. I'm guessing it will fly just fine on the twin S400's, faster with the 480's.

My only question concerns cutting the fuse to fit the tail plane. What is the best way to cut F/G?

BTW, HobbyLobby website indicates the DC3 is no longer carried. Must have sold them all.
Larry Dudeck is offline Find More Posts by Larry Dudeck
Old Oct 07, 2002, 10:41 PM
ὅπερ ἔδει δεῖξαι
Joined May 2000
3,339 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Larry Dudeck
My only question concerns cutting the fuse to fit the tail plane. What is the best way to cut F/G?
When I built the Beaufighter I found that a diamond cutting disk in the dremel cuts through the fiberglass like butter.

Other abrasive disks might also work but tend to be fragile. The diamond coated ones have a steel disk. I got a set of 5 with mandrel from Harbor freight tools for about $4 but I haven't been able to wear out the 1st one yet.

I got a 20 piece set of diamond coated burrs at the same time for about $2.50. These are useful for shaping the corners of the cutouts and holes for the pushrods, etc.
Gerald is offline Find More Posts by Gerald
Old Oct 08, 2002, 12:25 PM
Coeur dAlene, Idaho, USA
Joined Oct 2000
47 Posts
C-47 & Beaufighter retracts

I also ordered one of the Beaufighter kits from Hobby Lobby, but I have a question that would apply to both the C-47 and the Beaufighter since they both have similarly designed landing gear. Anyone have plans on installing retracts in theirs? The idea of this Beaufighter flying around "dirty" all the time seems a crime. All the small, lightweight retracts I've seen are the standard inward folding fighter type, not the dual leg "backward folding" type. I'd like to avoid designing my own. Also, my experience on larger IC models is that the mechanicals retracts need a 180 degree servo, of which no one makes tiny ones, which leads me to believe that we're talking some type of pneumatic setup here. As far as the added weight, I'm also willing to go to brushless motors to get the extra power to haul this stuff around. Any ideas on this?
copterb is offline Find More Posts by copterb
Old Oct 08, 2002, 01:07 PM
Scale Builder, RCAPA #29
Lansdale, PA
Joined Jan 2002
1,370 Posts
I built one a while back,...

and there was a lot of discussion about it here on the forum. If you search under my name, Rob Schaffer , you'll be able to pick those up pretty quick. I have some pics in the gallery as well.

After an incident with it one night, repairs have taken place and she is back flying again. Still straight and true. Take your time building, make certain to achieve the correct CG point, and you'll have a beautiful flyer.

Good luck and happy flying.
Rob Schaffer is offline Find More Posts by Rob Schaffer
Old Oct 10, 2002, 12:59 AM
NEWPORT BEACH, CA, USA
Joined Oct 2001
326 Posts
Whatever you do, build it as light as humanly possible. I have one for about a year now. It flies fast! Much faster than you want a scale DC-3 of this size to fly. But, it is a very beautiful bird, and I never have trouble drawing attention at the field with this bird.
Antaeus is offline Find More Posts by Antaeus