Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Feb 26, 2007, 03:57 PM
I'm off my medication...
Canberra, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
393 Posts
Discussion
Best Spitfire Parkflyer

Hi All,

Trying to gauge people's thoughts on what they think the best park flying spitfire is. Balsa/foam irrelevant. Value for money is important. Build time is of interest but probably not a deciding factor. Performance and handling are obviously important. Park flyer scale, so probably nothing beyond about a 50" wingspan. Undercarriage preferred to belly landings. Scale appearance is important. How the plane looks in the air is more important to me than how she looks static, but nice up close would be good too.

The two contenders I know of are the World Models Spitfire and PZ Spitfire, but I'm sure there are many many more out there. Do you have one? Are you happy with it? Good value for money etc?
_____________________________
ozrcboy
http://www.ozrcflying.com
ozrcboy is offline Find More Posts by ozrcboy
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 26, 2007, 03:59 PM
3DHS Junkie
800mZero's Avatar
Rhode Island
Joined Jun 2005
5,682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozrcboy
Hi All,

Trying to gauge people's thoughts on what they think the best park flying spitfire is. Balsa/foam irrelevant. Value for money is important. Build time is of interest but probably not a deciding factor. Performance and handling are obviously important. Park flyer scale, so probably nothing beyond about a 50" wingspan. Undercarriage preferred to belly landings. Scale appearance is important. How the plane looks in the air is more important to me than how she looks static, but nice up close would be good too.

The two contenders I know of are the World Models Spitfire and PZ Spitfire, but I'm sure there are many many more out there. Do you have one? Are you happy with it? Good value for money etc?
_____________________________
ozrcboy
http://www.ozrcflying.com
Wait a couple of months--have a feeling the alfa model spits is going to knock your socks off!

www.alfamodel.cz --carreid by hobby-lobby
800mZero is offline Find More Posts by 800mZero
Last edited by 800mZero; Feb 26, 2007 at 07:46 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2007, 05:19 PM
Registered User
Airplane boy's Avatar
Southern CA
Joined Dec 2005
277 Posts
I definately aggree with 800mZero
Airplane boy is offline Find More Posts by Airplane boy
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2007, 05:04 PM
RCMCConline com
Kev71H's Avatar
San Jose, California, United States
Joined Apr 2002
3,438 Posts
subscribe
Kev71H is online now Find More Posts by Kev71H
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 04, 2007, 06:23 AM
I'm off my medication...
Canberra, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
393 Posts
There must be more people that have opinions on parkflyer spitfires?

ozrcboy
http://www.ozrcflying.com
ozrcboy is offline Find More Posts by ozrcboy
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 04, 2007, 06:45 AM
Registered User
Mike Smart's Avatar
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jan 2000
3,030 Posts
Probably FSK at the moment, but as they say, wait for the Alfa

Mike
Mike Smart is offline Find More Posts by Mike Smart
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 04, 2007, 07:02 PM
Registered User
kahloq's Avatar
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
In order of value and looks:
1)Alfa Spitfire....great looking plane. Designed for retracts or can be belly landed. Easy to build. Available soon.
http://www.alfamodel.cz/movies/Spit_kola.wmv

2)FSK Spitfire....great looking plane. More highly detailed and polished then any other offering. More expensive by $20 comapred to the Alfa. Harder to build. Available now.
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/spit-fire.htm

3)Ripmax Spitfire(also HK Spitfire or Nitroplanes)...nice looking plane. Bigger then any other, but can fly slow or fast. Same basic price as an Alfa, but requires a larger motor and esc.
Ripmax version: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXLSN7&P=ML
HK or Nitromodels version(Link has the wingspan wrong. It is not 41", but rather 48".)
http://www.nitroplanes.com/sp4041nigasg.html

4)Parkzone Spitfire...decent looking plane, but not nearly is nice as the others. Somewhat larger then both the FSK and Alfa, but smaller then then the Ripmax.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=PKZ1700

5)GWS Spitfire...nice entry level spitfire. Decent looks, but not as detailed as any previously mentioned models without a lot of work. Easiest to repair.
http://epyaya.com/product_info.php?c...roducts_id=955

6)AK-models Spitfire...It looks ok and is cheap, but canopy and nose is not so scale looking. Flies decent.
http://ak-models.com/mm5/merchant.mv...ode=Fly-Models

7)There are others, but the above are the main parkflyer Spitfires. Anything from Guan LI should be avoided....they are direct copies of GWS with crappy motors and batteries.
kahloq is offline Find More Posts by kahloq
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 04, 2007, 07:18 PM
Registered User
alienx's Avatar
Union County, New Jersey
Joined Apr 2006
990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahloq
HK or Nitromodels version(Link has the wingspan wrong. It is not 41", but rather 48".)
http://www.nitroplanes.com/sp4041nigasg.html
What's the true AUW and what power system does this work with??

This plane keeps jumping into my path. Maybe I should buy one!?
alienx is offline Find More Posts by alienx
Last edited by alienx; Mar 04, 2007 at 07:25 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 05, 2007, 01:34 AM
Registered User
kahloq's Avatar
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahloq
HK or Nitromodels version(Link has the wingspan wrong. It is not 41", but rather 48".)
http://www.nitroplanes.com/sp4041nigasg.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by alienx
What's the true AUW and what power system does this work with??

This plane keeps jumping into my path. Maybe I should buy one!?
The Nitroplanes and Ripmax spitfire are almost identical to each other. The cowl on the Nitroplanes is better and it does come with the option for static landing gear(included in the box).
As far as power and weight. Any brushless motor equivalent to an E-flite Power 10 or Power 15.
I have the Ripmax version and I put an E-flite Power 15 in it, CC 60 amp esc, and 2 x TP 2100 3s in parrellel. AUW on mine is 45oz(Mine is a little heavy compared to a few others due to servos used). Flies real nice.
General weight range is about 38-46+oz depending on battery, motor, etc. A Power 10 is a little lighter, using say a 3700 size battery would also be lighter then 2 x 2100's of the same brand. However, these planes seem to need some nose weight anyway.
As a note, the Hyperion Spitfire is based off the same frame as the Ripmax and Nitroplanes. The difference is that the Hyperion has a fiberglass fuse and the front cowl area is affixed slightly different for battery access. However, all 3 could interchange the wings from any of the others as they are pretty much exactly the same with the exception that the Hyperion has been reinforced for retracts. They are all built at the same factory in China. Hyperion attempted to deny this link but eventually got around to saying something to the effect that they basically bought the rights to the Nitro plane(also called the HK spitfire) and thus the Hyperion is the newest version. They still deny any link to Ripmax, which is a little odd, since the Ripmax version has been in existence the longest. The Hyperion version is the heaviest and weights in over 60oz I think.
kahloq is offline Find More Posts by kahloq
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 05, 2007, 10:31 AM
Registered User
alienx's Avatar
Union County, New Jersey
Joined Apr 2006
990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahloq
The Nitroplanes and Ripmax spitfire are almost identical to each other. The cowl on the Nitroplanes is better and it does come with the option for static landing gear(included in the box).
As far as power and weight. Any brushless motor equivalent to an E-flite Power 10 or Power 15.
I have the Ripmax version and I put an E-flite Power 15 in it, CC 60 amp esc, and 2 x TP 2100 3s in parrellel. AUW on mine is 45oz(Mine is a little heavy compared to a few others due to servos used). Flies real nice.
General weight range is about 38-46+oz depending on battery, motor, etc. A Power 10 is a little lighter, using say a 3700 size battery would also be lighter then 2 x 2100's of the same brand. However, these planes seem to need some nose weight anyway.
As a note, the Hyperion Spitfire is based off the same frame as the Ripmax and Nitroplanes. The difference is that the Hyperion has a fiberglass fuse and the front cowl area is affixed slightly different for battery access. However, all 3 could interchange the wings from any of the others as they are pretty much exactly the same with the exception that the Hyperion has been reinforced for retracts. They are all built at the same factory in China. Hyperion attempted to deny this link but eventually got around to saying something to the effect that they basically bought the rights to the Nitro plane(also called the HK spitfire) and thus the Hyperion is the newest version. They still deny any link to Ripmax, which is a little odd, since the Ripmax version has been in existence the longest. The Hyperion version is the heaviest and weights in over 60oz I think.
Good information ...thanks! The site seems to be grossly inaccurate.

I have liked the Nitro version for a while and I guess it would be a good next step in a warbird. And the fact that they display it with no gear is comforting because I'll have to grass land it. I think I may pick one up.

I started my GWS Spit last night and am tearing through it. I learned a lot on the Corsair, and I hope to make this one a quick build.

But I really want a larger bird, so maybe it's time for the Nitromodels Spitfire!!
alienx is offline Find More Posts by alienx
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 05, 2007, 10:37 AM
Registered User
kahloq's Avatar
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
Sureflite makes one and is 50" but has been out of stock for awhile. The only one they have in stock currently is the FW190. The site says they are working on getting more, but no date as to when. they build up the same basic way as a GWS plane, just a lot larger.
kahloq is offline Find More Posts by kahloq
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 05, 2007, 11:01 AM
Registered User
alienx's Avatar
Union County, New Jersey
Joined Apr 2006
990 Posts
That plane looks good to me. I may be thinking of another brand, but I thought all the sureflite planes looked like that were wrapped in loose tape. Your's doesn't look that way though.
alienx is offline Find More Posts by alienx
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 05, 2007, 11:06 AM
RCMCConline com
Kev71H's Avatar
San Jose, California, United States
Joined Apr 2002
3,438 Posts
a link to "sureflight"?
Kev71H is online now Find More Posts by Kev71H
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 05, 2007, 11:18 AM
Registered User
kahloq's Avatar
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev71H
a link to "sureflight"?
www.sureflite.com
kahloq is offline Find More Posts by kahloq
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 08, 2007, 05:53 AM
http://www.aircraft-world
NipponDave's Avatar
American in Japan
Joined Mar 2001
2,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahloq
...[snip]As a note, the Hyperion Spitfire is based off the same frame as the Ripmax and Nitroplanes. The difference is that the Hyperion has a fiberglass fuse and the front cowl area is affixed slightly different for battery access. However, all 3 could interchange the wings from any of the others as they are pretty much exactly the same with the exception that the Hyperion has been reinforced for retracts. They are all built at the same factory in China. Hyperion attempted to deny this link but eventually got around to saying something to the effect that they basically bought the rights to the Nitro plane(also called the HK spitfire) and thus the Hyperion is the newest version. [snip]
I am making only one post to set the record straight, and am not going to engage in any back and forth here with "kahloq" (or anyone else) on this point.

Kahlog is uninformed about the production of Hyperion models (and has had this patiently explained in PM before). The Hyperion Spitfire is not produced in the same factory as the other brands mentioned. All Hyperion Balsa/Fiberglass ARF models are produced by our single factory, and we do not have any ties to Ripmax nor Nitroplanes, of any kind.

It is absurd to lump the Hyperion Spitfire in with Ripmax/Nitroplanes all-balsa models. If you have the Hyperion and either of the other two together and examine them carefully, you will find many, many differences in the Hyperion model - in construction, materials, dimensions, motor mounting system, integrated cowl/fuslage - and supplied components, such as scale CNC aluminum spinner, all-metal retacts, pre-cut and scale painted canopy, and the only Grey Nurse Spitfire color scheme in ARF worldwide...

Thank You,

David Radford
NipponDave is offline Find More Posts by NipponDave
Last edited by NipponDave; Mar 09, 2007 at 08:46 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
best aerobatic parkflyer? RC_AV8R_181 Parkflyers 46 Feb 17, 2003 08:25 AM
Whats the best aerobatic ParkFlyer? hoverkid87 Parkflyers 18 Dec 09, 2002 12:24 AM
Best Spitfire servo's suggestions KillerWatt Foamies (Kits) 0 May 13, 2002 12:52 AM
Spitfire parkflyer motor Daniel Mc Crae Foamies (Kits) 3 May 04, 2002 06:17 PM
Spitfire parkflyer motor Daniel Mc Crae Parkflyers 0 May 04, 2002 10:30 AM