HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 26, 2007, 03:46 PM
Joined Sep 2004
301 Posts
Question
Attaching 2.5mm Male Power Jack to PCB

Has anyone used the male power jack (PDF datasheet attached) and attached it directly to a PCB?

I thought that this would be a good part for my first delve into PCB making, but for the life of me, I can't figure out how to put it on a single layer PCB, unless I attach it from the underside of the board.

Anyone else use this part for a PCB? Experiences welcome.

TIA...Eric
ejaf is offline Find More Posts by ejaf
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 26, 2007, 03:55 PM
North East England UK
Joined Jan 2003
1,432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejaf
for the life of me, I can't figure out how to put it on a single layer PCB, unless I attach it from the underside of the board.

Anyone else use this part for a PCB? Experiences welcome.

TIA...Eric

I dont understand your problem here......(unless I'm completely stupid...Dont answer that! )

I've used similar sockets without issue...Mounted on the component side of a pcb, I made up the pcb footprint using Eagle pcb software...The slots needed for the connections I made by chain drilling along the copper and cleaned up using a thin file...other types I've used, I found the pin placement dimensions and cobbled something in Eagle...
Chippie is offline Find More Posts by Chippie
Old Feb 26, 2007, 04:08 PM
Joined Sep 2004
301 Posts
Chippie...I'm probably the dumb one here, not you...

If I make the pads, and drill the slots, and then place the component on the top side of the board, won't the pads be underneath the plastic housing, and therefore unreachable for soldering?
Old Feb 26, 2007, 04:19 PM
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejaf

If I make the pads, and drill the slots, and then place the component on the top side of the board, won't the pads be underneath the plastic housing, and therefore unreachable for soldering?
No because the track side on single sided boards for descrete components is generally on the bottom.

The oppisite is generally true for surface mounted devices that have pads that don't ho through the PCB.
Malc C is offline Find More Posts by Malc C
Old Feb 26, 2007, 04:23 PM
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,822 Posts
Eric,

What software are you using to make the board. If its Eagle, then simply uncheck the 1st layer (top track) so that when you route the board it will just route the bottom track layer.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 04:24 PM
Joined Sep 2004
301 Posts
Which means that I would have to etch a two sided board, correct?

That's what I'm trying to avoid. So I would have to mount this connector through the bottom of the board, in order to have the tabs come out on the top side, where all my soldering will take place. Sound right to you?

FYI...using expressPCB, but I don't think it's a software issue, unless you call my brain matter software.

Also, I am mixing SMD with this one discrete component.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 04:28 PM
"Simplify, then add lightness"
Raleigh,NC
Joined Nov 2000
2,701 Posts
Most single sided boards are for thru hole parts. The component side is generally called the top side, the leads of the components go through the board and are connected to pads and traces on the bottom (ie solder side) of the board.

If you are talking about a single sided home etched board for surface mount components, then you could either use surface mount jacks, or design the board so that the jacks and other thru hole components are on the opposite side from the surface mount components.

PS here is the same jack but for surface mount. http://www.cui.com/pdffiles/PJ-002BH-SMT.pdf
jeffs555 is offline Find More Posts by jeffs555
Last edited by jeffs555; Feb 26, 2007 at 04:35 PM.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 04:31 PM
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,822 Posts
Are you using surface monted components ?

If so then using the connector as its designed to be used on a hobby board that you are going to etch yourself will require modification (bending the legs out so you can solder to pads on the top of the PCB.

If you are using descrete components (traditional components with wires sticking out) then generally you should re-route the board with track on the bottom only, then drill the holes and pass the componts legs through from the top (component side) of the board and solder them to the pads on the bottom.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 04:38 PM
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,822 Posts
Eric, just noticed the added bit, so you are using a mix of both... I tend to stick with descrete (fading eyesight !) and have milited SMD experience.

In your case then Jeffs suggestion of designing the board so the thro hole components are on the opposite side of the SMD's would be your best option.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 04:40 PM
Joined Sep 2004
301 Posts
Got it...thanks. Think I'm just going to set the pads up on the top, and mount it from the bottom. Thought that was my best option.

Bought these before knowing what their exact usage was going to be, but also noticed the smd mounted part the Jeff mentions.

Thanks all...not as dumb as I thought...just a newb
Old Feb 26, 2007, 05:01 PM
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,822 Posts
Just watch for the orientaion as you wouldn't want to reverse the polarity which may happen if you simply turn the socket upside down and mount from below the board ?
Old Feb 26, 2007, 08:24 PM
Joined Sep 2004
301 Posts
understood...thanks