HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 26, 2007, 01:48 PM
Eye Drather Beef Lying
Jacksonville, FL
Joined Aug 2002
2,696 Posts
Discussion
Jesus' bones found in family tomb?

Since the subject of Hollywood 'documentaries' (or mock-umentaries, if you like) is popular right now, get a load of what's coming to Discovery Channel in a few days.

Jesus' bones found in family tomb in Jerusalem?

Whaddaya think? Oscar material?

Rick
ElectRick is offline Find More Posts by ElectRick
Old Feb 26, 2007, 01:55 PM
Tryin 2 get in2 slot cars
Viktoria, British Kolumbia, Kanada
Joined Feb 2005
410 Posts
I wish the bones could talk and tell everyone how much they missed the point and ask them to read "The Gospel according to Jesus"
jay flay tway is offline Find More Posts by jay flay tway
Old Feb 26, 2007, 02:09 PM
Radix malorum est cupiditas
Joined Jul 2000
460 Posts
I've seen other shows about this find, on Discovery channel I think.

Rather than a mockumentary, I would point out that in general -this and investigations of the like - are by and for believers. They seek to use science/archeology to support their faith.

In the larger secular archeological community, I believe the position at this point is that there is no archeological proof of the existance of the biblical Jesus at all.
radix2 is offline Find More Posts by radix2
Old Feb 26, 2007, 02:18 PM
Suspended Account
United States, UT, Salina
Joined Apr 2003
3,117 Posts
"the idea fails to hold up by archaeological standards but makes for profitable television."
again just a quote from the link.
Bilbobaker is offline Find More Posts by Bilbobaker
Old Feb 26, 2007, 03:00 PM
Beaumont tx
Joined Oct 2004
3,739 Posts
As with Mel Gibson's work on Jesus (and others going back to the silent days) religion sells --- believers want to have their ideas confirmed, skeptics need something to scoff at. Ironic that religion seems to sell better than sex -- of course, join the two, get DAVINCI CODE and make buckets!

howell
gwinhh is offline Find More Posts by gwinhh
Old Feb 26, 2007, 03:09 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,357 Posts
Two words...

Where's Geraldo?

mw
Mark Wood is online now Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Feb 26, 2007, 04:44 PM
supreme being of leisure
Tel Aviv, Israel
Joined Jul 2004
2,341 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by radix2

In the larger secular archeological community, I believe the position at this point is that there is no archeological proof of the existance of the biblical Jesus at all.

nope, the belief is that he did exist but just without all the hoopla that was created after his death. the question of this grave really being his is a whole nuther issue...pick any spot in this country, dig down a meter or so and you've got yourself some form of archaeological discovery and i'm betting there were plenty of others with the same name

dave
ZAGNUT is online now Find More Posts by ZAGNUT
Old Feb 26, 2007, 04:49 PM
Houston Intercont, Texas, United States
Joined Jun 2001
122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by radix2
I've seen other shows about this find, on Discovery channel I think.

Rather than a mockumentary, I would point out that in general -this and investigations of the like - are by and for believers. They seek to use science/archeology to support their faith.

In this case I don't believe it to be accurate. According to the Bible, Jesus was not buried in His families tomb, He was buried in Joseph of Aremithea's tomb. Also, since Christians believe that Jesus rose from the dead, there would be no body there. This was proved by the women that went to the tomb early in the morning, and didn't find a body there, just the grave clothes. I know many of you don't believe this, that is entirely up to you. But without the resurrection of Christ, there is no need of Christianity.
mikefast is online now Find More Posts by mikefast
Old Feb 26, 2007, 05:18 PM
Owns an Evil Black Rifle
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Dec 2005
1,038 Posts
The existence of remains kinda would poke a hole in the mystical tenets of his existence.....but the lessons he taught are still important.

Makes me wonder if the Templars will finally reveal their secret....
Twizter68 is offline Find More Posts by Twizter68
Old Feb 26, 2007, 05:18 PM
Central California
Joined Aug 2003
1,137 Posts
Along with note:

"Live long and prosper."
Ledbetter is offline Find More Posts by Ledbetter
Old Feb 26, 2007, 08:01 PM
Radix malorum est cupiditas
Joined Jul 2000
460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAGNUT
nope, the belief is that he did exist but just without all the hoopla that was created after his death. the question of this grave really being his is a whole nuther issue...pick any spot in this country, dig down a meter or so and you've got yourself some form of archaeological discovery and i'm betting there were plenty of others with the same name

dave
I said proof, you said belief. Secular archeology should be silent on belief.

let me be specific -

biblical Jesus = specific flesh and blood man chronicled
in the bible

archeological proof = artifact or contemporaneous writing linked directly to said man.

As you say, it is not terribly surprising if such proofs have not been found of a particular common man after 20 centuries. It would for some (hence these efforts) be a comfort should it be found. For most others, faith is sufficient.

When these efforts are made, they reflect the beliefs of the searchers - so for some, any tomb not Joseph of Aremithea's would be a negetive finding, for others less orthodox on this point, the question can be considered.
radix2 is offline Find More Posts by radix2
Old Feb 26, 2007, 10:23 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2002
1,034 Posts
Post removed in protest of RCG's pandering to left wing extremeists in the LTUP forum.
NCC-1701 is offline Find More Posts by NCC-1701
Last edited by NCC-1701; Apr 18, 2007 at 06:56 PM.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 07:15 AM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Wood
Two words...

Where's Geraldo?

mw
Right here.
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
Old Feb 27, 2007, 04:30 PM
Heli Bouncer
At the Discount Clambake
Joined Feb 2001
3,920 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Wood
Two words...

Where's Geraldo?

mw
For that matter, where's Gerald?
Looooeeee! is offline Find More Posts by Looooeeee!
Old Feb 27, 2007, 05:11 PM
Go get them Meg!
Cabin 21...
Joined Jan 2001
2,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAGNUT
.pick any spot in this country, dig down a meter or so and you've got yourself some form of archaeological discovery and i'm betting there were plenty of others with the same name

dave

The statistician that Cameron hired said that given the historical context and the popularity of the names, along with the relationships described on the ossuaries, the odds are 1 in 640 that this would be "the" Jesus of the Bible.

Of course that assumes he existed.
lrsudog is offline Find More Posts by lrsudog