HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 24, 2007, 02:28 AM
Joined Dec 2006
208 Posts
Discussion
a few more questions about my first build

okay everyone, i've almost gotten everything sources for my first motor project, but i still have a few questions about the actual building etc.

firstly, does anyone have a suggestion on wire gauge for winding the 40mm gobrushless stators? i've looked around and i cant find anything that helps me decide. if it helps, im looking for highest possible torque, especially in the low end, while still being able to spin the motor around 25000 rpm

secondly, how much power would be lost by not using a flux ring? so far my design has centered around using a lighter material (such as delrin or aluminum) to make the rotor, but how much of a problem is it to not have a magnetic material as the flux ring?

thanks again for any help. ill let you know about my project if you need to know i guess (it isnt aircraft related, but its gonna fly anyway )
bryguy17 is offline Find More Posts by bryguy17
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 24, 2007, 03:27 PM
homo ludens modellisticus
The Netherlands, GE, Nijmegen
Joined Feb 2001
10,870 Posts
First you figure out the number of winds you need to get the Kv (rpm/Volt) you want. Then you use the thickest wire possible. Wire size only effects efficiency (if wire size is too thin all bets are off anyway off course) and motor stiffness (ability to hold rpm under load).

This design will hardly (if at all) work without a flux ring, it's designed with the benefits of a flux ring in mind (higher flux). Without a flux ring you would need a slotless/ironless design, a different beast.
The flux ring has to be iron. Not aluminium, copper, glas, plastic, gold, delrin, resin, wood, carbon, kevlar, not stainless steel either. They all behave like air as far as magnetism is concerned. Motor won't fly with these materials.

Read the stick 'cd-rom tips' in this subforum, especially Brian Mulders articles mentioned in the first message, will save you a lot of questions, and some errors too.

Vriendelijke groeten Ron van Sommeren
Ron van Sommeren is offline Find More Posts by Ron van Sommeren