SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 23, 2007, 12:07 PM
RC Airplane Crasher
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2007
930 Posts
Discussion
Want a plane to fly in small spaces!

I have been flying a little while, not much, but I have some experience now. I have been flying a Hobbyzone Super Cub and it's pretty easy. I have also trained a lot on the Realflight simulator with aileron planes. I actually feel more comfortable flying a plane with ailerons because you can control the plane better.

ANYWAY... I find that I don't have time to fly in my day-to-day life and even on the weekends, I often don't have time to go somewhere with enough room to fly my Super Cub.

I want to get a small, slow-flying airplane that I can put a brushless motor on, that will be able to take off with very little space, and can go vertical, a plane I can just fly around and land in a small area like a back yard.

What I had in mind was something light weight, slow, but small, even a slow stick is kind of bigger than what I had in mind. I want the plane to have AILERONS!!! for sure. I want the plane to be maneuverable so I don't crash into trees and such.

I want something where I can use micro servos, a 10 to 18 amp ESC, and a small brushless motor. Something small and light weight that I can take anywhere and fly anywhere, except I realize wind will be a problem. That's OK, we hardly ever have windy days here. It is usually calm.

So, what would you suggest? I want small, stable, slow, BUT maneuverable, with ailerons and rudder, so we're talking a 4 channel plane here. Affordable is also a plus, but it doesn't have to be cheap, per se. Durable is good too, I kind of had EPP in mind, probably not balsa.

Any suggestions? Like maybe, a small EPP biplane or something? Please help me, I am new to the selection of planes out there.

I really need this plane for stress relief so that when I'm really stressed I can go in the yard and fly my plane a while!!!
Hellbore is offline Find More Posts by Hellbore
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2007, 12:33 PM
4 8 15 16 23 42
Syracuse, NY
Joined May 2005
1,616 Posts
Check out the slofly planes. EPP, durable, light, and very maneuverable.

http://slofly.com/cart/index.php?cPa...7dba315f7a49cd

Oh, and cheap
Hugequark is offline Find More Posts by Hugequark
Old Feb 23, 2007, 12:48 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,322 Posts
IFO

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Feb 23, 2007, 01:36 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Cobweb, Slow Jazz..
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Feb 23, 2007, 01:44 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,579 Posts
Flying a small plane, slow in a small place is probably going to be a 3D plane. I fly a couple different EPP planes right in the street in front of my house. They have to turn tight or else! I don't use rudder, because it adds weight and I'd hardly ever use it.
My Boomer's will fly into and out of a 2 car garage, after a couple trys! Ha! Ha!
Plus fly in a good wind and go vertical to a dot in a few seconds and they cheap to build. I built a 2.5oz 18" Boomer, but its not as slow as the 31" 6.5oz one. So I'm building a 25" 2oz Boomer at this time. Check out these threads. Butch

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=586942

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hlight=sportyt
Butch777 is online now Find More Posts by Butch777
Old Feb 23, 2007, 02:01 PM
RC Airplane Crasher
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2007
930 Posts
I don't have time with school and work to build anything, I need something that is ARF. Those boomers look really cool though.

EDIT: Wow this stuff is expensive, far more expensive than my Super Cub. That surprises me. I can probably afford it though in the near future. I'm not crazy about the IFO and Cobweb type planes though, I like the Slofly EPP foam planes better.
Last edited by Hellbore; Feb 23, 2007 at 02:12 PM.
Old Feb 23, 2007, 02:59 PM
pray for our troops
Farmington Hills, MI
Joined Jul 2005
959 Posts
I know that it doesn't fit all of your requirements (like being 4 channel, using brushless or needing a 10-20amp esc) but I think you should really be made aware of the Diddlebug from Stevens Aeromodeling. It's an inexpensive laser cut kit (fast building) that uses a brushed LPS motor a small Lipo and a 2-5amp esc. It's a great flyer and lots of fun.
http://www.stevensaero.com/shop/prod...cat=256&page=1
pac ace is offline Find More Posts by pac ace
Old Feb 23, 2007, 04:43 PM
Balsa to the Wall
Deep in the East Texas Piney Woods
Joined Dec 2001
4,555 Posts
Here's what you want - Superflea from Superfly.

It may not look exactly like what you have in mind, but it will do exactly what you want it for.

http://www.superflyrc.com/SuperFlea/superflea.htm
Chuck is offline Find More Posts by Chuck
Old Feb 23, 2007, 05:44 PM
Obsessed
Orlando, FL
Joined Dec 2006
41 Posts
I fly my Carbon Falcon in the front yard with no issues. It's pretty much a portable lightweight flying wing.

Mine is set up with a Park 300 Brushless motor, Thunderbird 9 ESC and a 3s 1300Ma Lipo on an APC 7 x 6 slofly prop. It's more juice than it will ever need. If you go with a GWS brushed setup it's much cheaper.

The initial cost is a little much ($149 for the model + electronics) but you get so much "take anywhere" fun it's well worth it IMHO.

With proper setup, tight turns are no issue. Inverted flight etc... all achievable.

Check it out at http://www.acesim.com/rc/p2/p2.html
Spin Demon is offline Find More Posts by Spin Demon
Old Feb 23, 2007, 05:53 PM
Joined Feb 2007
345 Posts
Check this out:

RC Bug

I was at the WRAM show in NY and talked at length to these folks - I will be doing a review on AmpAviators starting with build photos and then flying.

I am always interested in planes that will not explode into toothpicks with the inevitable "close encounters of the ground kind", and this is so light and flexible that it seems to meet the specs you laid out.

According to the builder, it will fly in winds up to 30 mph - I can't verify that, but if it's OK in anything under 10 mph and is as tough as claimed, sounds like a winner to me.

I also have the Super Cub and think this would make a nice additional plane.
CitaFly is offline Find More Posts by CitaFly
Old Feb 24, 2007, 12:02 AM
RC Airplane Crasher
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2007
930 Posts
Thank you guys for your advice.

However, I may have done something silly. Before I read all these suggestions, I went and ordered a bunch of RC equipment from this Hong Kong online store. This is what I bought:

BRUSHLESS MOTOR A20-34S with 9" Propeller (reccommends 10A ESC)
12A ESC for brushless motors
6ch FM72MHz Radio TX and RX with crystal set
4.5g Micro Servos (3 of them)
Li-Po Battery 11.1V 1300 mAh

So basically... Knowing the kind of plane I'm looking for, can you guys make suggestions of what planes this motor, esc, and servos would work well in? I know some of the planes you suggested are designed for a smaller motor than the one I ordered. I'm guessing the parts I ordered would work on something like a Slow Stick, but I want other ideas.

The specs of this motor are:
1500 KV RPM/V
Dimensions: 28mm x 22mm
Shaft: 3.175mm x 12mm
Weight: 29 grams
Working current: 2 to 6 amps
Max amps: 8 amps
Operating range: 7.4 volts
Reccommended ESC: 10A ESC

OK so first of all I see I ordered the wrong battery, I should have ordered a 2 cell, this motor is rated for 7.4 volts NOT 11 volts.

Other than that... I can get a different battery locally... Please help me select a good indoor / park plane with ailerons that these parts would work for!

Sorry I'm such a noob but I'm still learning this stuff..

As for that battery, don't worry I will find a good use for it anyway, my Dad is building a slow stick and if not that, it will work in my Typhoon (which I haven't got up the courage to fly yet).
Pic:
Old Feb 24, 2007, 12:39 AM
Better luck next time!!
Troy, NY
Joined Dec 2005
56 Posts
yup the bug will fly in just about anything... including that glorified living room of a flight area we had today. ive never flown in that small of an area before. i think i did alright. i was flying a bug and my friend nick from northeast sailplanes was flying the other. hes only flown the bug a few times and made me look like im the noob but we had a ball!!!! i forgot to put the screws in the servo horns yesterday if it wasnt for that i would never of had to even pick it up. umm... sorry for the mistypes its 1:30am. here i have video of the demo's and will be posting it in this fourm http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=623073
stirfri4202 is offline Find More Posts by stirfri4202
Old Feb 24, 2007, 07:38 AM
pray for our troops
Farmington Hills, MI
Joined Jul 2005
959 Posts
I'm really not sure why a 1500 Kv motor wouldn't work with a 3 cell Lipo. This looks like a pretty good setup but I'm wondering about the torque rating of those small 4.5 g servos and if they would be able to handle a more aerobatic plane that your looking for. You might want to check on that.

Some software that would help to verify your system with a 3 cell can be found here: http://flbeagle.rchomepage.com/

It will definitely help you to choose a prop for your system so you can stay with that 8 amp recommendation that the motor manufacturer recommends. It will also give you an idea of what kind of performance to expect from whatever plane you choose with your given setup (and it's free).

Rob

Ooops, just saw that the 3cell is 1300 Mah. That might be a bit heavy for a small model. Just a thought.
pac ace is offline Find More Posts by pac ace
Last edited by pac ace; Feb 24, 2007 at 08:56 AM.
Old Feb 24, 2007, 11:58 AM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,301 Posts
You could scratch build a Gym-E or a Gym Swallow..

Jeff
www.CommonSenseRC.com
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Old Feb 24, 2007, 02:04 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,579 Posts
Oh! That outrunner will work perfect on one of my Boomers! But it would do better on a smaller batt, but would be ok with that one. Butch
Butch777 is online now Find More Posts by Butch777