SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 23, 2007, 08:53 AM
RC LIFER
santa rosa California
Joined Aug 2005
2,008 Posts
Discussion
Help me ID this engine Picco Pylon

I picked this engine up along with a bunch of control line stuff at a swap meet a couple years ago. It is a Picco Pylon engine I think.
The box says "Pylon 40". It originally came as a rear venturi intake/rear exhaust, set up for being in the nose of a plane.
I sent it away to have it converted to Marine use, but that only got halfway done so I had him send it back, the configuration of the crankcase allows the switching of the exhaust direction.

Put back in the right direction, what would this engine go on? It's a heavy rotory valve engine.

It appears to be a very high performance looking engine, but it also is Big for a 40 (if that's what it it). I was also told it was a 45

It is ABC, no rings, and has a separate head button, all signs of being Nice.
Mike the Snake is offline Find More Posts by Mike the Snake
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2007, 02:16 PM
Elyria, Ohio
Joined Sep 2004
734 Posts
Snake

Looks like a F.A.I. Pylon engine . Could be used for rat race , carrier , and .40 size speed events . If it's Italian ( and I think it is ) the engine might not like a lot of nitro in it"s fuel . Shame to waste it in a boat , I'm sure some collector would like to have it in his collection . Last one I seen was about 20 years and was front rotor R/C version .

Mike 1484
Mike1484 is offline Find More Posts by Mike1484
Old Feb 24, 2007, 06:46 AM
Adelaide, South Australia
Joined Sep 2003
3,083 Posts
If you go to http://www.mh-aerotools.de/airfoils/...F3DEnginePicco
you'll find the Picco P40 Pylon engine which has similarities to yours. There are detail differences so I don't know which came first.

Although the removeable front end does allow for the exhaust to be at the front or rear it's usually not as simple as that because the conrod normally has to go on the crankshaft in one way. At a minimum this requires the rod and piston to be rotated 180 but it's possible the piston itself can only go in one way to match any porting or cutaways. If that's so then the rod would have to be removed from the piston to turn it around. It's all in the details .

With a job that's only half done, who knows what state things are in?
downunder is online now Find More Posts by downunder
Old Feb 24, 2007, 08:18 AM
RC LIFER
santa rosa California
Joined Aug 2005
2,008 Posts
Well, it's only a matter of a few minutes to put it all back, it's not rocket science.

The engine when I got it was in "airplane" form, it was switched around by Andy Brown, if there is ANYONE in this world that would know how to properly switch the direction it's him for sure. All he did was switch the crank around and add a marine flywheel, I intend to switch it back with no issues.

The state of the engine is that it is brand new, and still all there, albeit shuffled around a bit.

I'm just wondering what the application was, and whether this thing is worth using, or selling, or keeping as a collectable.

Thanks for the link by the way, that IS the engine I have.
Seems it IS a screamer. maybe I'll make a fast plane for it.
Mike the Snake is offline Find More Posts by Mike the Snake
Old Mar 12, 2007, 01:46 PM
And You're Not
Timbuktu, Mali (Happy?)
Joined Oct 2002
6,514 Posts
So what's the OPS Speed engine in the red box?

And the Picco is a fine engine, yours looks a lot like the Picco ducted fan 45, just needs a carb.
Jeffery is offline Find More Posts by Jeffery
Old May 09, 2009, 08:21 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, QC, Quebec City
Joined Sep 2006
5,762 Posts
Look like a PICCO from the mid 80's, a fine engine. I have several (21,45 and 80)in marine version and in their time where the Top along with Rossi's and OPS for boats. The one like your was made in 40 and 45 size (40's used in Europe and 45's in North America with NAMBA and IMPBA B-class). The same motor was also made in pylon and ducted fan versions, the one sold in Europe had a very high compression ratio and run on low or even FAI fuel very well. The model sold here had a slightly larger button head shape and with a narrow squish band to use high nitro fuel(up to 60% with the 21's and well into 40% with the 45's with no ill effect). They where very strongly build,even overbuild for plane use but in boat they held on very well despite the abuse. K&B of the same periode where known for breaking easily (crankshaft,conrod or even crankcase) in surface drive applications
coriolan is online now Find More Posts by coriolan
Old May 10, 2009, 09:37 AM
B'ham UK
Joined Oct 2005
2,990 Posts
You have your engine make - it may have been intended for use in a high speed hyroplane, air cooled.

My mate has an OPS FIRE speed motor and the scream is chilling as the revs just rise and rise.
Airboatflyingshp is offline Find More Posts by Airboatflyingshp
Old May 10, 2009, 06:10 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, QC, Quebec City
Joined Sep 2006
5,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboatflyingshp
You have your engine make - it may have been intended for use in a high speed hyroplane, air cooled.

My mate has an OPS FIRE speed motor and the scream is chilling as the revs just rise and rise.
Air cooling would not do on a 45's in an hydroplane hull. After a 3 min run with these (NAMBA circuit) even the pipe exposed to air flow along its full length would be sizzling hot. 21's size engine need less cooling(actually it is possible to over cool them with too much water flow),but as the displacement increase the relative engine surface vs displacement decrease. That's why 1/2A engines run poorly on low nitro and large displacement require more cooling and can't really use high nitro fuel. Specially in hydroplane which have to be kept on step the whole time trottling down in the turn is only easing a bit on the speed to keep that prop from submerging.
ABC type engines needs a relatively high running temperature to keep their proper fit, too cold will damage the piston too hot will only blow the silicone coupler between the pipe and header They only last a few run anyway! OPS,PICCO and ROSSI where really king of the water back then
Old May 13, 2009, 08:40 AM
Gary James
Weatherford, TX
Joined Feb 2006
266 Posts
I see from the groove in the crankshaft that the engine in intended to be started via a "belt" and not via a spinner which implies a buried installation. Since it doesn't have a water-cooled head, that implies that it's not a marine engine. That leaves aircraft ducted-fan or tether car (not likely) as the most probable intended use at least the way I figure it. Have fun and good luck.
gsjames is offline Find More Posts by gsjames
Old May 14, 2009, 10:46 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, QC, Quebec City
Joined Sep 2006
5,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsjames
I see from the groove in the crankshaft that the engine in intended to be started via a "belt" and not via a spinner which implies a buried installation. Since it doesn't have a water-cooled head, that implies that it's not a marine engine. That leaves aircraft ducted-fan or tether car (not likely) as the most probable intended use at least the way I figure it. Have fun and good luck.
The engine as been partially converted to boat use by installing a flywheel and cable connector instead of the prop drive original. The plain venturi imply either Pylon racing or control/line rat racer. The Picco's of that era for marine use all had a different cranckcase with cooling for the head and cylinder which was sometime causing over-cooling with the 21's (bad for ABC liner/piston). For the 45's and 67's it was ok