HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 23, 2007, 12:03 AM
Mom says I'm special...
Aurora, CO
Joined Apr 2003
2,562 Posts
Discussion
My Maxir Experience (thus far):

It's pretty large, but worth the download.

The first two minutes can use some transitions, but I'm working on it:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...mentid=1193234

-Roman
beafraid8 is offline Find More Posts by beafraid8
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2007, 12:18 AM
#include <rcstuff.h>
South Africa, GP, Johannesburg
Joined Jan 2006
691 Posts
Nice video Roman! I think you've captured the ups & downs (no pun ) of heli flying.

I'm sure we're gonna see the Maxir kick some @ss soon.

Cheers,

RH../
Redherring is offline Find More Posts by Redherring
Old Feb 23, 2007, 12:44 AM
Mom says I'm special...
Aurora, CO
Joined Apr 2003
2,562 Posts
Thanks, Red. I'll get it or die trying...
Old Feb 23, 2007, 12:48 AM
Team Mulikow
Manila, Philippines
Joined Oct 2006
9,565 Posts
You were really p_ssed at the kid hehe.
Gino CP is offline Find More Posts by Gino CP
Old Feb 23, 2007, 01:02 AM
Mom says I'm special...
Aurora, CO
Joined Apr 2003
2,562 Posts
How'd you spot that??!?

He didn't speak English, either...BLAH!!!
Old Feb 23, 2007, 09:42 AM
Formerly Denver. Now West Bend, WI
Joined Dec 2005
2,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beafraid8
How'd you spot that??!?

He didn't speak English, either...BLAH!!!
I had a kid chase my heli before. Dumb ass was definitely a candidate for a Darwin Award.
LuckyDuc is offline Find More Posts by LuckyDuc
Old Feb 23, 2007, 03:40 PM
Mom says I'm special...
Aurora, CO
Joined Apr 2003
2,562 Posts
That's the last thing I need!!!

That was frustration number 3,648 of 10,000+ thus far.

Here's a challenge for anyone: Drive around your town all day long and see if you can find a 1.5mm x 6mm screw. Any kind, I don't care.

Pete and Glen, you don't count!!
Old Feb 23, 2007, 03:50 PM
Ship first, Improve often
Virginia
Joined Apr 2005
5,008 Posts
What is it with kids and helis. I too have had problems with youngsters running at the heli. Twice now this has happened with the first time ending in a crash as I dumped the heli and the second one ended with me just poping it way up out of young kiddy hands. At least the kid didn't run at the heli in your video but yeah. Not a distraction you need.
L0stS0ul is offline Find More Posts by L0stS0ul
Old Feb 23, 2007, 09:11 PM
MaxiR, Sniper
Lansdale, PA, USA
Joined Dec 2004
1,151 Posts
Does your hobby shop have tiny mm screws in bags? Mine carries some (I think Dubro labeled parts, actually.) Not sure about 1.5mm though.

There are a bunch of places online, and I've been meaning to just buy a larger quantity than I've ordered from Pete or Glen already to have on hand.

Kids... I try to be on the ground before they are in range. The MaxiR headspeed is high enough to seriously injure someone unaware of the danger. You are the pilot. Unless you have a spotter watching your back, I never fly when I don't know there is space away from people or pets who might get in flight range. If it gets crowded then it's time to stop flying or move to another location.

I try to have it on the ground, then if parents and kids come over to chat, wait and see if the kids are under control or not. Tell them it's dangerous and see if the parents keep them under control. if not, it's time to pack it up. (Or talk to them without flying until their eyes glaze over and they give up and leave. )
Cobra is offline Find More Posts by Cobra
Old Feb 23, 2007, 10:29 PM
Crazy Heli Technogeek
USA, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2004
4,205 Posts
I haven't looked for the 1.5 and 1.6mm screws around locally, but if I were looking for them locally I would start at a place nearby called Tacoma Screw (wonder what was going through their mind when they named that chain of stores, LOL).

I don't think I've seen any of the hobby stores in my area stocking anything smaller than 2mm though .

Every time I've had kids chase my helis or planes I lure them out and away with the model then bring it racing back to land. I wouldn't want them to try to grab it while it's still spinning down on the ground, so I land it close enough to me that I can stop the head with one hand while using the other hand to keep them back. But, even then I've had kids try to grab my radio while flying as well .

I've even had it happen once right as I was running out of juice flying alone with my Maxir at a park, a whole bunch of kids came running out at once (kid's soccer team, out of a minivan that pulled up right behind me), my battery pack wasn't too happy with me flying it around on LVC for a couple minutes extra to find an opportunity to land out of their reach and yet close enough to me that I could get to it first . In fact I ended up having to retire that battery pack as it never flew the same after that (resting voltage only came back up to 9.2v, and it never had good power again).

It does annoy me how many parents don't even keep track of their kids, just last saturday a father pulled up with his daughter, he sat in front of his minivan reading a book while his daughter ran around chasing all our aircraft . I had to land and go ask him to make sure to keep his daughter safe by explaining to him that while most of our aircraft are light and relatively safe, there is always a chance of a mishap and some potential to get hurt.

-Kai

P.S. Roman, don't feel too bad about that tail screw, I snapped one off trying to torque it down "just a smidgeon more" as well, I was pissed, but not at the heli, at myself for trying to manhandle it .
Kai_Shiden is offline Find More Posts by Kai_Shiden
Old Feb 23, 2007, 11:01 PM
Seattle, WA
Joined Apr 2006
1,167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai_Shiden
I haven't looked for the 1.5 and 1.6mm screws around locally, but if I were looking for them locally I would start at a place nearby called Tacoma Screw (wonder what was going through their mind when they named that chain of stores, LOL).
Hey Kai...McClendons in Sumner has screws down to 1.6mm. I felt like I hit the jackpot when I found them while browsing one day. I have wondered about Tacoma Screw's name too ....but haven't checked to see how small of screws they actually carry.
Flynfrfun
flynfrfun is offline Find More Posts by flynfrfun
Old Feb 23, 2007, 11:14 PM
Crazy Heli Technogeek
USA, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2004
4,205 Posts
LOL, then I guess I'll have to stop by McClendon's in Renton sometime. Funny as I used to go down there with my Dad all the time while growing up , now they have a huge store that used to be the Renton K-mart.

I would have never even thought to look there (still think of it as a home improvement store ). I need a bunch of screws for some of my projects, thanks for the heads up!!!

-Kai
Kai_Shiden is offline Find More Posts by Kai_Shiden
Old Feb 23, 2007, 11:19 PM
Radd Graduate '06
United States, MA, Sudbury
Joined Aug 2006
1,820 Posts
I feel for you bro...I faced that scenario for so long with my CP2 and I had to make the hard decision to just cut my losses and move on to bigger and better things (well better anyway). The main draw for me for the MaxiR has always been the fact that I *know with the right tweaking, it'll be all the helicopter I could want or need. That smidgeon of faith keeps me tinkering and maintaining it

I posted on the MaxiR forums a while back regarding what I called the last 5%. If you build the MaxiR with some care, you can maybe get it to 80%-85% tuned. With some tweaking, you can get it to 95%...But that last 5%, man I chased after that last 5% for about a month before I found and nailed all the remaining bugs...Those efforts turned into mini projects of their own like playing with tension in the tail box section, scraping out the bearing molds in the tail box, rebuilding the tail assembly twice, shaving down the spacer, fiddling with those damn L pins, shaving down the roots on the J2S tail feathers, balancing the tail feathers...It may have been the last 5% of tunable options, but it took twice the time to tune out those remaining vibes then it took to build the MaxiR in the first place.

But man - it's there to be had with enough time and patience...and even after as many crashes as I've had, I can still get it to that tuned point with relative ease.

Luckily in your case, you have a fleet of helicopters to have fun with, so you'll always have your MaxiR to come back to when you have the time and motivation to do so.

Dunno what else to say other than keep at it, just take your time
Mochaboy is offline Find More Posts by Mochaboy
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 24, 2007, 01:51 AM
Sudden Freak
Atlanta, GA
Joined Oct 2006
330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beafraid8
Here's a challenge for anyone: Drive around your town all day long and see if you can find a 1.5mm x 6mm screw. Any kind, I don't care.
I believe there's no such thing as M1.5 screw.
there are M1.4 and M1.6 in metric standard. I'm getting nice screws and nuts from here:

http://www.microfasteners.com/catalog/products/MET.cfm
c2po is offline Find More Posts by c2po
Old Feb 24, 2007, 10:13 AM
MaxiR, Sniper
Lansdale, PA, USA
Joined Dec 2004
1,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by c2po
I believe there's no such thing as M1.5 screw.
there are M1.4 and M1.6 in metric standard. I'm getting nice screws and nuts from here:

http://www.microfasteners.com/catalog/products/MET.cfm
That's the goofiest avatar I've seen yet c2po.
Cobra is offline Find More Posts by Cobra