HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 03, 2002, 11:21 AM
Brampton, Canada
Joined Jun 2002
18 Posts
looking for a 3 meter glider

What is a good electric glider around 3 meters for thermalling. I have been following the thread on the xl3200. There are a couple of other birds about the same size from nesail, aero-model, e.t.c. that I would loke to hear about.

I have 10 cell rc2400 packs and an 18X10 aeronaut folder that are sitting around and I would like to put them to use. I am also considering a stong hacker motor to power it (b50).
kaboom is offline Find More Posts by kaboom
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2002, 12:14 PM
Supersonic Engineering
UK, Greater London, Uxbridge
Joined Mar 2001
3,108 Posts
The 2.8m FVK Silent Dream might fit the bill.
GordonTarling is offline Find More Posts by GordonTarling
Old Oct 03, 2002, 12:54 PM
United States, FL, Starke
Joined Apr 2002
2,259 Posts
FVK's K2 LMR. Aero-Models has them but they are not listed on their website. Here's mine (I bought it through them.).

Click on either to see a large version...

Here's a link to a page with some good shots...

http://www.scalesoaring.com/ek-2light/index.htm

dd.
Doc Data is offline Find More Posts by Doc Data
Old Oct 03, 2002, 01:05 PM
Pampigny, Switzerland
Joined Oct 2001
412 Posts
I have just took delivery of the K2 LMR this morning. It's looking very nice and comparing it with my Silent Dream 2.5 it feels the built quality is a touch better. The hinging of the control surfaces is better than it was on my SD. The NACA0009 tails are work of art.

I will be powering mine with B50-8S 6.7:1 running 7 to 10 cells and aeronaut props.
Radek Z is offline Find More Posts by Radek Z
Old Oct 03, 2002, 02:06 PM
MTT
I care about rising air !
West Chester, Ohio
Joined Feb 2002
2,004 Posts
I'm very happy with my Cumulus from CHK/ Shredair . Mine is the electric version, but it is also available as a pure sailplane.
It is also sold by Espritmodels as the Falcon, for a good deal less than at Shredair !

Here is a thread with some pictures and description of the building of mine : Cumulus

Michael
MTT is online now Find More Posts by MTT
Old Oct 03, 2002, 05:39 PM
Brampton, Canada
Joined Jun 2002
18 Posts
First the cumulus,

Has the problems with the hinges being to tight been fixed.

The falcon (esprit) is listed as having a two piece wing while the cumulus (shredair) is listed as a four piece wing, What other differences are there in the models beyond that and price, has anyone flown a falcon.

Did the nose have to be chopped on the electric version or was it already done.

k2,

Where did you find out about this thing, FVK has it on their web site but it is burried in the information section, stats only.

What else has anyone flown that fits the bill.
kaboom is offline Find More Posts by kaboom
Last edited by kaboom; Oct 03, 2002 at 05:44 PM.
Old Oct 03, 2002, 07:40 PM
United States, FL, Starke
Joined Apr 2002
2,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kaboom
Where did you find out about this thing, FVK has it on their web site but it is burried in the information section, stats only.
I was looking for an E-Sailplane after the crash of a Xenath and posted here on the Zone. Someone suggested the K2, pointed out the FVK info page and told me that Aero-Models had it. The rest is history.

dd.
Doc Data is offline Find More Posts by Doc Data
Old Oct 03, 2002, 07:51 PM
MTT
I care about rising air !
West Chester, Ohio
Joined Feb 2002
2,004 Posts
Falcon-cumulus

Kaboom, I don't know if the problem with the hinges being too tight has been fixed by the mfgr, but it really is only a nuisance and easily fixed.
The Cumulus is sold by CHK in Germany as Cumulus (pure sailplane) and as Cumulus e (electric sailplane version )
I bought the Cumulus e from Shredair, and the nose was already chopped off.

As to the Falcon and Cumulus being the same, I thought they were the same based on the post of modest master in the thread about the Cumulus :
Quote:
This plane is made in Czech Republic. The Germans just cut the nose off.

Michael
MTT is online now Find More Posts by MTT
Old Oct 03, 2002, 09:09 PM
Palm Bay, FL, USA
Joined May 2001
1,236 Posts
Cumulus=Falcon

The Falcon has also 4 piece wing. The Cumulus and Falcon are identical planes.
Sorry for bad description, will be fixed. We are in the process of changing almost everything.
modest-master is offline Find More Posts by modest-master
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 03, 2002, 11:23 PM
Electric Airplane Junkie
San Mateo, Ca , USA
Joined Jun 2000
5,586 Posts
I just finished a FVK Graphite-E D-Box 3.1m. On seven rc-2400 with a RFM 20x13 prop. Motor is a Lehner 1525/8 w/7:1 gearbox. It draws only 60 amp, need more to keep up with LMR folks. Under 70 oz. FLys pretty nice, still need to trim out the plane.

Brian
bhchan is offline Find More Posts by bhchan
Old Oct 04, 2002, 12:00 AM
Pampigny, Switzerland
Joined Oct 2001
412 Posts
K2 Info: http://www.fvk.de/Englisch/K2%20Light.htm

BTW: Is there anyone who could email me the English version of instructions in electronic form? I have the German version which is a major pain.
Radek Z is offline Find More Posts by Radek Z
Old Oct 05, 2002, 10:57 PM
North Carolina
Joined Oct 2002
65 Posts
XL3200

I absolutely love my XL3200!! Went together well and is beautifully made. Sal recommended the Kontronik 1001 and it is a joy to fly. Will not tip stall and has no bad habits. Lands easily and accurately with the crow. You will not be disappointed with this plane. It is a great value.
rmartin is offline Find More Posts by rmartin