HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 22, 2007, 09:12 PM
Cleveland, Ohio
Joined Sep 2006
640 Posts
Discussion
Star Wars Snowspeeder....

Just finished up with my scratch built Snowspeeder and am waiting for the weather to get above zero and wind below 40mph to maiden this bad boy. I will try to get some video.

The craft is appr. 2ft X 2 ft and 24 oz RTF with 3 cell lipo and 35mm hex. brushless motor+ apc 8X6 pusher prop.

Thanks for looking

John
xtremeRCpilot is offline Find More Posts by xtremeRCpilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2007, 09:41 PM
Just one more flight...
Pasadena Cal-i-Forn-I-AY!
Joined Sep 2005
1,333 Posts
What the H?! You are going to fly this?

Amazing work. Its absolutely scale. How did you do that?

Dave
RCSuperPowers is offline Find More Posts by RCSuperPowers
Old Feb 22, 2007, 09:53 PM
Phlathead
Roseville, CA
Joined Aug 2006
624 Posts
Amazing, and brave too. Scale control surfaces, wow! I would be quite a bit concerned about the minimal airflow to the prop since it is mostly obstructed.

Good luck and I'm hoping for a positive flight report!
ToxicToast is offline Find More Posts by ToxicToast
Old Feb 22, 2007, 09:56 PM
Cleveland, Ohio
Joined Sep 2006
640 Posts
Thanks Dave, I basically took some pics from my small model and scaled them up on paper to get the basic geometry. Then it was all a crap shoot from there. It would be interesting for me to duplicate this as there was alot of trial and error during the build. It was alot of fun and I cant wait to maiden it to see if it was worth all the effort. ...

Toxic... I was a little concerned about that myself but after doing some bench tests, this thing about shot across the room. At least 2:1 power to weight and there was plenty of air movement( at least on the bench) It seems that the fins bring a little directional air right to the prop. I will let you know how it goes.
Old Feb 22, 2007, 10:59 PM
Roswell, New Mexico, United States
Joined Aug 2004
48 Posts
I love it can i get a set of plans
i have a bundle of ultra fold that needs a project (I dont even care if it flys but have a outrunner that needs a home)
Russ
magicruss is offline Find More Posts by magicruss
Old Feb 22, 2007, 11:20 PM
Caution:Makes sharp left turns
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Feb 1999
6,014 Posts
Beautiful job!

Not to be a buzz-kill, but I don't see any vertical stabilizers and that is a recipe for disaster on a pusher delta model like that. You may want to least make some clear ones.

This is what lack of vertical area does in flight:
http://www.rcuvideos.com/view_video....8d4879fbb50d9a
Troy is offline Find More Posts by Troy
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 22, 2007, 11:43 PM
I am the BBQ Ninja
United States, MN, Woodbury
Joined Jan 2003
3,721 Posts
The only Advice I can think of is to move the motor/prop back a couple of inches or get a larger prop. I had a similar problem with my space shuttle...
Willmsy is offline Find More Posts by Willmsy
Old Feb 23, 2007, 12:25 AM
Just one more flight...
Joined Sep 2005
1,333 Posts
John,

If you are really going to fly this awesome ship, here is an idea from experience...

I now do this on all my experimental "non-airplanes" like this and it gives me a successful first flight every time!

What I would do with this plane is put a temporary HUGE stable wing on the bottom of it. Give it a nice flat bottom, maybe a delta type wing. Something that you know will fly.

Also give it a HUGE vertical stabilizer. The bigger, the more stable.

Then make sure the plane's CG is just a little more nose heavy than you think it should be. (Nose heavy is good in experimental flights.) Make sure it has plenty of power and elevon control to pull out of trouble.

For the first flight do everything you can to take it up as high as you can and then start to trim it out. Just get some altitude!

These ugly wings and tail are like "training wheels". Fly the plane and cut them down inch by inch each flight on the field.

This way you are working from a known stable platform and working your way down to your original model. This way with each flight you cut another inch off the wings and then after that the tail. If it starts to go crazy you know you will really be in trouble without them, and you can then stop before your plane crashes.

Let me know if that makes sense...

Dave
Old Feb 23, 2007, 12:29 AM
Just one more flight...
Joined Sep 2005
1,333 Posts
I got to say again before I go, just amazing work and scale detail, just amazing. I am so impressed and can't think of anything I have ever seen with such detailed craftsmanship. I am just absolutely blown away that you built that.
Old Feb 23, 2007, 12:52 AM
Permanently Banned
Gig Harbor, Washington, United States
Joined Sep 2003
8,434 Posts
Awesome work!

Larry
Larry3215 is offline Find More Posts by Larry3215
Old Feb 23, 2007, 02:55 AM
Battling on regardless
Melbourne,Australia
Joined Sep 2006
311 Posts
Fantastic detailing! The very best of luck on your maiden, be sure to post some pics/vid, good or bad. This is a good one to share some results from.

Again, best of luck.

Andrew.
Kombatant is offline Find More Posts by Kombatant
Old Feb 23, 2007, 03:40 AM
My plans are in my blog
Kotzebue, Alaska
Joined May 2006
5,416 Posts
I'd be hesitant to fly something done this well. Excellent work, dude.
Rusty-Gunn is offline Find More Posts by Rusty-Gunn
Old Feb 23, 2007, 06:13 AM
Crash N Learn
Brunswick OHIO
Joined Apr 2006
59 Posts
Sa-weeet! Star Wars is great..brings me back to my childhood. I had a snow speeder! Great work. You have some skills Xtreme!

If anyone could get a flying Ty-fighter or X-wing fighter that would kick butt.
DJ88 is offline Find More Posts by DJ88
Old Feb 23, 2007, 07:22 AM
Cleveland, Ohio
Joined Sep 2006
640 Posts
Thanks guys, I am greatful for all your positive response and suggestions.
I dont have any plans for this as it was basically trial and error. I may do another if succesful and document all the details.

Dave.. I have a bit of dehedril under the wing surface and if the cg is placed perfect I hope to get it to fly with just basic banking characteristics. I will experiment with different fins and such till I get her to fly stable. thanks for the advice and I will let you know hopefully with vids....

Im hoping with possible success of this craft to experiment with other Star Wars favorites( x-wing imperial shuttle etc...)

Thanks again for all the nice words!!!!

John
Old Feb 23, 2007, 07:36 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,132 Posts
XTRC... Before endangering all your beautiful work , you might consider making a simple profile model of it and using that for flight "testing"...It is VERY NICE!!!! Too nice to ruin...Really !!!
gpw is online now Find More Posts by gpw