RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 28, 2007, 06:52 PM
Pasco County Florida
Joined Dec 2006
1,111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkarpy
The decal has a contact sheet that sticks to the none-sticky side of the decal. This holds everything in place while you apply the decal.
I wish I would have asked before I put my decal on. My way was a real . It looked to me like the contact sheet adhesive would adhere to the SSX covering like the decal is supposed to. Oh well, next time I will know better.

Here is a picture of my SSX kit complete with decal.

Bob
Bayward is offline Find More Posts by Bayward
Old Mar 28, 2007, 08:41 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayward
I wish I would have asked before I put my decal on. My way was a real . It looked to me like the contact sheet adhesive would adhere to the SSX covering like the decal is supposed to. Oh well, next time I will know better.

Here is a picture of my SSX kit complete with decal.

Bob
That looks great! It will fly much better with that decal!
jkarpy is offline Find More Posts by jkarpy
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 29, 2007, 07:01 AM
England, UK
Joined Feb 2007
110 Posts
Bayward,

What engine is that on your SSX? Looks great! (Jealous)
duckalliance is offline Find More Posts by duckalliance
Old Mar 29, 2007, 08:42 AM
Pasco County Florida
Joined Dec 2006
1,111 Posts
The motor is an Axi 2217/16. Supposed to be good for sport flyers in the 21 to 42 ounce weight range. My SSX AUW is between 26 and 27 ounces so the motor should not have to work that hard to keep the plane moving.

Bob
Old Apr 01, 2007, 09:54 AM
Pasco County Florida
Joined Dec 2006
1,111 Posts
Good news, mine will fly ! Not only will she fly, she flies terrific and fast , at least fast for this novice RC pilot.

Remember, I have never flown a plane with ailerons prior to this and I have very little recent RC flying experience. My only recent experience ( in the last ~30 years ) is with a standard brushless Slow Stick.

It was perfect this morning. Cool for South Florida at 66, sunny and so calm you could hear dogs barking over a mile away. I burned up a battery in my standard SS and started to put my second battery in the SS when I thought, "No better time than now". So the second battery went in the SSX.

I put the SSX on the ground and did a pre-flight. Everything checked out good so I pushed the throttle about 1/2 forward. Off the SSX goes like a shot. A tiny bit of up elevator and up it goes. A little right aileron and she rolls hard right, sensitive. I am not ready or accustomed to that amount of sensitivity and over correct to the left. Whoa, heart is racing I can't crash this soon. Okay, I get her leveled out, I am way too close to mother earth, no mistake altitude left. A little up elevator, too much , she is almost straight up. I relax my thumbs and get her flattened out. I am now thinking I should have brought extra underwear with me this morning.

I finally get the hang of the amount of stick I have to use to make gentle movements. Still flying in a circular pattern afraid to try a figure eight. Finally get enough courage and confidence to do some figure eights and an accidental tight loop. In hind sight I probably should have set up dual rates on the DX7.

The thought comes to me that I will have to land this thing at some point and better now than dead stick. I bring her in and once again use too much up elevator trying to flair and cause a little porpoise inches above the deck. No harm done. Whew ! I am ready for more. I give her throttle again, the SSX goes about three feet and the motor stops dead. Wow, I was that close to running out of battery. Someone was watching over me a few minutes earlier.

I think the battery went down very quick. I say I think because I did not look at my watch and really have no clue how long I was up. It seemed quite short, in the ten minute or so range. When I first started flying the standard SS I thought run times were too short until I put a timer on them. I was flying over thirty minutes on a battery ! So my mind may have been playing tricks on me again with the SSX.

The SSX did not even require any trim. It flew great right off the bench, so to speak. Once I become accustomed to the amount of stick to use this will be a lot of fun to fly.

Bob
Old Apr 01, 2007, 10:22 AM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Good news, mine will fly ! Not only will she fly, she flies terrific and fast , at least fast for this novice RC pilot.

Remember, I have never flown a plane with ailerons prior to this and I have very little recent RC flying experience. My only recent experience ( in the last ~30 years ) is with a standard brushless Slow Stick.

It was perfect this morning. Cool for South Florida at 66, sunny and so calm you could hear dogs barking over a mile away. I burned up a battery in my standard SS and started to put my second battery in the SS when I thought, "No better time than now". So the second battery went in the SSX.

I put the SSX on the ground and did a pre-flight. Everything checked out good so I pushed the throttle about 1/2 forward. Off the SSX goes like a shot. A tiny bit of up elevator and up it goes. A little right aileron and she rolls hard right, sensitive. I am not ready or accustomed to that amount of sensitivity and over correct to the left. Whoa, heart is racing I can't crash this soon. Okay, I get her leveled out, I am way too close to mother earth, no mistake altitude left. A little up elevator, too much , she is almost straight up. I relax my thumbs and get her flattened out. I am now thinking I should have brought extra underwear with me this morning.

I finally get the hang of the amount of stick I have to use to make gentle movements. Still flying in a circular pattern afraid to try a figure eight. Finally get enough courage and confidence to do some figure eights and an accidental tight loop. In hind sight I probably should have set up dual rates on the DX7.

The thought comes to me that I will have to land this thing at some point and better now than dead stick. I bring her in and once again use too much up elevator trying to flair and cause a little porpoise inches above the deck. No harm done. Whew ! I am ready for more. I give her throttle again, the SSX goes about three feet and the motor stops dead. Wow, I was that close to running out of battery. Someone was watching over me a few minutes earlier.

I think the battery went down very quick. I say I think because I did not look at my watch and really have no clue how long I was up. It seemed quite short, in the ten minute or so range. When I first started flying the standard SS I thought run times were too short until I put a timer on them. I was flying over thirty minutes on a battery ! So my mind may have been playing tricks on me again with the SSX.

The SSX did not even require any trim. It flew great right off the bench, so to speak. Once I become accustomed to the amount of stick to use this will be a lot of fun to fly.

Bob
Dual rates and little expo may be in order here. It sounds like the plane is flying on the heavy side and has a little more power than usual. You may want to try flying the SSX without all the mods you made. My heaviest model yet only weighs 21 oz. When landing a correct weighted SSX it should be able to float in like a Stock Slow Stick.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 01, 2007, 10:53 AM
EDF Addicted
Ocala,Florida
Joined Sep 2005
5,310 Posts
James,let me know if u'll have the wing and tail u fixed for me ready at SEFF. I have a 180 watt motor i'd like to try on one of these. Thanks
MustangAce17 is offline Find More Posts by MustangAce17
Old Apr 01, 2007, 10:56 AM
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Mar 2004
3,167 Posts
What does the kit for this plane consist of ? I already have the SS in total stock form flying good... but am interested in this upgrade...
Nice job there guys... it looks great!
DGrant is offline Find More Posts by DGrant
Old Apr 01, 2007, 04:42 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgrant
What does the kit for this plane consist of ? I already have the SS in total stock form flying good... but am interested in this upgrade...
Nice job there guys... it looks great!
The kit consists of all the laser cut parts to build the wing and tail section. The kit also includes balsa sheeting and basswood spars. The only piece of hardware that is needed and not part of the Slow Stick hardware is the control arms for the ailerons. All other hardware is from the Slow Stick.

Slow Stick hardware deeded:
Control arms (Rudder and Elevator)
4 Control Horns
Landing gear (front and rear)
Wing mounts front and back
Servo mounts
Battery holders
Control arm guide
Misc. screws

Additional items:
Motor and speed controller
Motor mount
3 or 4 sub micro servos
Receiver
Battery

This is the link to buy the kit online.
http://www.gravesrc.com/MRC_SLOW_STI...T_p/mrcssx.htm
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 01, 2007, 04:45 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangAce17
James,let me know if u'll have the wing and tail u fixed for me ready at SEFF. I have a 180 watt motor i'd like to try on one of these. Thanks

I will bring it to SEFF. it is fixed. Just bring your Slow Stick Fuselage and an aileron servo.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 01, 2007, 04:56 PM
EDF Addicted
Ocala,Florida
Joined Sep 2005
5,310 Posts
ok cool. Thanks,PM with what $ i owe u so i can bring it with me set aside
MustangAce17 is offline Find More Posts by MustangAce17
Old Apr 01, 2007, 07:02 PM
Pasco County Florida
Joined Dec 2006
1,111 Posts
Quote:
Dual rates and little expo may be in order here. It sounds like the plane is flying on the heavy side and has a little more power than usual. You may want to try flying the SSX without all the mods you made. My heaviest model yet only weighs 21 oz. When landing a correct weighted SSX it should be able to float in like a Stock Slow Stick.
James, nothing wrong with the SSX in my opinion. My inexperience is what is causing the SSX to do what it did.

The plane would float in for a landing if I would let it and were able to keep it precisely lined up between the rows of pallets of stone. My flying field is a huge storage yard of pallets of stone. The adjoining truck parking lot is my "airport". I was nervous flying the SSX for the first time to boot. On the advice of another very experienced RC'er I am going to put about -65 expo on the sticks for the next flight. Although I bet if I just continued on with no changes I would have the SSX doing mild aerobatics in three of four more flights. The SSX is a good plane.

Bob
Old Apr 01, 2007, 07:17 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
James, nothing wrong with the SSX in my opinion. My inexperience is what is causing the SSX to do what it did.

The plane would float in for a landing if I would let it and were able to keep it precisely lined up between the rows of pallets of stone. My flying field is a huge storage yard of pallets of stone. The adjoining truck parking lot is my "airport". I was nervous flying the SSX for the first time to boot. On the advice of another very experienced RC'er I am going to put about -65 expo on the sticks for the next flight. Although I bet if I just continued on with no changes I would have the SSX doing mild aerobatics in three of four more flights. The SSX is a good plane.

Bob
Pallets of Stone !
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 01, 2007, 07:51 PM
Pasco County Florida
Joined Dec 2006
1,111 Posts
Quote:
Pallets of Stone !
Yes, and you can take my word that a standard SS cannot move a two ton pallet of stone, regardless of how fast the SS is going.

Bob