Old Jul 05, 2012, 11:30 AM
United States, ID, CDA
Joined Dec 2010
333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokee Flyer View Post
How did it range check?

L.
Range check was okay ...This Rx is bad ,I've had 3 other crash's with these in other planes...The reason I tried it in this plane was ,someone said don't have anything else electrical near this Rx and you'll be ok....so that's what I did with this one...I put it more than 2 in. from everything...I'll post a video soon and you can clearly see the the moment it fluttered and rolled locked up, with the power up.....the exact same thing as the other planes and the same altitude and distance out about 100 yds. so in my next email to the folks I bought it from they can watch the video and see where it was mounted and the flight
planesilver is offline Find More Posts by planesilver
Old Jul 06, 2012, 12:05 AM
United States, ID, CDA
Joined Dec 2010
333 Posts
Here's the luckiest straight in power up out of control death spiral yet ...!! A cheap 2.4 dsm2 Rx is not the way to go...Ilived up to my club nickname "Lucky"

SSX crash (4 min 26 sec)

Everything just locked up...You'll notice a flutter in the aileron and a split second later a death roll
Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:48 PM
United States, ID, CDA
Joined Dec 2010
333 Posts
Went back up with my ssx today this plane is great...!!! What a fun flyer...Now I have to build the Bipe after that first flight even though it went down due to the Rx ,I knew from just 30 seconds of flight that this was a great flying plane...required very little trim to fly level and true,...moved the wing and batt. about 1/2 in forward on the second flight and I almost thought I had autopilot
Old Jul 20, 2012, 01:32 AM
BGR
Foam Junkie
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Dec 2003
1,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by planesilver View Post
Here's the luckiest straight in power up out of control death spiral yet ...!! A cheap 2.4 dsm2 Rx is not the way to go...Ilived up to my club nickname "Lucky"

Everything just locked up...You'll notice a flutter in the aileron and a split second later a death roll
A couple of observations in the video you posted.

Your TX antenna is pointed straight out and your following the airplane with it. In that configuration your signal radiation pattern is at its worst. The omni directional antenna transmits its strongest signal out the sides and not much in the direction the antenna is pointing.

The stated 1000 foot range may have been cut in half. Putting the TX antenna at 90 deg. left or right will project the main lobe of the radiation pattern out towards your airplane.
BGR is offline Find More Posts by BGR
Old Jul 20, 2012, 09:25 AM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGR View Post
A couple of observations in the video you posted.

Your TX antenna is pointed straight out and your following the airplane with it. In that configuration your signal radiation pattern is at its worst. The omni directional antenna transmits its strongest signal out the sides and not much in the direction the antenna is pointing.

The stated 1000 foot range may have been cut in half. Putting the TX antenna at 90 deg. left or right will project the main lobe of the radiation pattern out towards your airplane.
Great observation! That is a fact, I have heard it strait from Spektrum.

James
jkarpy is offline Find More Posts by jkarpy
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 22, 2012, 07:53 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,023 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwhavens View Post
SSX with Hobbyzone Super Cub floats, rudder tail gear, two X gear, 250watt motor and 1800mah Lipo. 1/4 inch (about 1.5 degrees) positive incidence added to wing. The setup puts the step just about at the center of gravity. Taxis, takes off and lands easily. Some down trim needed in level flight. Squats a bit with reduced throttle.
Too coool! Thanks for the speks. Chris
Wamp is offline Find More Posts by Wamp
Old Jul 26, 2012, 02:32 PM
Happy on 72
USA, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Jul 2005
492 Posts
PlaneSilver,
I also noticed that you were standing right behind the chain link fence. You lost control right as the line of sight to the plane was blocked by the fence. That could that have also contributed to the problem.

Mike
mwhitman is offline Find More Posts by mwhitman
Last edited by mwhitman; Jul 27, 2012 at 04:20 PM.
Old Aug 01, 2012, 12:42 PM
United States, ID, CDA
Joined Dec 2010
333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhitman View Post
PlaneSilver,
I also noticed that you were standing right behind the chain link fence. You lost control right as the line of sight to the plane was blocked by the fence. That could that have also contributed to the problem.

Mike
I thank everyone for the help ..I've only been flying a couple of years and I'm learning everyday I go to the field or log on here on RCG..Here's a better maiden with very little trimming I love this plane !!!
SSX maiden II (5 min 45 sec)
Old Aug 01, 2012, 12:47 PM
United States, ID, CDA
Joined Dec 2010
333 Posts
I'll watch out for the antenna next time I take it out of the case...I have heard that before too!!
Old Aug 01, 2012, 01:42 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
I thank everyone for the help ..I've only been flying a couple of years and I'm learning everyday I go to the field or log on here on RCG..Here's a better maiden with very little trimming I love this plane !!!
https://vimeo.com/46761012
Yes, move the wing forward. it looks a tad bit pitch sensitive.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 02, 2012, 06:04 PM
United States, ID, CDA
Joined Dec 2010
333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkarpy View Post
Yes, move the wing forward. it looks a tad bit pitch sensitive.
Not any room to move the wing forward so,if I move the tail feathers back I should only move them 1/4 of what I would move the wing forward is that correct? I've heard that on"any unit of wieght in front of the CG, is multiplied by 4 in back of the CG " !!
Last edited by planesilver; Aug 02, 2012 at 06:15 PM.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 06:17 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Not any room to move the wing forward so,if I move the tail feathers back I should only move them 1/4 of what I would move the wing forward is that correct?
No just move the tail as far as possible. CG can be as much as 1.5" back from the spar. However you should verify that the incidence is at zero. You should be able to invert with no change to the trim. Applying down elevator when inverted should not be necessary.

James
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 03, 2012, 11:38 AM
United States, ID, CDA
Joined Dec 2010
333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkarpy View Post
No just move the tail as far as possible. CG can be as much as 1.5" back from the spar. However you should verify that the incidence is at zero. You should be able to invert with no change to the trim. Applying down elevator when inverted should not be necessary.

James
I cut the push rods at 5/8th in. extra so,I only have about 1/2 in to move the tail ..I hope that will help or I'll need to move the servo's back also...I can get another 1/2 in. moving the servo's....On second thought maybe new push rods are the answer !!

Even with the trainer wing I won't need down elevator inverted ?
Last edited by planesilver; Aug 03, 2012 at 02:01 PM.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 11:35 AM
United States, AR, Lockesburg
Joined Feb 2012
1,008 Posts
Getting the Slow Stick X down off the shelf. Replaced the old glitching Fatuba with a DX6i. No fun flying without control of the aircraft 100% of the time. I am wondering about the exact placement location of the AR6115e receiver and the orientation of the antenna?
Petrie is online now Find More Posts by Petrie