SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 23, 2011, 10:45 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasek View Post
Do you mean they need to be cut to fit from scrap, or are these pieces already cut on a sheet? If so, I am not seeing them on any of my sheets.

There are a few pieces on the sheets that are about 2in x 3.5in that are not labeled. Are these what I am supposed to use?

James, my sincerest apologies for the possibly inane questions. Honestly, I am nervous in building this as I know from my history, if I can mess it up, I will mess it up.
Take a picture of the parts and sheets you have. I want to see if you are missing some parts. Also take some pictures of your progress so I can see what is going on. You can e-mail me if you don't want to post.

James
jkarpy is offline Find More Posts by jkarpy
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2011, 08:06 PM
Let the vortex pull my weight.
Joined Aug 2009
287 Posts
I sent you an e-mail with the pictures of the sheets/parts. I'll post my build pics here. I would certainly imagine it's not the best build, but I most definately hope it's not the worst you've seen either .
Hasek is offline Find More Posts by Hasek
Old Jan 24, 2011, 08:43 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
I sent you an e-mail with the pictures of the sheets/parts. I'll post my build pics here. I would certainly imagine it's not the best build, but I most definately hope it's not the worst you've seen either .
Looks like you are doing fine. The sheeting I pointed-out is trimmed to fit in front of the spar.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 25, 2011, 08:57 PM
Joined Aug 2009
287 Posts
Thanks James. I have the one wing half finished. So far only two minor problems that were my doing. They were both straightened out.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 05:24 PM
I'm slow but I'm expensive
United States, GA, Snellville
Joined Nov 2003
582 Posts
5 general questions

James,
Thanks for the response to my questions. And thank you for the very kind offer. I will have to take a pass on it. If I don't cut my expenses then it gets hard to ask the rest of the family to do so. I also have a lot of projects in the workshop to use up spare time during the job search.

I am recovering the plane and noticed that you have added a couple of stringers to the LE section of the wing. I will install a set as I can get to it now.

With great respect and many thanks,
Ken
Ken Lilja is offline Find More Posts by Ken Lilja
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 27, 2011, 05:34 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Lilja View Post
James,
Thanks for the response to my questions. And thank you for the very kind offer. I will have to take a pass on it. If I don't cut my expenses then it gets hard to ask the rest of the family to do so. I also have a lot of projects in the workshop to use up spare time during the job search.

I am recovering the plane and noticed that you have added a couple of stringers to the LE section of the wing. I will install a set as I can get to it now.

With great respect and many thanks,
Ken
Thanks for the kind words,

On the new wing, I did a total redesign on both the leading and trailing edge. The stringers were part of that. They are not needed on the old design. The leading edge sheeting served the same purpose

James.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 11, 2011, 07:01 PM
Joined Aug 2009
287 Posts
James,

I'm moving right along and have some more questions.

1. The hinge slot pieces. Six of them are larger than the others. I would think because there are six, they would be for the rudder? Although the ones that are sized the same as the aileron hinge slots fit fine in the spots in the rudder. The larger ones seem too big/wider than needed.

2a. Extra pieces. Other that the above mentioned rudder hinge slot pieces, I will need eight for the elevator. I have six of the larger hinge slot pieces and 10 of the smaller ones. I believe I only need a total of 14, and I have 16.

2b. Rear wing saddle. I have one P8 on each edge and the P10 (I think it was) in the middle. I have an extra P8.

3. When you build an SSX by the manual, out of curiosity, how long does it take you?

4. Step 10, what's the story with someone gluing their face to the wing?
Old Feb 14, 2011, 10:01 AM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
James,

I'm moving right along and have some more questions.

1. The hinge slot pieces. Six of them are larger than the others. I would think because there are six, they would be for the rudder? Although the ones that are sized the same as the aileron hinge slots fit fine in the spots in the rudder. The larger ones seem too big/wider than needed.

The six that are wider and etched with alignment marks are for the ailerons. Two of the narrower hinge blocks are for the wing tips and the rest are for the stabs.

2a. Extra pieces. Other that the above mentioned rudder hinge slot pieces, I will need eight for the elevator. I have six of the larger hinge slot pieces and 10 of the smaller ones. I believe I only need a total of 14, and I have 16.

See above

2b. Rear wing saddle. I have one P8 on each edge and the P10 (I think it was) in the middle. I have an extra P8.

Yes the kit has an extra P8. P9 (P9T for Trainer) goes in the middle. The two P8s go on the ends.

3. When you build an SSX by the manual, out of curiosity, how long does it take you?

2 hours

4. Step 10, what's the story with someone gluing their face to the wing?
Just my humor
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2011, 07:23 AM
Joined Aug 2009
287 Posts
Thanks for the answers James. I didn't put the wider hinge blocks in the ailerons. Since step 29 states to sand them down level with the wing and aileron frame, I don't see me using the wrong ones as an issue, correct? I was certain to make sure the hinge slot was centered top to bottom.

How was E-Fest?
Old Feb 16, 2011, 07:47 AM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the answers James. I didn't put the wider hinge blocks in the ailerons. Since step 29 states to sand them down level with the wing and aileron frame, I don't see me using the wrong ones as an issue, correct? I was certain to make sure the hinge slot was centered top to bottom.

How was E-Fest?

It will only be a cosmetic problem because you will not be able to contour the hinge block with the taper of the Trailing edge.

I did not go to E-Fest.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 21, 2011, 04:30 PM
United States, KS, Rose Hill
Joined Sep 2007
991 Posts
James;

Got mine and have it all broke out, pretty good laser cutting, but a couple of the 3/16 stuff needed a little help. Have the fuselage pretty well slid together, only have one piece of the 10 mm square, is that correct? Going to start putting the sticks together. Nice kit!!

L.
Cherokee Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Cherokee Flyer
Old Feb 21, 2011, 05:30 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokee Flyer View Post
James;

Got mine and have it all broke out, pretty good laser cutting, but a couple of the 3/16 stuff needed a little help. Have the fuselage pretty well slid together, only have one piece of the 10 mm square, is that correct? Going to start putting the sticks together. Nice kit!!

L.
Some times I send out full length 800 mm fuselages to a lucky few.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 21, 2011, 06:39 PM
United States, KS, Rose Hill
Joined Sep 2007
991 Posts
Ah Ha

L.

Thanks by the way!
Cherokee Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Cherokee Flyer
Old Feb 22, 2011, 09:20 PM
OOPS